Grumpy

NBN Grumpy is Grumpy

Switched over to OPTUS nbn on Thursday morn and lost my home phone, the internet and wifi  - took a trip to the nearest optus store and they showed me the right way to set it up.

Still nothing , so using the mobile phone l go to the place l dread - optus phone help. Nothing change overnight while waiting for things to set in as l was told to do on the phone.

FRIDAY - Still nothing so l ring optus again . Waited about half hour to talk to a real person who after many requests to repeat what he was saying he finally said it was not his section and would transfer me to a nbn tech  -  l got cut off.   Phoned again and after a lot of questions and answers l had to get a toothpick and do a reset on the modem . Try wifi on the TV and internet on my computer and still no good. Was asked to wait 24 hurs while they fix it.

Late Friday the home phone works as does the wifi, but still no internet working on the home computer.

Satuday and 24 hours is up and still no text to say its fixed which  they said they would send and still no internet for the home computer  -  not to the phone again no no please not the dreaded optus phone help again

my absolute commiserations grumpy...

the whole nbn thing is a complete and utter balls up ! take three parties (likely) more involved and what chance is there of things working ! 

and yeah optus tech help is absolutely hopeless. and sorry to say if you were wiht telstra from what I have heard from others its no better.

hang in there... you will at some stage get text or emails asking for feedback..... unleash and dont hold back.

and if get to speak to a human .... ask to be escalated.... they will escalate till get someone who can help.

I also found calling to speak to a human most times was impossible... better to use optus 

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat?sid=from:helpandsupportlanding:chattouslanding:fy2018

still a wait.... but atleast not stuck on the phone ! you can do this via your mobile/smartphone too... which is better ways to go as they will likely ask you to switch everything off and on again.

I trully have  no ideas how they expect folks to come to grips with this stuff. 

all they do is come put a plug on the wall and plug a modem into it and tell you right... off you go... were done and installed upto you know to work out for self....

@GrumpyI will never use Optus since my first dealings with them back in the 90's.

From memory, people were saying on here that Aussiebroadband was the way to go.

That's really sucky, hope you get sorted very soon.

Most complaints I have seen or heard of have mainly been with Telstra and Optus, odd with them being the biggest and with the most resources.

You’re filling me with dread Grumpy. I got a card from Optus this week telling me nbn is coming to my suburb in about 6 months and staying with Optus is easy.  Optus will guide me through the whole connection process. Oh dear😥

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

From memory, people were saying on here that Aussiebroadband was the way to go.

I went with the Aussie recommendations here and it has been pretty good. Their techs were accessible and generally helpful for setup and technical issues. Just don't expect them to be familiar with all the nuances and subtleties of individual set-up; in other words it helps to be resourceful and work some stuff ourselves. I also purchased a modem that Aussie sell as standard issue to avoid asking them to trouble-shoot an unfamiliar device. 

18 minutes ago, jt301 said:

You’re filling me with dread Grumpy. I got a card from Optus this week telling me nbn is coming to my suburb in about 6 months and staying with Optus is easy.  Optus will guide me through the whole connection process. Oh dear😥

I have a neighbour who is a network engineer who works from one of the majors. he has said he will be the last one to go on the nbn will not go on unless forced. says it all really...

Latest    -  just got off the phone again where they connected me to a Tech person. After swapping ethernet ports and diabeling and enabeling the area connection we are told everything is right on their end and that my home computer needs reconfiguring as it is still trying to connect to the old DSL ? The tech person couldn`t tell me how to do this.

AND I DON`T BLOODY KNOW EITHER.

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

I will never use Optus since my first dealings with them back in the 90's.

My experience with Optus was the same in the 90s.  At the time there were service teams that had the names of various colours.  I think I went through every possible colour and my file was as long as the bible.  Absolutely useless.   I would not touch Optus under any circumstance whatsoever. 

John

I have no affiliation or financial interest in Optus whatsoever.  I will say when the NBN came to the suburb where I work, we were without phones for a week! A business. Phones are vital. And that was Telstra. They diverted the incoming calls to employee's personal mobile phones!

I suspect the standard of service from most/all the telecommunications providers should be better.

1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

Latest    -  just got off the phone again where they connected me to a Tech person. After swapping ethernet ports and diabeling and enabeling the area connection we are told everything is right on their end and that my home computer needs reconfiguring as it is still trying to connect to the old DSL ? The tech person couldn`t tell me how to do this.

