WITHDRAWN OR RELISTED: FS: Luxman 5C50 & 5M21 Pre/Power Amps [MEL] PRICE DROP

Item: Luxman 5C50 and 5M21 (Pre/power amp combo)
Price: $2000 $1800 negotiable
Item Condition: Excellent - 9/10
Reason for selling: Looking to try something else.
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

These pre and power amps were a part of Luxman's Laboratory Reference Series (LRS) released in 1977.

These amps should speak for themselves - they are truly a part of Luxman's high end offerings during their peak pre-Alpine era. There's plenty of good reading material in the links at the bottom of the listing. Hilberink (a true Luxman fanatic) describes them as "exceptional, unprecedented and powerful sound, one of the best amplifiers ever made".

I bought these amps from a fellow SNA member a few months ago. He had fully recapped these amps with Elna Simic II and Nichicon caps. He also cleaned all the switches and controls with deoxit. A couple weeks into using them I had some slight issues with a popping sound in one channel, so I took them to Garry Cawsey in Brunswick who checked them over and gave them a clean bill of health. He fixed up some soldering joints and cleaned some connections. It is possible that the popping sound had been coming from my speakers and not my amplifier, but I took the amps for a check over anyway for peace of mind. They have been performing excellently since then.

These amps have the later, open model DML IC's which can be replaced if they go bad. Very unlikely, but it's good to know that there's nothing in these amps that can be replaced.

Cosmetic condition is marked as 9/10. There is one tiny pinhole mark next to the power button on the power amp, and some slight scratching on the top of the power amp (which you can't see, if you stack pre on top of power as they were designed to go in a rack). A couple letters have partially rubbed off, for example the "C" in "VOLUME CONTROL", but this is very common on these Luxmans. This is as good as you'll get it!

You won't find a set of these, in this condition, for this price anywhere else. Open to reasonable offers.

Local pick up only, these are heavy and I don't have the time at the moment to pack them for shipping. Will consider shipping them if packing and courier can be organised by the buyer. Feel free to message me with any questions :) 

http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-Laboratory_Reference_Series.html

https://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/luxman78.htm

https://hilberink.nl/codehans/luxman77.htm

http://1001hifi.blogspot.com/2018/01/luxman-laboratory-reference-series-no.html

Note: the final three photos are from the listing of the previous owner.

As far as I know these were pretty much a Japanese market item only, so these amps are 100V. I can provide a high quality 500W Tortech step down converter with the sale, if required. 

Pictures:

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

IMG20180701161659.jpg.551bada863bd81e6a13a8331b1e7cae9.jpg

IMG20180701161715.jpg.d8bb45e8774521066db70cf39a933937.jpg

IMG20180701161724.jpg.c75f6e1c667e6594e8b5856acd7b0daa.jpg

Edited by benjamin95
Price drop
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone interested in this listing - unfortunately due to a change in living circumstances I don't have the space to set up my speakers, so I've decided to use a headphone setup until I move again. Unfortunately, that means I'm currently unable to demo these speakers to potential buyers and, sadly, these amps aren't being used at all.

If anyone in Melbourne is interested in these, I will be open to doing in house demos as long as I don't have to drive too far! I'm also happy to consider lower offers, as I would prefer these go to a good home than sit around not being used.

Cheers!