Sign in to follow this  
Digital Man

Sonos Connect Amp

Hi All, Try as I might, I just can't find in reviews, how the Sonos Connect amp, well, connects, I know it has one, only one ?!, yes one rca at the back, but, how else can I connect my aries mini and another device, for example a tv or a movie streamer to it ? no, I don't have the Sonos, but, I might, depending on how it can be used. Thanks.

46 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

Hi, Thanks, so I assume that I can't use my Aries Mini wirelessly with the Sonos ?

Your goal is unclear.

Hi, To simplify, I wish to use the sonos with both my Aries mini and a seperate unit for movies, since the Aries mini is only for music

2 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

Hi, To simplify, I wish to use the sonos with both my Aries mini and a seperate unit for movies, since the Aries mini is only for music

The Sonos Connect AMP makes your Aries Mini redundant, unless wanting to play hi res files, but may not have the same SQ as the Aries Mini, but a much better user interface. The Connect is a streamer in it's own right, with the AMP version also having a 2ch amp built in to power speakers. To watch TV thru it you would connect RCA's to the analogue input of the Sonos from your TV's analog RCA output... if your TV has this.

You may be better off with a class D amp with built in DAC like a NAD https://www.apollohifi.com.au/nad-d3020-hybrid-digital-amplifier.html

This would allow you to keep the Aries and connect it via coax and TV via optical

Hmmm, I may have rushed my Aries Mini purchase a little, is the Sonos Apple friendly ? can work with iTunes ? does it have internal storage for music and movies ? if so, is it upgradable ? I would prefer a one box solution, but if I can't that's fine, I will be doing a mixture of my own rip's downloads and streaming, if all goes well, I will probably migrate fully to streaming for both music and visuals

17 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

Hmmm, I may have rushed my Aries Mini purchase a little, is the Sonos Apple friendly ? can work with iTunes ? does it have internal storage for music and movies ? if so, is it upgradable ? I would prefer a one box solution, but if I can't that's fine, I will be doing a mixture of my own rip's downloads and streaming, if all goes well, I will probably migrate fully to streaming for both music and visuals

Bluesound do a power node https://www.bluesound.com/products/powernode-2i/. The new version I linked to is not quite available yet but you may find it's predecessor on runout. Actually I think @Luc may be selling 1. It's virtually a better version of the Sonos Connect AMP (but more $$$) which will play hi res music and will allow a portable HDD or thumbdrive etc to allow music to be stored directly, rather than having to find your music files on a home network.

If you want Apple Music, you may be restricted to the Sonos, otherwise the Bluesound would be the better buy

Edited by blybo

2 minutes ago, Digital Man said:

Hi blybo, Hi -Rez doesn't interest me at all

Me either, hence why I've stayed with Sonos as widely regarded as the best user interface. The ability to connect your hdd directly to the Bluesound is a nice feature that Sonos doesn't have though. Sonos does allows you to search for eg. an album or artist, and have it search every music streaming service you subscribe to, as well as your own music library simultaneously, where other streamers make you search within a particular "source".

Both Sonos and Bluesound are Room End points, if you have Roon, but it looks like Sonos is the only 1 that offers Apple Music as a streaming service.

If you are not locked into Apple Music for streaming, I'd probably still go a Bluesound Powernode, for the ability of the optical in of your TV's signal and hard wiring of digital library which makes it a definite 1 box solution.

Neither will store or stream video though. If wanting this option down the line, your best bet is an Apple TV and separate amp. There are also rumours of a new Mac Mini release any day now so that could also be an option with separate amp.

Hi blybo, Well, streaming will be a small part of it, I will mainly keep ripping and downloading for now, I started to look at Apple TV today as well and also thinking if a Apple Mini maybe the way to go also, for movies, I will mostly just rent them from iTunes, maybe I will stick with the Aries Mini and keep investigating the Apple products, I do intend to use a Valve amp for the sound side of things, but if I could find a solid state amp that is more suitable to the Aries and / or Apple way, well, I am open to it let's say as I am curious if digital connections would be better via a solid state amp than say rca through a valve amp.

Also, is there a Apple device that does streaming of music and movies, allows internal and upgradable storage, can play back ripped and downloaded files ? with great fidelity for sound and visually as well, I will be using a LCD Epson projector for the visuals.

@blybo   Powernode2 was sold last weekend.Was a very clever bit of gear once I worked out how to do network shares on it.

Now have a new all in one streamer with a usb optical drive that's been ripping my cd collection for the last four days now and a couple more to go I guess. Internal DAC, fanless 3tb hdd, hdmi out,  streams multi channel hi res files, multi zone support for your Sonos or whatever your running(Heos ect) ect ect.

Metadata retrieval that is quite awesome. Has a lot of bases covered.

Hi All, Question, leaving out Hi Rez and multi channel audio from the equation and for just playing AIFF music files, what is the best connection type to use for the highest quality audio playback from the Aries Mini ? and is it a great difference from say the rca connections ? Thanks.