Vinyl disillusionment

25 minutes ago, maximus said:

Don't be fooled into thinking digital is a sub standard medium, I've heard many digital setups that wipe the floor with vinyl. As we know, both can sound very good, but to achieve a good digital setup, you've got to fork out thousands, a lot more than a Topping d10.  

Really? And to set up a good vinyl playback system you need to know what your doing.

How attached are you to the exact dimensions of the cabinet? Could you cut the legs down by a couple of inches?

I’m thinking it might buy you some space to angle brace a shelf sitting on the sill as @Simonon suggested. 

Edited by buddyev

• Volunteer
19 minutes ago, blybo said:

Trevor, is your current abode a rental? Is that the reasoning against a shelf? I think there could still be room for a shelf just below the window ledge and have it hover only a few mm above the cabinet.

Even if a rental, would the owner not allow a wall shelf if it's brought back to prior condition when vacating?

Not a rental.

The reasoning is what it is

27 minutes ago, maximus said:

As we know, both can sound very good, but to achieve a good digital setup, you've got to fork out thousands,

Rubbish. Absolute tosh.

Sorry but I disagree.

You get a system which has a nice synergy going on within it's environment, the room it's in, the speakers, the amp, the...yes indeed, "the" what?

Streamed music, CDP through a dac, nice budget PC audio?

I've heard some lovely PC audio and it's on systems that top out at 1.5K maybe.

Recently listened to a streamed system that ran through an amp the price of mid sized SUV and Speakers that priced out at a big Lexus or used Cayenne, better?  ...yeah the speakers were fantastic but the digital side came from a free app and a 2.5K streamer with built in DAC and a 2nd hand Powernode2 does nearly the same job and I just sold mine for $690.

So no, I don't think you do need to fork out thousands. If you want to play in the DAC wars room then fine but if not, I think you can go digital rather cheaply and get a sound that's hard to beat for ease of use.

* A nice vinyl setup as has been told here ad nauseum in heaps and heaps and heaps of threads ever since SNA started, is going to sound better. Even with a pop and a click or a hiss.

It just is different and...better.

@blybo  Trevor's house is his own and it's been extensively renovated and where the system is situated you can't put a shelf into the wall. He's going to have to bite the bullet and ditch that cabinet and get a proper rack in that fits in with his decor and the family.

@Sir Sanders Zingmore...speak to the EGG when he gets back from OS in a month. He just went through what your going through and got a rack.

• Volunteer
5 minutes ago, buddyev said:

How attached are you to the exact dimensions of the cabinet? Could you cut the legs down by a couple of inches?

I’m thinking it might buy you some space to angle brace a shelf sitting on the sill as suggested. 

I can almost fit the TT on the window sill alone. It's only a couple of cm too short. So I could just pop a bit of wood underneath and see if that fixes the problem

The issue with having it there permanently is that it's a bit of a pain to lean over the cabinet to get to the TT.

Also, it gets direct sunlight (the window faces north west)

Just buy one of these LINK and then put either squash balls, bike inner tube or sorbothane underneath and see how it goes.

Might give you an idea of better isolation will help out and can still have it in the same place for easy access to your turntable.

2 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I can almost fit the TT on the window sill alone. It's only a couple of cm too short. So I could just pop a bit of wood underneath and see if that fixes the problem

The issue with having it there permanently is that it's a bit of a pain to lean over the cabinet to get to the TT.

Also, it gets direct sunlight (the window faces north west)

Yes that’s a pain and I don’t think it would look real good. I think you’re going to want all your kit in the same line. 

It might not be ideal - nothing ever is - but I think some kind of isolation on top of the cabinet is the simplest way to go. It’s about finding a compromise you can live with and this is a cheap experiment which will let you find out pretty quickly if you need to come up with something more exotic. 

• Like 2

• Volunteer
4 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

Just buy one of these LINK and then put either squash balls, bike inner tube or sorbothane underneath and see how it goes.

Might give you an idea of better isolation will help out and can still have it in the same place for easy access to your turntable.

It's a real pain 'cos the TT is quite big (40cm x 55cm) and most chopping boards I've looked at, including the one you linked to, are a tiny bit too small

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore

1 minute ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

It's a real pain 'cos the TT is quite big (40cm x 55cm) and most chopping boards I've looked at, including the one you linked to, are a tiny bit too small

I don't remember seeing it, that you need to keep that cabinet. I know you said you cant use a wall shelf. I said on page one to isolate the turntable with another stable stand.

Funny thing is, everyone said your system sounded great with vinyl but you have had enough. Only thing I can think of is sell the table and get a decent digital streaming system.

5 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I have an Ikea Lack table top 55 x 55 which I used under my TT. You can have that if you like. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I looked up the size and your turntable before posting and they are almost a perfect match. :)

chopping board - 530x460 

Turntable - dimensions: 532 x 212 x 406mm

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

• Volunteer
3 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

I looked up the size and your turntable before posting and they are almost a perfect match. :)

chopping board - 530x460 

Turntable - dimensions: 532 x 212 x 406mm

I just measured it very roughly (obviously)… that board may work if your dimensions are correct :)

14 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Chopping board only has to be size of the TT's feet to do the experiment. You can buy sheets of Bamboo ply and cut them down to any size you like... if the experiment gives you the solution to the issue.

Guest Simonon

I would see how it sounds on the window sill as it is easy to do. The sound improvement may make you want to explore further. If you play with other options at least you have a reference. Anything other than the window sill will be a compromise for isolation as you will never eliminate it with your floorboards and cabinet it will also cost more. I can picture what you need to do but unfortunately I am in Adelaide. A nice cover will protect your turntable when not in use from the sun.

Guest Point source
On 04/11/2018 at 4:52 PM, yamaha_man said:

Listen here short shanks, if I want sh!t from you ill squeeze your head. ?

Check this out, haven’t tried them yet..

• Volunteer

Update: 

I borrowed a Lack tabletop and some squash balls and sorbothane feet (thanks @buddyev). 

The immediate result is noticeable  improvement. Lower noise floor with less rumble. I haven’t been able to test anything  at high volumes yet but the bass seems to have tightened as well. 

Still have some hiss though. But that is from the phono stage. 

A good result. Thanks to everyone for their input :)

4E90410E-603E-4700-8277-A6E3EE919E8D.thumb.jpeg.2876189ff18962f7dd2b914cd10f526c.jpeg

• Like 5