NAD 758v3 or something else?

3 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

How does this receiver perform in 2 channel compared to say entry level to mid range integrated amps?

Say Rotel, Cambridge Audio type of integrated amps. 70W-100W X 2

I would expect the dedicated 2 ch integrated to outperform the T58V3, which is after all a jack of many trades.

However, if you are using 1 box to do 2 ch and movies, the T58V3 with Dirac Live is worth considering.

Note that the above is testing the preamp stage only (am using active speakers).

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

I would expect the dedicated 2 ch integrated to outperform the T58V3, which is after all a jack of many trades.

However, if you are using 1 box to do 2 ch and movies, the T58V3 with Dirac Live is worth considering.

Note that the above is testing the preamp stage only (am using active speakers).

Thanks. Do you mean the bigger difference between the NAD avr and integrated amp would be pre amp section? Or the power section? Or both?:)

3 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks. Do you mean the bigger difference between the NAD avr and integrated amp would be pre amp section? Or the power section? Or both?:)

I am guessing here, but I think the difference is more in the power section. Dirac Live makes up for any short comings in the T58V3 preamp.

If you are looking at 2 CH only, suggest dedicated gear. If a mix of 2 CH & movies with 1 box, then T758V3.  

47 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I am guessing here, but I think the difference is more in the power section. Dirac Live makes up for any short comings in the T58V3 preamp.

If you are looking at 2 CH only, suggest dedicated gear. If a mix of 2 CH & movies with 1 box, then T758V3.  

Thanks. What if I purchase a 2 channel or 5 channel power amp and use that with the t758? 

21 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks. What if I purchase a 2 channel or 5 channel power amp and use that with the t758? 

What are you looking for?  If you want the best of both worlds, then combine an AVR with an integrated that has a HT bypass. Feed 2 CH to the  integrated, movies to the AVR. Both will share the mains. 

It depends on your budget, what you are hoping to achieve...

6 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

What are you looking for?  If you want the best of both worlds, then combine an AVR with an integrated that has a HT bypass. Feed 2 CH to the  integrated, movies to the AVR. Both will share the mains. 

It depends on your budget, what you are hoping to achieve...

I want to have both good 2 channel and HT but in one box if possible :)

2 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

I want to have both good 2 channel and HT but in one box if possible :)

Had a look at your previous posts and I understand that you have limited budget.  Does it extend to new NAD T58V3?  Previous versions do not have Dirac Live and BluOS.  Not sure if there any used T758V3 around?

Please let me know your budget and your existing setup and what you are looking for.  Like all things hifi and HT, there are many options and opinions. And often compromises... 

8 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Had a look at your previous posts and I understand that you have limited budget.  Does it extend to new NAD T58V3?  Previous versions do not have Dirac Live and BluOS.  Not sure if there any used T758V3 around?

Please let me know your budget and your existing setup and what you are looking for.  Like all things hifi and HT, there are many options and opinions. And often compromises... 

Budget around 2k. Don’t see any used version 3 around. Maybe too new.

36 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Budget around 2K will be tight because the T58V3 is going around for 2.2K but maybe you can get a demo model?  Have not seen any used ones.  You should purchase a full Dirac license (USD100) which will give better 2 CH performance.  Then as budget permits:

• Decent DAC or CD player if you are still into discs; make this decision after you had some time with unit
  • Calibrated usb microphone (included puck is so so) & microphone stand
  • additional power amps; this may not be necessary?
  • an integrated with HT bypass if that is the route  you want to take

Let your ears be the judge of how much you want to upgrade.

p/s what a pity that budget was not there a few months ago; my now sold MRX-710 plus a decent DAC feeding it into it would have fitted well under budget and given you a decent system.. 

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Budget around 2K will be tight because the T58V3 is going around for 2.2K but maybe you can get a demo model?  Have not seen any used ones.  You should purchase a full Dirac license (USD100) which will give better 2 CH performance.  Then as budget permits:

• Decent DAC or CD player if you are still into discs; make this decision after you had some time with unit
  • Calibrated usb microphone (included puck is so so) & microphone stand
  • additional power amps; this may not be necessary?
  • an integrated with HT bypass if that is the route  you want to take

Let your ears be the judge of how much you want to upgrade.

p/s what a pity that budget was not there a few months ago; my now sold MRX-710 plus a decent DAC feeding it into it would have fitted well under budget and given you a decent system.. 

Thanks for the info :) will keep a look out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

Ken ; take it into your NAD dealer and see about replacing its old MDC cards with an AM230 and VM130 [ US monikers] :) should save a few $..

https://support.nadelectronics.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006178893-Which-MDC-options-are-available-for-my-product-

note; 

DIRAC Room Calibration on the AM230 Audio MDC Module also requires the appropriate VM130 or VM300 Video MDC Module installed on your receiver

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update.   My T758v3 has arrived (Tassie takes time) ... and everything is as expected.   I'm quite happy with it.

• I've encountered none of the bugs mentioned online
  • Firmware needs updating in a few different places before smooth sailing
  • Performance is good.... unlike most AVRs the feature set feels basic but useful (as opposed to bells and whistles everywhere)
  • As expected the power rating of the amps is deceptively conservative.    The 60w per channel, is at rated distortion (which is something like 0.08% THD) ... more power is possible in a pinch.
  • Video options are zero - 100% pass-through  (Yay!)

I'll be using this box mostly as a "preamp" .... I'll drive my front and back speakers from the pre-outs ....  and only my side and height speakers will be driven from the AVR  (in a 7.1.4 configuration).   So the power will be ample.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Waiting to be approved in the Dirac 2.0 beta test.

Have not setup full Dirac Live correction yet, but had a quick tinker.  Works as advertised.

BluOS seems OK.... but probably not something I'll use lots.   Not tried MQA much yet.

Dirac 2.0 beta finished and I got a message last week that they have ported me to a new customer portal with the released 2.0 version.  Looking to try it next week. Beta was limited to the standard version i.e. 500 Hz.

BluOS is useful, especially when 2 channel system was not available due to upgrades.   Tried MQA but could not tell difference on the NAD.  Also tried MQA via Tidal on someone's system, DSD equivalent beats it for same recording.

24 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Dirac 2.0 beta finished and I got a message last week that they have ported me to a new customer portal with the released 2.0 version.  Looking to try it next week. Beta was limited to the standard version i.e. 500 Hz.

Oh.   Right, good to know.  Cheers.

I'll look out for the 2.0 release then.