vivianbl

Impact of using Solar power on audio equipment and sound quality

In the process of making a decision on installing solar panels, but not a battery at this stage.

I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience of the Impact of using Solar power system on audio equipment and sound quality?

I am on the end of a SWER line and the transformer is on a pole near the house. Looking at 6.6 kw. Will need to get an inverter and probably a smart meter to limit the output to the grid?

Not sure I’ve noticed any change in my system quality with the installation of solar, but here’s a little side story that might be related. We are in suburban Melbourne, three phase power and installed a 5kW system (LG panels and Fronius hybrid inverter). As part of distribution of home internet, also had four Netcomm Ethernet over Power (EoP) adaptors to feed the network to more remote parts of the house. These plug into power sockets and talk to each other, presumably modulating the AC in some way, so they do rely on the quality of the AC. They had been working fine and I was getting reasonable bandwidth. After installing solar, they refused to work, presumably because the solar system was adding a little more noise to the AC and they could no longer pair with each other. I did manage to get something working though, by installing a more up to date pair of EoP adapters. So, could solar affect the quality of AC? Maybe. Would it affect sound quality? Not sure. (Of course, never mind the effect of the EoP adaptors themselves!). I’ve been happy enough to drop a few bucks on an Isotek power board and a couple of types of power leads.

Not sure I’ve noticed any change in my system quality with the installation of solar, but here’s a little side story that might be related. We are in suburban Melbourne, three phase power and installed a 5kW system (LG panels and Fronius hybrid inverter). As part of distribution of home internet, also had four Netcomm Ethernet over Power (EoP) adaptors to feed the network to more remote parts of the house. These plug into power sockets and talk to each other, presumably modulating the AC in some way, so they do rely on the quality of the AC. They had been working fine and I was getting reasonable bandwidth. After installing solar, they refused to work, presumably because the solar system was adding a little more noise to the AC and they could no longer pair with each other. I did manage to get something working though, by installing a more up to date pair of EoP adapters. So, could solar affect the quality of AC? Maybe. Would it affect sound quality? Not sure. (Of course, never mind the effect of the EoP adaptors themselves!). I’ve been happy enough to drop a few bucks on an Isotek power board and a couple of types of power leads.

Thanks for that feedback. Very interesting impact on the Ethernet adaptors!
We are on a farm on the outskirts of Melbourne - Yarra Valley- and as I mentioned on the end of a SVER line with only have a single phase connection. I have two dedicated circuits for the audio set up.

I would have thought the quality of the inverter would be the most important factor. I have been recommended a Fronius 5kw installed in the current meter box.

Thanks for that feedback. Very interesting impact on the Ethernet adaptors!
We are on a farm on the outskirts of Melbourne - Yarra Valley- and as I mentioned on the end of a SVER line with only have a single phase connection. I have two dedicated circuits for the audio set up.

I would have thought the quality of the inverter would be the most important factor. I have been recommended a Fronius 5kw installed in the current meter box.
Just had a 6kw System installed with LG panels and a Solaredge inverter - can't say while listening during the day, any negative affect on the sound.
However have decided to explore the power conditioner / power boards route just to be safe !

I'm interested in this too.  I saw picture of a Little Elekit low watt valve amp being driven by a 12 volt car battery and it got me thinking.  People spend a small fortune on dedicated power supplies and mains filters.  Naim crowd seem to favour a seperate power supply for every box in their systems and will swear blind it makes it all sound better. 

I saw this mains power filter for $2700 NZD  https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Products/Accessories/Powerboards-multiboard-surge-protection-power-filter/Furman-SPR-16E-Voltage-Regulator-Stable-SPR16Ei-__I.78331__C.27422__N.27756

It would have tidied up my cables nicely but I could by a huge pair of Sealed Lead Carbon batteries a pure sinewave converter and a solar panel for the same money.

Given that a DC supply to DC to AC converter would be constant - wouldn't it throw all the stuff about mains filtering out the window?

its not like you are "off grid" or something

no there's no difference I have seen whether had solar or not. been running solar panels for quite some years now :)

You'll get a voltage rise in general though at the end of a SWER your inverter might be running overtime to keep power quality happy to some ends. Too much rise around the area (to 255VAC) and your inverter might shut things completely.

Other aspects of quality depend on the inverter; SolarEdge's HD-Wave topology is particularly interesting with a very different way of generating a sine wave with potentially better quality (and potentially higher-frequency ripple). Worth a look. Would also add that a SolarEdge does export limiting very accurately. You won't need a smart meter, just an inverter capable of hooking up to a third party meter in your switchboard (both Fronius and SolarEdge supply their own designs here). 

Would consider that it's never really a sure thing ('what's power quality like from my home generation') until you're islanded from the grid with a battery of your own - for that alone you'd have a good look at a solid hybrid inverter. SolarEdge has these though not yet in HD-Wave.

You'll get a voltage rise in general though at the end of a SWER your inverter might be running overtime to keep power quality happy to some ends. Too much rise around the area (to 255VAC) and your inverter might shut things completely.

Other aspects of quality depend on the inverter; SolarEdge's HD-Wave topology is particularly interesting with a very different way of generating a sine wave with potentially better quality (and potentially higher-frequency ripple). Worth a look. Would also add that a SolarEdge does export limiting very accurately. You won't need a smart meter, just an inverter capable of hooking up to a third party meter in your switchboard (both Fronius and SolarEdge supply their own designs here). 

Would consider that it's never really a sure thing ('what's power quality like from my home generation') until you're islanded from the grid with a battery of your own - for that alone you'd have a good look at a solid hybrid inverter. SolarEdge has these though not yet in HD-Wave.

Thanks for the information about the inverters. I will make more enquires about sine wave generation in those two - Fronius and SolarEdge.

44 minutes ago, vivianbl said:

Thanks for the information about the inverters. I will make more enquires about sine wave generation in those two - Fronius and SolarEdge.

Theres probably a good YouTube clip on HD-Wave floating about. 

If you like, PM me and I can get some data from engineers at both (assuming they’re happy to share it).

I have solar and a battery with a hybrid system using a Selectronic SP Pro inverter. I've never heard any difference, irrespective which mode the system is running in