Ushers in Brisbane - Listening session

Guest RobbC

Gday All,

I am about to move on my Dunlavy SC-IVs due to poor WAF.  I have run photos of the larger Usher (CP-8571 and MDs) in front of her and these may be "acceptable" ?

There are plenty of rave reviews online but I would rather hear some if possible.

Wondering if there are any around CQ/Brisbane/SEQ /Nothern NSW that someone may be happy to hold a listening session. 

My room is large (ish) at 9x7m.  

I have a yammy cds2000 and Node 2 for a front end.  Current amp/pre is rotel michi and unsion research mystery pre although looking to upgrade to an integrated in the near future.  

I listen to mostly classical to but the boss is into more modern stuff.

Would also appreciate other members sharing their experience of integrated amps driving ushers.  

thanks

I have the Mini Dancer 2 DMD’s in a 5 x 6 Games Room. I bought them through SNA around 3 years ago. Initially ran them with Marantz Pearl Lite which wasn’t ideal. Spoke to Simply HiFi here in Perth as they stocked the Ushers previously. He recommended a high current amp. I traded the Marantz for a MF M6si, 225w into 8ohms double up into the 4 ohm Ushers. The improvement was jaw dropping. I agree that they can really dominate with bass, but careful placement has worked wonders. I listen to a range of styles and these are very versatile speakers imho. I have a Pearl Lite SACD which is a superb, a Bluesound Vault and a Pioneer SPL 110 for vinyl.( Currently stream via laptop into the Marantz as the NBN  has stuffed up my Ethernet through PowerPoint connection)

I hope you are able to hear a set up for yourself. If you are ever in the West I would be happy to demo. Good luck in your quest

Interesting to note when I picked them up (heavy suckers) the seller mentioned he had recently heard them on a system that was used exclusively for classical music.

8 hours ago, THOMO said:

You would need to hear them in your room.Usher seems to tune their speakers for a full and extended bass and in the wrong room that could be too much.

thanks for your thoughts Thomo. I agree a listening session in my room would be the best but probably difficult to arrange with a seller.  A very good point though as I was putting a bit of reliance on a listening session but you are right the room changes everything probably.

4 hours ago, pwestcott said:

I have the Mini Dancer 2 DMD’s in a 5 x 6 Games Room. I bought them through SNA around 3 years ago. Initially ran them with Marantz Pearl Lite which wasn’t ideal. Spoke to Simply HiFi here in Perth as they stocked the Ushers previously. He recommended a high current amp. I traded the Marantz for a MF M6si, 225w into 8ohms double up into the 4 ohm Ushers. The improvement was jaw dropping. I agree that they can really dominate with bass, but careful placement has worked wonders. I listen to a range of styles and these are very versatile speakers imho. I have a Pearl Lite SACD which is a superb, a Bluesound Vault and a Pioneer SPL 110 for vinyl.( Currently stream via laptop into the Marantz as the NBN  has stuffed up my Ethernet through PowerPoint connection)

I hope you are able to hear a set up for yourself. If you are ever in the West I would be happy to demo. Good luck in your quest

Interesting to note when I picked them up (heavy suckers) the seller mentioned he had recently heard them on a system that was used exclusively for classical music.

thanks mate. I am actually leaving towards the MD as they will "fit" the look of the room better.  The bigger guys I am sure would be awesome but will likely take much more convincing...I have read they like plenty of juice.  My michi might be up to start with but I am hoping to go to a nice integrated pass, classe or similar.  The one recently listed just didn't want to post so missed it again...

I have heard the 7" mid woofer used in a number of car audio systems.  The driver has heaps of mid bass punch and great clarity in a car environment, which is one of the reasons I was looking at these guys.

thank you for the offer. I dont find myself in Perth much these days (travel much less for work), but I head that way i will look you up.

I really don't think a two way will compare to a well designed three way like your Dunlavey.Indeed I think the Mini Dancer 2 ,as good as they are, still exhibit some of the compromises inherent in the breed .You can hear the woofers struggling to stay together to reach the tweeter crossover point whilst reproducing low bass at the same time.Asking one driver to cover 8 octaves from 20Hz up is asking a lot.

Guest Eggcup The Daft

For a large room and an acceptable profile, you should include a few alternatives that might make more sense, depending on what your room and wife will accept. This being a wide room, look at speakers with side firing woofers in a three way - Goldenear models are a possible as they have a relatively slim front profile.

You might also look at larger hybrid electrostatics like the bigger Martin Logan models, though they may be beyond your budget?

Don't give up the bottom octaves without a fight...