rodders3

What have you bought because of a HIFI Show and did it live up to the hype!

This month I had the pleasure to got to my 1st and 2nd hifi shows - in consecutive weeks no less.

At the Pullman I was really taken by the Isoacoustic Gaia's. Purchased some Gaia II's from Melb Hifi for $730. 

Soon worked out that the threads did not fit my Monitor audio GS60's and found Convoy Int in Sydney as distributor. So I contacted them. And again, and again - probably all up 6 phone calls.  Ended up with mailing three sets of threads before i got the right ones at long last (M10 1.25 thread). Once my fault, once their fault. to their credit, mail was received next day between Sydney/Melb.

Have just fitted them which is really easy with the right thread! The cost of 8 threads is insane though, another $153.

Wow. 

I am often a suspicious bloke with claims made even if I hear them as think it could be a number of things to make sound change.

My speakers just sound awesome. So much more open and "real". I cannot recommend them enough.

Without the HIFI show I would be none the wiser and be missing out.

Anyone else purchase based on the shows?

20181024_131316_resized.thumb.jpg.06ccc68c67952021e229c6a5ff59f387.jpg20181024_131333_resized.thumb.jpg.f463b922e2e47069b5c6db129ab83c5e.jpg20181024_131323_resized.thumb.jpg.2f76c3814165e59d43f271ad25744fac.jpg20181024_131304_resized.thumb.jpg.b49c996a0b30ddd54659906d41ef0cbf.jpg

@rodders3 A couple of items I have purchased as follows:

2012 Sydney show : bought a Consonance amplifier straight after the show and when funds permitted I bought a pair of Osborn Epitome reference towers, these were after listening to Greg Osborn room at the show.

2018: I also purchased the Gaia II after listening to the demo at the show in Melbourne. Like yourself I have been very impressed and surprised at the improvement. Luckily mine were the standard M6 thread so I didn't have any issues fitting them.

You must be an extraordinary bloke @Whites with great taste! I too was really tempted by the Osborn's at this years show. Wonderful bang for the buck.

I bought a pair of Greg’s Osborn Eos loudspeakers when they were first released after listening to them at a Melbourne hifi show several years ago. I’ve been very happy with them and I don’t think I’ll ever sell them. 

I must admit I haven’t been to a hifi show for a few years now. The temptation to buy more gear would be too much for me!!!

Way back in the day when the CD Player was the latest greatest thing - I bought a Phillips CD Player at the Brisbane Hi-Fi Show - the one that Rob Woodland used to organise.

I've been looking at those isolation feet too - sexy as all get out ain't they?

Bit out of my league right now though..

Three things bought: 

• some Beyer Dynamic IEMs that are for my daily commute on the 'ol iPod. Still to arrive. Looking forward to a significant upgrade to my old earbuds. That was 'cause I saw Beyer at this year's SNA Show.
  • Cambridge 640P phono stage, because I realised I could be getting so much more out of my current beloved spinner.
  • Cabling/ interconnects because this year's show prompted me to think about my system in all aspects, starting at the roots and branches.

Oh: and a G2 Mini Portable Bluetooth Speaker (not yet purchased) for use while we are in Bali over Xmas.
I'd never thought of one before, saw it, and that put the spark in my mind.

Which is really the whole point of these shows for casual audio fans like myself?

@candyflip I had a 640P and your turntable deserves much better! 

1 minute ago, Citroen said:

@candyflip I had a 640P and your turntable deserves much better! 

Well it's got NOTHING right now @Citroen, so I'm happy with this as a start.

What happened to your usual phono?

Yes, anything is better than nothing! ;)

The 640p is  a very capable performer. I only sold mine to upgrade to a  Gram Slee Reflex Era Gold 

@rodders3

i brought some of the IsoAcoustics stands for my small ht speakers in the living room, fantastic products. I am thinking of the Gaia III’s for my main two channel floorstanders like you have done. I have been holding off a bit due the cost, but endorsement like yours helps make the decision !

0ACF154F-16A2-4370-8100-E688E0DA5E50.jpeg

Edited by Ray H