Impact of using Solar power on audio equipment and sound quality

9 hours ago, seatrope said:

@rmpfyf did you ever get measurement data for AC quality on Solaredge's HDwave inverters AC quality? I'm intrigued about your statement on another thread about how the AC sinewave is synthesized with Solaredge vs Enphase. Makes sense with enphase that all the small microinverters end up summing to a sine wave, but it may also follow that the sinewave with Enphase would be less smooth with fewer microinverters or smoother with more?

Don’t get hung up on the effectiveness,  efficiency and marketing sell on the technology used,   It’s useless when one says there efficiency is 97 and another is 99% efficient,   Why?   Because if the tech fails it blows that efficiency and effectiveness out the window because you now have to wait for someone to get there an get it going….with PV it’s all about reliability and consistent production. Also select the system for your needs not because of other features.  Solar Edge and Enphase can both monitor individual panels and show how efficient and effective they are,  however Enphase system that consists of micro inverters for each panel has the advantage of low DC that’s at a safety advantage.  

9 hours ago, seatrope said:

The other thing I'm intrigued by is if audio quality will be improved when on 100% battery self-consumption mode. I think it will again highly depend on the inverter quality as well as on the peak power draw or impedance for acoustic peaks. A member on another forum posted findings with a Tesla inverter/battery/panel system that indicates he actually gets improved audio quality on batteries. 

When panels aren’t producing the PV and inverters are off the grid.   So during the night, ambient noise is lower,  lower background noise is going to benefit your listening at all levels especially lower levels regardless if you have a battery or not.   From a technical point it shouldn’t make a difference,  electrical noises on the mains are usually filtered out by power supply filter caps and that’s proven.

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

From a technical point it shouldn’t make a difference,  electrical noises on the mains are usually filtered out by power supply filter caps and that’s proven.

So why is it, Peter, that so many people say their system sounds better at night - compared to the daytime?

(Is it they simply have sh!t equipment which doesn't do a good job of filtering out mains noise ... or simply that they're more mellow at night (after a few reds/whiskies) - so their world seems better?)

• Haha 1

I didn't do any measurements but I'd say I've probably stabilized the supplied voltage and eliminated some ripple so things sound cleaner, a bit more open. Less listener fatigue.  

More slam? Hardly.

20 minutes ago, tal said:

... but I'd say I've probably stabilized the supplied voltage and eliminated some ripple so things sound cleaner, a bit more open. Less listener fatigue.

Can you tell us how you:

• stabilized the supplied voltage
  • and eliminated some ripple?

Gawd Andy. I see you haven't changed, in my absence.  Sigh.

I didn't say I HAD. I said I PROBABLY had. Based purely on subjective listening,  as I didn't measure anything see?

HOW did I do this? You need to scroll up about 5 posts. Hint... the clue is in the thread title.

Cute response, tal!  :classic_laugh:

2 hours ago, tal said:

Gawd Andy. I see you haven't changed, in my absence.  Sigh.

Sorry, I hadn't noticed you'd been gone.  :o

2 hours ago, tal said:

I didn't say I HAD. I said I PROBABLY had. Based purely on subjective listening, as I didn't measure anything see?

No problem with you not measuring and just relying on listening, tal.  I like to do that too.  :thumb:

But if I said I "probably had" done something ... then that would be because of an action I had actually taken - so there was a 'before-the-action' state and an 'after-the-action' state.

2 hours ago, tal said:

HOW did I do this? You need to scroll up about 5 posts. Hint... the clue is in the thread title.

I did (scroll up) ... and I am none the wiser.  :)

Having both solar PV and a Tesla Powerwall with the ability to go off-grid or turn off the PV at any time, I've perceived no difference in sound qaulity regardless of whether my supply comes from the mains, the solar PV, or the battery.

Well designed audio equipment has PSUs which are immune to voltage variation and waveforms which deviate from pure sinewave.

Ever looked at your mains with an oscilloscope? The results might be surprising....

• Like 1