Using Spotify with my set up

hi gang, I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of how i can use Spotify through my current audiophile set-up - which currently only functions for vinyl.

Im sporting a Pathos Twin Tower integrated Valve/SS amp, with a Dyna-Vector phono. Speakers are Zu Soul Supreme's. I originally put the set-up together purely for vinyl but as time has gone on i have been finding myself using Spotify quite a lot to discover new tunes, which has been very enjoyable. Ive only been using a portal Bluetooth JBL speaker for spotify currently.

Question is, how can i use spotify in my Pathos Twin Tower? I'm currently limited with budget so would be looking at 2 different alternatives. One a "quick fix" budget solution,   but also along term solution which will work in nicely to get optimum value out of my current system. To provide some more info, I have no cd player and as i have about 1000 cd's packed away i would be interested in adding a quality cd player one day as well (in case the 2 can incorporate each other).

Appreciate your advice in this, thank you

Quick cheap fix would be a google chromecast audio via analogue out to your amp. Improve quality of that by adding a dac to budget by using the same device outputting digital.

longer term might be a bluesound node into a better dac.

then output any disc player via digital into the same dac to play your cds at decent quality 

• Like 1

This may give you both of your wishes, cd playback and Spotify in one neat unit.

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi/cd-n301_g/index.html

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi/cd-n301_g/features.html#product-tabs

Reasonably prices at its rrp of $699, although if you do your homework a retailer perhaps can do better

Neo

Edited by Neo
  • Like 1

Your cheapest quick fix would be a stereo 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable. Connect the RCAs in to a spare line level input on the Pathos, then plug in a phone, tablet or laptop with Spotify.

Not the most elegant or audiophile solution but it will get you going for a few bucks and sound better than the Bluetooth speaker.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input - i am really really....really prehistoric when it comes to the digital formats   - they actually scare me.

I was hoping to get a short term fix for about $50-100 if possible - as my fun-funds are totally exhausted (i've somehow managed to find another hobby that makes audiophile seem cheap  - pinball machines ?). I'm old school and tend to prefer things that i can just plug  in - although i have been really impressed with the easy of the JBL bluetooth speaker with connection. I have a sonos and that thing shits me to tears with drop outs and problems connecting after every, single update.

Will keep away from anything Chromecast - had 2 of those for the TV and both have broken within a few months and never connect

The Topping D10 DAC sounds pretty interesting & i just googled it and i like the look - almost identical in style and size to my Dyna-Vector phono amp. Is this thing a bluetooth device or would i have to plug it into a laptop/tablet to play  - or preferably, is it both?

Longterm budget - I was thinking about $800-1k. I did some research some time back (before the pinball's took over) and i recall coming to a conclusion that an Oppo BR player - 103,104 or 105 - can't exactly recall  - seeming to hit all the right spots and this having a DAC. Would this possibly do the trick for what i am after as well? Or for that budget is their now better options?

Edited by RaoulJuke

5 minutes ago, RaoulJuke said:

Is this thing a bluetooth device or would i have to plug it into a laptop/tablet to play  - or preferably, is it both?

USB out from your device to USB input. Then RCA out to your line input on amp.

1 minute ago, Wimbo said:

USB out from your device to USB input. Then RCA out to your line input on amp.

That sounds so simple that even i couldn't stuff it up. 

I've checked the illustrious Ebay and can see that there are people selling them, mainly for Kong Kong - are the obtainable locally? And are the ones from Honkers legit  - or possibly a knock-off

1 minute ago, RaoulJuke said:

That sounds so simple that even i couldn't stuff it up. 

I've checked the illustrious Ebay and can see that there are people selling them, mainly for Kong Kong - are the obtainable locally? And are the ones from Honkers legit  - or possibly a knock-off

I got mine off Massdrop.

I'm sure you could get one off the internet. But you want a CD player as well, so maybe the Oppo 105.

1 minute ago, Wimbo said:

I got mine off Massdrop.

I'm sure you could get one off the internet. But you want a CD player as well, so maybe the Oppo 105.

Yeah but the Oppo will put me back a $1k and i don't have that at the moment to spend on such joyous things. The Topping D10 DAC for $120 looks like something i could probably pick up now and get the ball rolling. It's size also looks perfect for me as well - won't require too much re-jigging of the cabinet/table space. Will have a look at Massdrop  - thanks for your advice mate

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Wimbo  -hope you are still around mate :)

I got a new HP Laptop today so i can install the D10 driver onto it and use it through my amp. When i installed it i was still only getting a quality reading of 44.1. i've managed to get this up to 192 by going into the sound settings via windows control panel - however i am still unable to get the 384(ish) i was getting when i had it plugged through my Mac desktop - without the need to install the topping d10 driver.

Do you have any advice on how i can get up to maximum quality ? What am i doing wrong?

1 hour ago, RaoulJuke said:

@Wimbo  -hope you are still around mate :)

I got a new HP Laptop today so i can install the D10 driver onto it and use it through my amp. When i installed it i was still only getting a quality reading of 44.1. i've managed to get this up to 192 by going into the sound settings via windows control panel - however i am still unable to get the 384(ish) i was getting when i had it plugged through my Mac desktop - without the need to install the topping d10 driver.

Do you have any advice on how i can get up to maximum quality ? What am i doing wrong?

Mate, I could not for the life of me, get the topping driver to download properly. Deleted it many times and reinstalled but it won't finish installation. Because I was just using it as background music, I left it at 44.1k?

Yamaha wxad-10 streamer works well for a street price of just $200. Rca outputs.

I just got one and its hooked up to the big rig and it seems to work well.

Control via your phone or laptop.

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/multi-room_audio/wxad-10/index.html

Edited by metal beat

1 minute ago, metal beat said:

Yamaha wxad-10 streamer works well for a street price of just $200. Rca outputs.

I just got one and its hooked up to the big rig and it seems to work well.

Control via your phone or laptop.

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/multi-room_audio/wxad-10/index.html

already invested in the D10 so i am going to be stuck with that for now - hopefully i can get it up to 384 .... half way there!

• Like 1