Sign in to follow this  
tripitaka

Triangle Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

I'm not sure how many triangle owners there are on the forum? Actually, I haven't found all that much info on the entire web regarding this lovely brand of speakers.

I am hoping that other owners might be out there and willing to share their experiences. 

I had the damndest time setting up my own pair of EZ Australe's and wish the info I have learned by trial and error had already been available on the internet.  I will check back at some stage and tell my own little story (bottom line - you need a big room for Australes but if you can make 'em work they are beautiful)

Anyway my experience is limited to the Australe's so I'll see if other people are out there who might want to contribute.

Cheer for starting this. Not an owner, but have been looking at this brand for a while. Not sure what to make of them. Positioned against some big recognised names in their rrp, with some good web reviews out there. You seem to often be able to find a "good deal" on these, so would like to know how they stack up for people with some experience with them.

On 25/10/2018 at 8:12 AM, Andre28 said:

Cheer for starting this. Not an owner, but have been looking at this brand for a while. Not sure what to make of them. Positioned against some big recognised names in their rrp, with some good web reviews out there. You seem to often be able to find a "good deal" on these, so would like to know how they stack up for people with some experience with them.

Thanks Andre, though it's starting to look like I might end up being the only 'owner' contributing !!

In my case, I first bought Triangle EZ Australe for their transparent, detailed midrange. When I first set these speakers up at home, the sound seemed lean and the treble exaggerated.  BTW these speakers have two horn-loaded tweeters (one at the rear). Anyway, what have I learnt?

Firstly, my advice is to bring the speakers well forward and also to put as much space between 'em as the room will allow, with decent toe-in to sharpen imaging while those rear tweeters scatter their brilliance around.  I have over 3 meters clear space between them and I also have them 1.1 m off the rear wall.

Secondly, these speakers enable their own unobtrusive substitute for room treatment! I placed (with sticky velcro) a crescent cut from a carpet tile to obscure just the outer edge of the mouths of the rear-facing horns in the direction of the room's centre (to sharpen imaging) and also in the downwards direction (which raised the soundstage slightly). 

Thirdly, to my ears, a big improvement came with bi-amping, with a bit of attenuation for the mid/tweeter amp, suggesting to me that the factory crossover is set to provide a leaner bass than my ears wanted to hear. The greater the speaker toe-in, the more attenuation can be used in order to maintain balance (presumably due to directivity of the horn and mid cones).

Fourthly, [edit: these speakers have lovely clear bass but the very low frequencies sound a bit boomy when playing at higher volumes, so I now use to great effect a 20hz high pass filter on the bass amp and run two integrated sub woofers instead]

Fifthly, I raised the front of each speaker very slightly to give a slight backwards lean, which reduces any forwardness to the presentation.

Quite truly, these speakers now sound gorgeous and seem to suit just about all musical styles.

Trip

Edited by tripitaka
Update on tweaks performed

Thread needs pics. 

Quick snap of my Triangle Titus Ez, currently up out of reach of kids so not ideal placement but better than a knock to the floor.

BFB84044-835A-4844-974B-59839730EBFB.jpeg

41023423-883A-4572-86D0-F9574C3B5B4E.jpeg

On 30/10/2018 at 1:52 PM, Andrews_melb said:

AD81CEE6-A345-44BF-882D-3D321F8763A4.jpeg

That is a really gorgeous looking setup, what is the amp if you dont mind?  Also is that a subby underneath?

I will post a pic too, but my speakers are so bloody far apart I am struggling to get a decent shot!

@tripitaka

i made the amp, based on a pcb from Tubelab. Very well worth checking out George’s site. He just sends you a pcb and you deal with the rest. Edcor trannies and gold lion tubes in a jaycar box.

Under the amp is a bluesound node gen 1

1 hour ago, Andrews_melb said:

@tripitaka

i made the amp, based on a pcb from Tubelab. Very well worth checking out George’s site. He just sends you a pcb and you deal with the rest. Edcor trannies and gold lion tubes in a jaycar box.

Under the amp is a bluesound node gen 1

Awesome job with the amp.

My modest home set up

58D7145C-A61B-4D80-8876-48680D176EA3.jpeg

Edited by tripitaka

Been around a long time the old Triangle Speakers. No idea on the new models but back in the early nineties they were known for their efficiency and easy impedance. Back then they were often paired with the early AudioNote UK offerings such as the Oto. Not enough power to drive them fully in my opinion, only 8 Watts or so I think, but a smooth midrange focused sound.

Selby (Melb) has all triangle gear at 30% off for their boxing day sale.

Edit -at least they did when I looked on xmas day, it changed the next day.

