"Revirginiser"!

On 22/10/2018 at 7:25 AM, Marc said:

I've used this in its 2nd generation, but the newer and further developed VRC seems to be getting great reviews and has less 'residue' which was a problem with the Revirginiser.

https://www.vinylrecordcleaningsystem.com/

FYI - I have no affiliation with either but have spoken with Stephen Price (VRC) at length and he makes a compelling argument why his system is further refined and improves on other systems.

I think ill have to try this I liked the first version but did find it could have some improvements 

On 26/10/2018 at 3:51 PM, Guzzista said:

My next bottle will be the VCR though, I like the idea of using a third of the amount for the same effect with less residue.

Yeah, it's the 'no residue' bit I'm having a problem with for the VRC.

I like that it's much less viscous than glue, and spreads easily.

I like that because it goes on thin, it dries much quicker too.

Unfortunately those qualities also lead to it 'stringing' when pulled up, leaving lots of fine cotton-like threads behind. I used 2 x 50ml sample bottles all the way through on a number of records, and have never had a full mask come up in one simple piece. Every time it's left stringy bits behind, that I've had to wash off later in the Disco-Antistat.

I've also had to use much more than 5-7ml (a cap full) of the solution each time. I ended up using 2 caps full, or even slightly more, to get a decent film coverage and it still wouldn't come up in one piece. Unlike the glue, which is almost always a once piece pull job.

I also found the 50ml bottles really messy - every time you use the cap to pour out the solution, and place it back on the little bottle, you of course get run off that comes down the bottle and gets on your fingers because of the internally ribbed cap. I eventually poured the contents of the little bottles into a cleaned out glue bottle, with the handy pointed tip, and used that instead. Much easier.

Be interested to hear your experience with it though?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, candyflip said:

Yeah, it's the 'no residue' bit I'm having a problem with for the VRC.

I like that it's much less viscous than glue, and spreads easily.

I like that because it goes on thin, it dries much quicker too.

Unfortunately those qualities also lead to it 'stringing' when pulled up, leaving lots of fine cotton-like threads behind. I used 2 x 50ml sample bottles all the way through on a number of records, and have never had a full mask come up in one simple piece. Every time it's left stringy bits behind, that I've had to wash off later in the Disco-Antistat.

I've also had to use much more than 5-7ml (a cap full) of the solution each time. I ended up using 2 caps full, or even slightly more, to get a decent film coverage and it still wouldn't come up in one piece. Unlike the glue, which is almost always a once piece pull job.

I also found the 50ml bottles really messy - every time you use the cap to pour out the solution, and place it back on the little bottle, you of course get run off that comes down the bottle and gets on your fingers because of the internally ribbed cap. I eventually poured the contents of the little bottles into a cleaned out glue bottle, with the handy pointed tip, and used that instead. Much easier.

Be interested to hear your experience with it though?  

VRC Easy Spread n' Peel is best applied using the Vinyl Record Cleaning System kit, the equipment specifically designed for this purpose and in particular to support dual side cleaning in one session. A video is available at the product website (vinylrecordcleaningsystem.com) which shows the kit, application and peeling.

The 50ml bottle to which you refer have been selectively distributed as a basic introduction to the product, not as a commercial offering. The kit provides a measuring cup and application brush which when used with the equipment ensures an even coverage (and one piece peeling). The stringing effect you describe typically achieved by thin application.

All that said, the reason a record is cleaned with ESP is because it sounds better. See the website for A/B comparisons and spectral analysis.

The Vinyl Record Cleaning Company

Designer and manufacturer of VRC Easy Spread n' Peel.

OK

Picked up my bottle of VRC from my PO Box today, and I must say there after sales customer support is second to none! Cleaning the LP manually with 5ml of goo is possible but it does leave "spider web" size threads that are a bit of a pain to remove with clear sellotape.

The key (if not using the purpose made spinning platter in the full kit) is using more than 5ml say 7.5-10ml and the dry goo comes off more easily.

I treated a number of albums that had previously been treated with the other stuff and without dought sound quality improved and clicks were significantly reduced again.

It goes with logic that the less viscous VRC goo would penetrate into the groves more than thicker treatments I suppose!

I'm sold on the VCR offering and recommend it to all vinyl lovers!