Are you using the same modem/router that you had prior to NBN? Or are you setting up a new modem/router for your NBN connection? If it is the former I can't imagine there would be much problems. If it is the latter, perhaps some tech savy members could offer some advice here. I assumed you have already tried basic things like rebooting your computer or using the network diagnostic tools in windows network settings. 

Not even nbn.

Adsl broadband for tiny town here has stopped working.

Won't be back until next week... .. sometime.

2 hours ago, Grumpy said:

34 minutes ago, LHC said:

Are you using the same modem/router that you had prior to NBN? Or are you setting up a new modem/router for your NBN connection? If it is the former I can't imagine there would be much problems. If it is the latter, perhaps some tech savy members could offer some advice here. I assumed you have already tried basic things like rebooting your computer or using the network diagnostic tools in windows network settings. 

When I went NBN ,I had to upgrade the router which wasn't that old.I went internode and it was plug and play..

Stump

2 hours ago, :) al said:

I have a neighbour who is a network engineer who works from one of the majors. he has said he will be the last one to go on the nbn will not go on unless forced. says it all really...

He sounds like Tony Abbott.

54 minutes ago, LHC said:

Why would the former work?

1 minute ago, Wimbo said:

Exactly.  The old router would be configured for ADSL and is more than likely not compatible with the NBN .

If a new router was purchased form the ISP delivering the service it should have been pre configured prior to delivery. I understand not every ISP does this however.

A router is different from a modem, often the two are combined.

An ADSL modem will not work for NBN as it's a different tech, a router will be pretty much the same in both situations.

17 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

I am only going on @Grumpy posts. He said his wi fi (to TV) and phone works, and Optus said they are done with their side of the set up. That means NBN is connected to his modem/router and is generally working. If the router needs configuration the tech would have walked him through it over the phone. There are also downloadable walk through instructions from the ISP's websites to configure the modem/router.

So that leaves the interface between router and his computer, which he claims need re-configuring. If he re-using a nbn-compatible modern/router the previous set-up on the computer should suffice I would think. That was my experience when I re-used my existing router and its settings; I bought a new NBN modem but set it up on bridge mode to the router. 

I've suggested earlier to try windows network diagnostic tools to force windows to find the problem and perhaps do a reconfiguration. It doesn't always works, but it is easy and worth a try. 

1 hour ago, Stump said:

When I went NBN ,I had to upgrade the router which wasn't that old.I went internode and it was plug and play..

Stump

It is nice when things just work by plugging them together, I can certainly appreciate that. 👍

I'm at a loss, NBN modems are usually plug n play.

With wifi it can be helpful sometimes to remove all configured connections and start again, but the wifi apparently is OK now.

Could try removing the NIC (network interface card) from devices and restart and let it install again using latest drivers.

My commiserations Grumpy.

If you are using Win 10, go to start, Settings, Network and Internet.

You should be able to get it going from there.

5 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Nothing change overnight while waiting for things to set in as l was told to do on the phone.

Oh dear.   This is very commonly the call centre robot equivalent of "please go away I don't want to help you"....  wait for this "technical magical thing" to happen, and call back "later".

he finally said it was not his section and would transfer me to a nbn tech  -  l got cut off.

This is sometimes the "more blunt" version.

not to the phone again no no please not the dreaded optus phone help again

So devices connected to your wifi get the internet fine .... just the desktop computer (connected with cable?) that can't get the internet?

If so, make sure you explain that clearly .... some of these people are dense enough to start troubleshooting the "internet service is not working" .... as opposed to some devices work, but one doesn't (or whatever).

Good luck  (I used to run one of these teams - albeit a much higher performing one than what most people are used to from the big carriers).

9 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

If so, make sure you explain that clearly .... some of these people are dense enough to start troubleshooting the "internet service is not working" .... as opposed to some devices work, but one doesn't (or whatever).

Am I wrong to presume that trouble shooting a customer's own devices is outside their scope of support? For example if I used a bring-my-own modem, I can't expect technical support from them?

@Grumpy

May I ask what is this 'computer' you are having difficulties with? Is it a Windows PC, or an Apple mac computer? Are you connecting this computer to your modem/router by a cable, or does your computer use wi-fi to connect DSL? Sorry for many questions, I am just trying to get a better understanding of the situation.