Soundwise

2018 Melbourne. Chester Como Show

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I was chatting to the owner of a hifi store that sells this (not the same chap as at the show)… he says it sounds pretty good but it's a really pain to change records (or even change sides). You have to wait for it to stop spinning, the platter supports need to come up and only then can you take the record off. Then it has to start up again

The whole process takes a couple of minutes which would be a show-stopper for me

What I also find interesting is that the arm appears to be fixed to the plinth … whilst the stylus rests on the floating platter.  This means that the arm is not locked to the structure which supports the platter - which is not good for the sound.  :(

(As Linn demonstrated when they introduced the 'Keel' subchassis for the LP12 - compared to the sound the LP12 delivered when it had a pressed steel subchassis with a composite armboard screwed to it.)

Andy

On 26/10/2018 at 12:35 PM, andyr said:

What I also find interesting is that the arm appears to be fixed to the plinth … whilst the stylus rests on the floating platter.  This means that the arm is not locked to the structure which supports the platter - which is not good for the sound.  :(

(As Linn demonstrated when they introduced the 'Keel' subchassis for the LP12 - compared to the sound the LP12 delivered when it had a pressed steel subchassis with a composite armboard screwed to it.)

Andy

speaking of mag lev, I'd settle for one of these!

http://www.jcverdier.com/ADSL/platineV.html

regards Ian

5 hours ago, Ian McP said:

speaking of mag lev, I'd settle for one of these!

http://www.jcverdier.com/ADSL/platineV.html

regards Ian

Hah - it's hard to understand what he's on about  ... but I'm ecstatically happy with my mag-lev 'Tranquility' bearing ring on my 'SkeletaLinn'.  :)  It lifts the inner platter's spindle slightly - so that the force of the spindle-end on the thrust bearing at the bottom of the Cirkus bearing is reduced to about 10% of what it is, without the Tranqu.  (So the SNR is vastly increased.)

Not 0%, note - the designers say some downward force is needed to centralise the spindle inside the bearing.  makes sense to moi, anyway!  :thumb:

Andy

:offtopic:

Yes, 10% is the figure the man who designs the excellent Spiral Groove TT told us at the Melb. Audio Club when he was a presenter at one of our GMs a couple of years back.

What it also does is dampen the bearing and platter assembly.  Sounds like perfect sense to me too.

16 hours ago, Red MacKay said:

:offtopic:

Yes, 10% is the figure the man who designs the excellent Spiral Groove TT told us at the Melb. Audio Club when he was a presenter at one of our GMs a couple of years back.

What it also does is dampen the bearing and platter assembly.  Sounds like perfect sense to me too.

looks like Spiral Groove is using a similar idea to your Skeletal Linn with Tranquility and JC Verdier but still keeps the spindle thrust bearing albeit with a much lower load

The Platine Verdier actually floats partially by magnetic levitation with a load bearing quantity of oil below the main lateral bearing

http://www.auditorium-23.de/Verdier/Platine.html

all clever ideas I reckon!

Thanks Carl888 and others for your excellent photos and TonyM's report on the Aries Cerat system in particular.

Having been a professional musician in the past, I found this closer to the real thing than just about any other system I've heard at shows that I can recall.

Of course personal taste comes into play, so while others may have found its midrange projection a bit off-putting, there were certain aspects that lesser

and MUCH cheaper systems could not match.

While this system had the benefit of the largest room by far, a bass resonance was evident, which some may have mistakenly attributed to the equipment.

Talking to the most pleasant distributor(?) who had not brought any room treatments with him, we're reminded of the difficulties faced by exhibitors in

quickly creating a system sound in an unfamiliar show environment that will justify its price tag. Almost impossible with high end!

I take my hat off to Aries Cerat for their innovative approach and the importer for his courage in reaching so high into the audio stratosphere, financially and arguably, sonically. 

Edited by Audionerd

Would somebody please direct me to the pictures of the hifi show, surely there are more than appear in this thread?

Ummm, don't mention the war, weary.