Edited by tripitaka

I run a pair of Triangle

2x10" subwoofers 

Very tight bass 

20190101_210016.jpg

post deleted

Edited by tripitaka

Hello SNAers.

I'm a current PMC Twenty.23 owner. Have been a PMC fan for a few years now, Also owning the TB2i bookshelf speakers. 

I'm pondering a change of speakers for a different sound/flavour. I'm looking at the Triangle range of speakers, particularly their two bookshelves - Theta and Duetto. Reason I'm drawn to triangle is their ability to sound great at low volume and are a lively and dynamic listen, so I've read.

Has anybody had experience with these Triangle speakers? They would be paired with a Luxman L550AX Class A amp in a small/medium room.

Edited by audioaddict78

Don't offload your pmc's. I once did but managed to get them back :) I haven't heard the Triangle's personally so I couldn't comment. But, if you are after a speaker you have described I would audition the Klipsch RP-600M's.

I have disliked Klipsch up until this model. The sound has changed and no more 'horn shout'. Just clear, clean lively sound. Listen to the Triangle's too of course but put the Klipsch's on the list ;)

12 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I have disliked Klipsch up until this model. The sound has changed and no more 'horn shout'. Just clear, clean lively sound. Listen to the Triangle's too of course but put the Klipsch's on the list ;)

I second B's recommendation, I have the 160m's from Klipsch the predecessors of the 600m's, there is not much difference between the two, perhaps the upper bass is a little richer on the 600's. I listen predominately at low to moderate levels and they are really nice, I have become a bit of a convert to the horn.

There will be those that will tell you the Klipsch's are "party speakers", they haven't heard the 160's or 600's.

1 hour ago, allthumbs said:

There will be those that will tell you the Klipsch's are "party speakers", they haven't heard the 160's or 600's.

Yep not any more. My next speakers will be either the Klipsch R-51M's or the RP600M's. 

I think going from twenty.23 to bookshelves is not a good idea. I would try twenty5.23 or twenty5.24.  

I've heard most of the Triangle range and they all do everything they should and nicely. Simply down to your preference and if you like the sound/price.

They can be had VERY cheaply right now as the AU distributor has dropped the brand and stock is being cleared. 

Good opportunity to buy and Selby has a lot of ex-demo stock: https://www.selby.com.au/brands/triangle.html

Thanks all for the recommendations. Will give the triangles a listen at my local dealer. But still keen on impressions of the 2 Triangle speakers I've mentioned. 

Edited by audioaddict78

I had the Triangle Magellan Cellos for several years.  No complaints really.  They were ok at lower volumes.  They play very loud without distortion.  My dealer told me they would love power and that turned out to be correct.  I ran them with an ATC P1 and later with a Pass.  In terms of value for money I would say they were average at best.  Nice midrange, great with singer songwriter material.  Bass was ok but not great.  The sweetspot was quite large and I think that was due to the horn loaded tweeter. 

@audioaddict78 ive got the Espirit titus, so a few rungs down the ladder in the Triangle bookshelf range. 

Love them, yet i dont know anything specific to say about them. They are about to get re-installed in a week now that renovations are done. 

Would love to move up the Triangle chain a bit!

On 07/07/2019 at 10:32 AM, audioaddict78 said:

Hello SNAers.

I'm a current PMC Twenty.23 owner. Have been a PMC fan for a few years now, Also owning the TB2i bookshelf speakers. 

I'm pondering a change of speakers for a different sound/flavour. I'm looking at the Triangle range of speakers, particularly their two bookshelves - Theta and Duetto. Reason I'm drawn to triangle is their ability to sound great at low volume and are a lively and dynamic listen, so I've read.

Has anybody had experience with these Triangle speakers? They would be paired with a Luxman L550AX Class A amp in a small/medium room.

Hi

i notice that you have your PMCs on the market, so must have found what you wanted, may we inquire as to what you settled upon?

Thanks Trip

On 10/07/2019 at 10:18 PM, tripitaka said:

Hi

i notice that you have your PMCs on the market, so must have found what you wanted, may we inquire as to what you settled upon?

Thanks Trip

I'm a creature of habit, owning 2 PMC models, I've stuck with PMC.

I had a listen to a couple of triangle speakers and one that stood out was the Comete EZ. I was impressed.  Quite musical and had a big sound that defies their small size.  They were lively and fun to listen to. They also seem to play louder and easier to drive than the other speakers in the demo room and competed well with the more expensive speakers/brands. I'm still very curious about the top of the line bookshelf Duetto--I've been reading some rave reviews.  When/if I stray from PMC then triangles will be on my shortlist.

Edited by audioaddict78