Vinyl disillusionment

4 minutes ago, PKay said:

The Whest is much better, also a lot more expensive. 

The P75/is very good and will only take up a small amount of realestate 

We all hear so differently isn’t it?

I remember comparing theP75 to the RCM Sensor 2 and I preferred the P75.

Might be something to do with the enhanced mode current drive and no loading to suit my xx2

• Volunteer
21 minutes ago, Musician said:

Might be something to do with the enhanced mode current drive and no loading to suit my xx2

I’ve been on the lookout for a P75, I even had a WTB post. But no luck. 

I have that very same A Perfect Circle record and it is both surprisingly and disappointingly noisy, the rest of their albums sound great but this is a big let down for me in this regard. 

• Volunteer
6 minutes ago, mtf said:

I have that very same A Perfect Circle record and it is both surprisingly and disappointingly noisy, the rest of their albums sound great but this is a big let down for me in this regard. 

I have barely listened to the vinyl.

I do however, love the album and have been listening to it on high rotation via Tidal. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I have barely listened to the vinyl.

I do however, love the album and have been listening to it on high rotation via Tidal. 

I am in the same boat, mostly listened via Tidal and really enjoy the album 

• Like 1

I was running my xx2 mk2 with a P75 mk3 for a while... which was pretty good in enhanced mode, I now have a Sensor 2 and with 100ohm loading it blows the P75 into the weeds!
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

I was running my xx2 mk2 with a P75 mk3 for a while... which was pretty good in enhanced mode, I now have a Sensor 2 and with 100ohm loading it blows the P75 into the weeds!

Same here. It's a keeper.

It would be a shame to walk away from vinyl without trying some of the various remedies that have been offered up. Personally I use the 3D dampening disks under all of my gear including the TT and in my system they made a noticeable improvement. You are meant to use two stacked per foot.

I have heard improvements from a system when a inflated bicycle tube with a heavy base was placed under a TT as well.

https://lenwallisaudio.com/products/accessories/3d-2-damping-discs/

I hope you find an affordable easy remedy to your current issues, good luck.

Cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

5 hours ago, Peter-C said:

As I mentioned we all listen differently and all our systems are different.

I did extensive testing for a week,I actually wanted to like the Sensor 2, new toy etc but nah it was a little too clinical.

7 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Why would I downgrade ?

Sorry Trevor, Iam not too familiar with the Yamaha turntables.

Anyway you get my point eighth? Want you to try another turntable just to check the obverations.

Edited by Musician

11 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I think you missed what I'm saying….

A wall bracket is not an option. If that's the only solution then I'm going to be listing my TT and vinyl(s) in the classifieds very soon!

I bags you Iron Maiden LP's ?

Bus seriously grab sorbothane hemispheres (off @buddyev) and you will turn your frown upside down!

My turntable was literally on top of my JBL and it was causing exactly the issues you described until I whacked those feet in (im now using a wall shelf though) Do it!

image.png.11d9e8805c1f80e0ba3b67edcc7ab7b2.png

• Like 1

You could try cheap a*se springs off eBay too. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I also have found that the Les David record mat has made a big difference (still working out if it is all good). Happy to lend for a try out

IMG_1541134159.760070.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Point source

Happy to loan you a set of ISONOE's for a couple of weeks.

Basically neoprene rubbers on magnesium supports, worth a try anyway..

They should lower any mechanical noise coming back to the turntable.

Without a doubt these are the best isolation devices for the money. They work fantastic with Rega, Thorens and Linn Sondek turntables.  I use them with only 3 springs per footer and place them directly under the turntable without using a platform if possible.  

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4PCS-Spring-Anti-Vibration-Amplifier-Feet-Speaker-Isolation-Stand-CD-Player-Pads/263067684288?epid=12020197257&hash=item3d400e4dc0:g:LSgAAOSwdZdboKgk:rk:13:pf:0

Guest Point source
11 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

Without a doubt these are the best isolation devices for the money. They work fantastic with Rega, Thorens and Linn Sondek turntables.  I use them with only 3 springs per footer and place them directly under the turntable without using a platform if possible.  

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4PCS-Spring-Anti-Vibration-Amplifier-Feet-Speaker-Isolation-Stand-CD-Player-Pads/263067684288?epid=12020197257&hash=item3d400e4dc0:g:LSgAAOSwdZdboKgk:rk:13:pf:0

Wot ever he says - Wow cheap and effective,

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, Krispy Audio said:

I've found a huge difference in surface noise between different cartridges (different stylii shapes). Maybe it's time to try something else? Also had a customer with some feedback issues in his vinyl system which was remedied with some speaker resonance control and a little for his rack and TT. 

I agree.  Conical styli seem to be the best at reducing frictional and non-scratch surface noise, but at the expense of the very top end and some HF detail.  Elliptical, hyper elliptical, bi-radial, Shibata and MicroRidge (TM) profiles seem to be more ruthless and a lot less tolerant to surface imperfections but usually provide a better HF response and are more revealing.

Feedback induced distortion can sometimes be reduced by increasing the VTF but never over the limit of the cartridge if every other reasonable corrective option has been tried.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi
typo

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, Steffen said:

Whenever I get a bout of vinyl nostalgia I just run the dishwasher while listening to a CD. It's a good enough surrogate ?

Gold.  Hahahahaha.  Unfortunately my listening studio is in a completely different building to the kitchen.  Seriously though.... record reproduction does take a bit of setting up to get it right.  The thing that disappoints me the most is the variable quality of the pressings. Everything from virtually unplayable to absolutely brilliant.

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Like 1