Edited by Guzzista
spelling

On 22/10/2018 at 10:27 AM, candyflip said:

You can try glue too... 

Here

and some other ideas here..

I was intrigued after reading this, and had to give it a shot this week.  It works !  And cheap as.  I've just got to learn to put less glue on the surface so that it dries more quickly ....  Thanks for the tip !

• Like 1

On 04/11/2018 at 6:55 PM, lumholtzii said:

I was intrigued after reading this, and had to give it a shot this week.  It works !  And cheap as.  I've just got to learn to put less glue on the surface so that it dries more quickly ....  Thanks for the tip !

It's taken quite a while to figure out how much glue to use, and where to work from i.e. the outer to inner, or vice versa.  I'm still struggling when coating the outer edge without going too far so that it catches when you pull it off.   Also too much glue and it dries too slowly as others have said.  Too thin it seems more likely to string / fall apart when lifting it off. 

Now here's another one - where do you start pulling it up ?   I started first from the lead out track, but recently found it easier to minimising the stringing by persisting from the outside edge

It's slow progress, and worth it for some pressings, and for others I've realised they were too far gone & probably not worth the effort.  Onto my second batch of  a dozen or so at a time (over a long w/e here in Melbs).   .... Not too sure what the WAF is tracking at the moment with the current drying methods (upside down bowls), but I think she gets the idea of a vinyl 'facial'.

IMG_3177.JPG.164d5bc1094bf203a58ecdf3f3c81727.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lumholtzii said:

It's taken quite a while to figure out how much glue to use, and where to work from i.e. the outer to inner, or vice versa.  I'm still struggling when coating the outer edge without going too far so that it catches when you pull it off.   Also too much glue and it dries too slowly as others have said.  Too thin it seems more likely to string / fall apart when lifting it off. 

Now here's another one - where do you start pulling it up ?   I started first from the lead out track, but recently found it easier to minimising the stringing by persisting from the outside edge

It's slow progress, and worth it for some pressings, and for others I've realised they were too far gone & probably not worth the effort.  Onto my second batch of  a dozen or so at a time (over a long w/e here in Melbs).   .... Not too sure what the WAF is tracking at the moment with the current drying methods (upside down bowls), but I think she gets the idea of a vinyl 'facial'.

try this thread mate : 

and have a look at the video I did last month for it..... it'll show you how much to use, how to dry it, and how to pull it up in once piece.  ?

After applying the glue, put a few paper tabs on top at the outer edge (about 3cmx1cm should do).  Space them round the disc and then when the glue has dried you can lift the outer edge by using the tab.  I use about 3 per disc)

• Like 1

Just now, candyflip said:

try this thread mate : 

and have a look at the video I did last month for it..... it'll show you how much to use, how to dry it, and how to pull it up in once piece.  ?

Brilliant Jon .... just playing catch up !

1 minute ago, Graceman said:

After applying the glue, put a few paper tabs on top at the outer edge (about 3cmx1cm should do).  Space them round the disc and then when the glue has dried you can lift the outer edge by using the tab.  I use about 3 per disc)

nice idea - thanks

• Like 1

OK

Well I am amazed!!! how many SNA members would willfully undermine an Australian business who are obviously audiophiles and honestly make a product that is extremely affordable and effective in what they claim to achieve (and they do in my experience) so that many audio enthusiasts can better enjoy recorded music...........

This is not healthy in my honest opinion, thank jeebus they are not sponsors, nor I guess would they intend....!

Edited by Guzzista

34 minutes ago, Guzzista said:

OK

Well I am amazed!!! how many SNA members would willfully undermine an Australian business who are obviously audiophiles and honestly make a product that is extremely affordable and effective in what they claim to achieve (and they do in my experience) so that many audio enthusiasts can better enjoy recorded music...........

This is not healthy in my honest opinion, thank jeebus they are not sponsors, nor I guess would they intend....!

Actually I think it is quite expensive compared to my Spinclean fluid.  And despite the videos, I still think it is very labour intensive.   But we are all allowed our opinions, aren't we?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok

so I decided to go with VRC the “ whole hog”, I must say that having the full kit on hand has made a huge difference to the effectiveness of the goo. It is so much easier to apply evenly which makes the removal process very easy. 

I wish i had shares in this product !!

E67C04B4-11C3-4923-80B1-4484ACF6EECD.jpeg