Grumpy

NBN Grumpy is Grumpy

1 hour ago, LHC said:

I hope you meant you 'recycled' them :tongue:

Unfortunately not, after filling some of my spare time often over the last 20 17years doing free (mostly) desktop tech' work I just am not interested working on PC's and Lappys any more. Lots of people are great, but there are always some that have unrealistic expectations.

I used to keep spare parts around for trouble shooting purposes, so if i don't have them It's easier to avoid the work.

I still make exceptions if someone is a battler and can't afford a shop doing it.

I don't deserve that nod, it was just a guess.

Edited by Muon N'

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

I still make exceptions if someone is a battler and can't afford a shop doing it.

Good on you for this doing this. 👍

Just now, LHC said:

Good on you for this doing this. 👍

My first PC was a used HP Pentium 100 full of cat fur with a 15" screen that hurt my eyes,  I screwed up Win95 within 2 weeks and paid a tech' to fix it, then a week later again, so as I had knack all $$$ I went about teaching myself how to be a desktop tech' so I could fix things myself, so I relate to those that just don't have the means to get anything done, better if they spend that money on food, school books or the Elec' bill :thumb: Do they still use books? :lol:

33 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

My first PC was a used HP Pentium 100 full of cat fur with a 15" screen that hurt my eyes,  I screwed up Win95 within 2 weeks and paid a tech' to fix it, then a week later again, so as I had knack all $$$ I went about teaching myself how to be a desktop tech' so I could fix things myself, so I relate to those that just don't have the means to get anything done, better if they spend that money on food, school books or the Elec' bill :thumb: Do they still use books? :lol:

I get ya . l`m on a pension so having purchased my friends computer that was almost a gift ang add in the time he put in tracking down the problems and i`m feeling quite lucky and fotunate  - when l say friend l mean a neighbour who grew up with my kids and we use to look after him at times when his parents worked late. where do all the years go ?

4 hours ago, Grumpy said:

I will try this again.

Took me ages to post about the latest happenings awhile ago using the tv remote and I hit the wrong button and lost it.

UPDATE.

Mate came down yesterday and tried to get things going  - we, well he realized that my old computer was the problem and wouldn't connect -plus it only had 1 gigathingie and he had a spare that would be about 4 times better. He brought it down and plugged it in and it locked onto the interweb . Wow it is fast and I bought it off him. So, all is well with the desktop except I have to navigate and learn my way around the Windows 10 . Sooo different than my old XP.

Now I have to sort out the wifi which I use on the lounge room TV . It worked a treat with the old modem-router, but the new one, a Sagemcom fast (ha, ha) modem, won't latch on to my favourites (including SNA) etc, sometimes and if it does it takes a long time. I've read a little about wifi extenders or repeaters, but why should I put up with this if my old netgear router , also supplied by optus a few years ago worked fast and locked on quickly.

Again, thanks to all for trying to help this grumpy old dummy

There is a chance that you need to change Wi-Fi channels on the Modem/Router/Wi-Fi access point. Your Wi-Fi channel in use may be being used by a neighbour.

On the Modem/Router/Wi-Fi access point:

Click Advanced Settings.
Click Wireless.
Click the drop down list next to "Channel".
Click the required channel.
Click Apply/Save. You can now establish a connection to your Wi-Fi Hotspot using the new channel.

34 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

I get ya . l`m on a pension so having purchased my friends computer that was almost a gift ang add in the time he put in tracking down the problems and i`m feeling quite lucky and fotunate  - when l say friend l mean a neighbour who grew up with my kids and we use to look after him at times when his parents worked late. where do all the years go ?

Good kid, but I guess not a kid any more :)

Was only thinking about where the last 20 years went, feels like I've missed most of it! It does go by fast after middle age.

Is the house a wood or steel frame one?

If steel frame they are a challenge for wifi, but I have been reading about older Sagemcom modems slow and dropping out with TV/Phones. Did you try moving the modem around, more central in the house, higher up?

