2018 Melbourne. Chester Como Show

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just wondering if the show this weekend in Sth Yarra is on anyone’s radar?

Not looking to start a debate or get a thread locked as i see an earlier thread closed down on it for going off topic and I sense there is/was some issues between the two events but has anyone locked it into their calendar?

looks to be a lot of vendors and retailers listed and floor plan looks similar too. 

Last weekends show was my first of that kind and I really enjoyed it, if this is more of the same it could be good also? 

Yeah, more of the same but different.  If last week was your first and you enjoyed it then you should go again to this one.  I was planning to, but I think I may be hi-show'd out.  I'll decide on Saturday morning.  You'll see some different systems there.

• Like 1

The previous thread was locked out of respect. Starting a thread about a rival show which is in direct competition and is hostile to the other, is the equivalent of turning up at the Coke factory sipping Pepsi. It’s about respect in the house you’re a guest in.

4 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Were there many people there?

It was very busy when I departed about 3pm.    A few nice sounds, at least to my wooden ears.  Audio Note was the highlight.  ARC/Sonus Faber and the Vivid room was ok.  Same with Harbeth. 

Hotels are a hostile environment for Audio so difficult to make a conclusion.  

• Like 2

Wish I could have gone. I prebought tickets, but family issues came up and we couldn't go. If someone wants to pick up two day passes for this last day in Melbourne, message me and I can email them to you, though you have to pretend to be me and my brother.

Edited by Ittaku

• Volunteer
4 minutes ago, Rocketfrogs said:

I see the famous (infamous) Mag Lev turntable.  I would of loved to have seen that in action.

I was chatting to the owner of a hifi store that sells this (not the same chap as at the show)… he says it sounds pretty good but it's a really pain to change records (or even change sides). You have to wait for it to stop spinning, the platter supports need to come up and only then can you take the record off. Then it has to start up again

The whole process takes a couple of minutes which would be a show-stopper for me

39 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I was chatting to the owner of a hifi store that sells this (not the same chap as at the show)… he says it sounds pretty good but it's a really pain to change records (or even change sides). You have to wait for it to stop spinning, the platter supports need to come up and only then can you take the record off. Then it has to start up again

The whole process takes a couple of minutes which would be a show-stopper for me

I just want to see the expression on everyone's faces while waiting for this process....?

1 hour ago, Willco said:

I'd be interested in anyones report on the Aries Cerat room ?

Willco

I spent some time there and took a lot of pics.  I'm tied up ATM, but will post some photos and impressions later - the sound WAS impressive!

Here's one in the meantime:

DSC_4748.thumb.JPG.afb6a496989274b5c994242ab5680a8d.JPG

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Tony M said:

I spent some time there and took a lot of pics.  I'm tied up ATM, but will post some photos and impressions later - the sound WAS impressive!

Here's one in the meantime:

Thank you Tony -- Much appreciated--just curious on what all the kerfuffle is about on overseas forums:)

Pity those speaker are so damn ugly--the big horn looks like an afterthought!

Ah well

Willco

Curious why there's nothing here about it?  Does it have a separate thread?  Anyone go?  I attended yesterday and had a great time.  

I attended two days and enjoyed the show and the talks. Also attended the show the previous week!

I too wondered about two shows being organised so close together.

Many good rooms and went back to several of them. IMG_1546.jpgIMG_1559.jpgIMG_1544.jpgIMG_1546.jpgIMG_1544.jpg

2 hours ago, Willco said:

I'd be interested in anyones report on the Aries Cerat room ?

Willco

It was the first thing I listened to when I arrived and I thank the gentleman demonstrating it for not playing it at 110db with some gut wrenching bass. 

Amazing dynamics, front to back depth and scaling of instruments within the soundstage.  I found it very forward in the midrange and coloured with female voice so it was not to my taste (I'm using stacked Quads) but I can really get the appeal.  Hifi is largely subjective, you might love it.  

20181020_100856.jpg

20181020_100931.jpg

20181020_100914.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrator

If this thread is to continue without being shut down, it should be strictly regarding topics relating to this (UK Chester Group) show only.
Comments relating to the organisation, two shows back to back in one town, and politics should be left out of the thread.

They do nothing but serve to fuel the fire and create further hostility in what has been a very fragile and complex issue that most will not understand.

Stakeholders and those with a vested interest understand why what has happened has, and the public discussion on one of the organiser's own websites serves no purpose and does not help to solve a problem that is being addressed with priority for future years.

• Like 4

A few more pics of the Aries Serat room.  The photos fail miserably to give any real indication of the massive scale of this stuff, both physically and sonically.  Dynamics were effortless and the scale of the soundstage was huge.  I didn't hear enough familiar music to really suss it out but a homemade recording of some flamenco guitarists/vocalists/dancers was quite spooky due to the immediacy of the feet on a timber floor - absolutely amazing.

A serous listen wasn't really on the cards given the cost, size and aesthetics?! of the system, but it was an experience not to be missed.  There's always something new out there and this system was 100% "out there". 

lDSC_4740.thumb.JPG.893a683e4edd7f86c1c4dabf7b055550.JPG

DSC_4742.thumb.JPG.ef024f3df7348cec61c2c13855364a74.JPG

DSC_4744.thumb.JPG.144d685008e2f97332827c5a0f703794.JPG

DSC_4752.thumb.JPG.b86f61c91b425b7d1306ef06a2907613.JPG

DSC_4753.thumb.JPG.6dbda94b2977761616b17d9d89b8ac7f.JPG

DSC_4755.thumb.JPG.9847eccb6a702ca9162dd3d5999cad98.JPG 

DSC_4756.thumb.JPG.15172d0d71457ddd2fc7d27278ac999c.JPG

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 2

I guess anyone that knows me will understand I loved the sound in this room.  Yes, it would've been nicer with better speaker stands and some valves, but it was dynamic, alive and thoroughly enjoyable anyway, especially since all the equipment was about 40 years old:

DSC_4708.thumb.JPG.561c40c9619f80a9b6040c54bca5f69b.JPG

DSC_4709.thumb.JPG.2b9914636725d3f2c69ed26234b0ba31.JPG

DSC_4710.thumb.JPG.1871548784dfd5ebaac8f5d9df3e1f15.JPG

DSC_4711.thumb.JPG.591b7bb5d73cfb9706932ce978005b11.JPG

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

If this thread is to continue without being shut down, it should be strictly regarding topics relating to this (UK Chester Group) show only.
Comments relating to the organisation, two shows back to back in one town, and politics should be left out of the thread.

They do nothing but serve to fuel the fire and create further hostility in what has been a very fragile and complex issue that most will not understand.

Stakeholders and those with a vested interest understand why what has happened has, and the public discussion on one of the organiser's own websites serves no purpose and does not help to solve a problem that is being addressed with priority for future years.

Oh dear, I’m obviously in the dark about all this! [emoji15]

@Tony M  Thanks for the pics Tony.

I wish I could of afforded(My health I'm talking about) to have stayed down for the extra week as my daughter lives just around the corner from the Como and when in Bleak City I usually stay at the Como or her unit.

Knowing the 'Shed' and what's in there I can well imagine you'd of loved the Aries Serat room and the other room with those strangely familiar speakers... haha.

Good Grief!  Those anti vibration platforms...

Thankfully @Eggmiester is no longer a member coz I'm sure he'd dive right in at these.

• Like 1