Triangle Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

I've had my Triangle EZ Australe speakers for over 2 years now and I believe my system has some 'magic' thanks to quality electronic components throughout and the transparent speakers.  I haven't heard a lovelier sound for the money (I paid 4K for the speakers).

?

Edited by tripitaka

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Absolutely love the look of the Triangle Esprit Comete 40th Anniversary speakers. Wondering if anyone has any experience with them or the standard Esprit Comete's and thoughts on if they would pair well with my Audiolab 8000Q, 8000P and 8000CD? These components are described as very neutral and possibly slightly on the clinical side for some listeners.

Would appreciate any input.

Edited by Susano

• 1 month later...
On 17/08/2021 at 10:13 PM, Susano said:

Hi,

Absolutely love the look of the Triangle Esprit Comete 40th Anniversary speakers. Wondering if anyone has any experience with them or the standard Esprit Comete's and thoughts on if they would pair well with my Audiolab 8000Q, 8000P and 8000CD? These components are described as very neutral and possibly slightly on the clinical side for some listeners.

Would appreciate any input.

Hi Susano, I dunno if you found the info you need?

As a Triangle owner and someone who has read a bit about these speakers, I would say Triangles in general are regarded as being very much on the analytical/detailed side of the spectrum and definitely not warm.  Triangle themselves describe their speakers as 'lively', which I think is also fair and I would add 'luminous' and 'engaging',  while noting that one man's 'engaging' is another man's 'fatiguing'. We are all different in the way we listen!

Anyway, if you have no plans for any type of EQ (digital or analogue) then I would maybe avoid teaming a triangle esprit with electronics that are regarded as 'clinical'.  

Good luck🙏🙏

You've also inspired me to post my latest thoughts on setting up Triangles, which I'll do shortly, even if nobody actually reads such posts😃

Edited by tripitaka
  • Like 1

Having had a pair of Australe EZ for 3.5 years, I couldn't be happier👍

Or maybe I could... which is why I am self-importing a pair of Magellan Quatuor (Quartet) 😃

I have learned so much about my speakers that I feel almost duty-bound to pass on my findings.  I first set up my Australes with no EQ at all - I've explained my preferred positioning earlier in this thread (basically well out from the back wall and with heaps of toe-in). I sacrificed some imagining with the sharp toe-in, but it was worth it for overall sound presentation. 

Fast-forward to Covid lockdown, when I discovered EQ (and I ain't never goin' back, baby).  I decided to rotate my speakers outwards (I've found that 13 degrees off the listening angle is the minimum needed for great imaging in my room).  Due to differences in on-axis/off-axis frequency response, I now had to make a cut* centred just below 4kHz to avoid excess vocal 'edge'.  Next, I ditched the high-pass filter I had used earlier for sub-integration and used EQ for this purpose as well.

*Note: I have only ever used solid state amplification and I accept that valves will respond totally differently to those normal impedance dips in drivers, so that might also be a consideration here.

Anyway, I found myself so happy with the result that I wanted more - more detail, more insight, more transparency... more Triangle.  As I'd also become quietly convinced of the merits of bipolar configuration, the cheapest Triangle upgrade for me was the Quatuor, which may (or may not) arrive by Xmas🤞

Trip

Edited by tripitaka
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, tripitaka said:

Hi Susano, I dunno if you found the info you need?

As a Triangle owner and someone who has read a bit about these speakers, I would say Triangles in general are regarded as being very much on the analytical/detailed side of the spectrum and definitely not warm.  Triangle themselves describe their speakers as 'lively', which I think is also fair and I would add 'luminous' and 'engaging',  while noting that one man's 'engaging' is another man's 'fatiguing'. We are all different in the way we listen!

Anyway, if you have no plans for any type of EQ (digital or analogue) then I would maybe avoid teaming a triangle esprit with electronics that are regarded as 'clinical'.  

Good luck🙏🙏

You've also inspired me to post my latest thoughts on setting up Triangles, which I'll do shortly, even if nobody actually reads such posts😃

Thank you for your insights.

I actually ended up grabbing a pair of barely used dynaudio contour 20. I also purchased a Lyngdorf tdai 1120 for streaming and room correction. And now the fun begins 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect this might be my final update on my 3  1/2 year journey with my Triangle Australes, having 'solved' the vocal edge issue (and now removed the treble EQ).

On a hunch, I put the grilles back on for the first time in years and, for good measure, taped some silk inside the grille frame edge, just in the region where the midrange cone sits, on the side towards the center of the room only.  Maybe I'll get to the bottom of how/why this has worked, though it doesn't matter much to me since I now have the best of both worlds, with great imaging from minimal toe-in yet no noticeable compromise in off-axis response 👍

Published testing (from stereo.de) for these beautiful speakers is below in case anyone is interested.

Bye for now

001607-0.jpg.f1abb6690398d12aaa5f67ba9b2b98a4.jpg

🙏

Edited by tripitaka

• 2 months later...

Took delivery of these beauties a couple of days ago, they are the latest model Quatuor (Quartet) which replaces the SE version (which in turn replaced the SW2).

I reckon these are the only pair in Australia, but happy to be proven wrong😃

Right out of the box these were keepers, quite apart from being achingly beautiful💜

Obviously I loved the Australe (even though bloody finicky with positioning) and all I was hoping for with these more expensive speakers was enhanced preservation of image and resolution during complex orchestral passages, which these have delivered.

These are reasonably similarly voiced to the Australe EZ (FR curve above).  I would say slightly fuller in the upper bass and slightly darker through the mids and lower treble, with slightly less forwardness. I reckon the HF is very similar (same bipolar tweeter design) which is good coz the 'luminous' treble is what I loved most in the Australe. I'll do sweeps in due course, but no hurry coz I can't turn off the music.

Edit Day 3: Been going through my old hard drive collection and don't reckon there's been a track for which these speakers haven't added something more than before. Picking out an extra instrument, more body to the vocals, finding a cymbal or tambourine or other effect revealed in places where previously it sounded like vocal glare, that sort of thing.  Subtle but consistent improvements, very happy👏

IMG_20220112_102602.jpg

Edited by tripitaka
  • Like 2