On an off chance, is the modem anywhere near the TV? if you have an Ethernet port on the TV for internet connection there should be 4 ports on the modem, so if you have a Ethernet cable that can reach maybe try connecting the TV that way.

UPDATE  (again)

Optus are sending out a modem that has a longer wifi signal and there was mention of 24ghz and dual channels ? :frantics:

1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

UPDATE  (again)

Optus are sending out a modem that has a longer wifi signal and there was mention of 24ghz and dual channels ? :frantics:

That would be 2.5gHz and 5gHz, those are the two channels where it's dual. The older one that is pretty full is the 2.4gHz and 5gHz is the newer less crowded one, the router can be configered to use just one of them or both and switch to whatever has the better signal at the time, i guess preferring the 5gHz :thumb:

My NBN was supposed to be connected on the 24th :( nada, no emails nothing. webchat with Telstra and apparently there is a technical problem that can only be fixed by calling the NBN Connection Management Team. I wonder how I was supposed to know that as my crystal ball has broken down.

2 hours ago, Muon N' said:

That would be 2.5gHz and 5gHz, those are the two channels where it's dual.

Tri-band routers are also available now although they are pretty pricey. 

4 minutes ago, LHC said:

Tri-band routers are also available now although they are pretty pricey. 

I didn't know that, so 2x 5gHz channels and the 2.5gHz. I would not have guessed a second 5gHz.

Hey thanks again everyone for your input.

We'll see how I go setting up the new modem when it arrives.

I told them that I was forced onto the nbn and the new modem should work as good as. if not better, than the old one - that's when they offered the new one which should arrive in 3 working days

Fingers crossed again

19 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Hey thanks again everyone for your input.

We'll see how I go setting up the new modem when it arrives.

I told them that I was forced onto the nbn and the new modem should work as good as. if not better, than the old one - that's when they offered the new one which should arrive in 3 working days

Fingers crossed again

You can only make use of the 5GHz frequency if your infrastructure (computer/tv/phones) etc are 802.11ac equipped (Dual Band) otherwise they will default to 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)

🤓 

35 minutes ago, aasza said:

You can only make use of the 5GHz frequency if your infrastructure (computer/tv/phones) etc are 802.11ac equipped (Dual Band) otherwise they will default to 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)

🤓

Good point. Also as I understand it 5GHz tends to attenuation faster than 2.4GHz, so will have a shorter effective range. Therefore if one's device is far from the router, then it would probably default to 2.4GHz as well. 

On 30/10/2018 at 5:21 PM, Grumpy said:

UPDATE  (again)

Well another modem arrived today  - it's the same one as they first sent.

Back onto Optus 'Live Chat' and 3 different people not understanding what the problem is.

Explained everything to 3 different people. In the end. after an hour they said ok, we will send out the 'better' modem at a cost because I'm not on the higher plan. I repeated, AGAIN, that I was forced onto the NBN and the supplied modem does not work as good as the old netgear modem and it should, so for all my trouble I think OPTUS should pay the small upgrade cost - superviser agrees Yay!!!!! at last . Well until the new one arrives I have my fingers crossed again

Good luck Gary.

Given Grumpy's troubles, I am dreading the time when I am forced into NBN.  Currently using Telstra cable, been largely trouble free for more than 2 years, with a speed increase and unlimited quota free upgrades in that time.

Just got a notice that someone will come to install NBN HFC in the next four months.  The confusing thing is the NBN website says that I am due for FTTN in Jan-Jun 2020 ??? 

On 02/11/2018 at 1:50 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Just got a notice that someone will come to install NBN HFC in the next four months.  The confusing thing is the NBN website says that I am due for FTTN in Jan-Jun 2020 ??? 

I just got an email saying I will get nbn in 2 weeks but the rollout website says I will get it Apr-Jun 2019?  What an absolute &^%$#@$^& joke they are.