New Sony Bravia but can't hear Youtube TV audio.

I just bought a Sony Bravia 43" TV so i could watch Youtube on a bigger screen. I finally sorted out the wi-fi and sat down to watch my first video. I was disappointed because i couldn't get any sound.

The only way i could get sound in the end was to switch from my external speakers to the crappy little tv speakers.

I have Foxtel satellite tv and i'm wondering if their stb is the problem here? Surely one can watch Youtube TV and have the sound coming thru' an AV receiver? I want to watch concerts mainly and the ones i've watched sound bloody awfu thru the tv speakers.

Is there something i need to change within the settings?

Thanks.

I found the ARC unreliable on my Sony and had to resort to running optical to receiver as well, but only for streaming from TV. Fiddled around with alot of settings but couldn't get anything to fix the issue. I'd love to know if someone has found a solution. 

2 minutes ago, BuffySlayer said:

I found the ARC unreliable on my Sony and had to resort to running optical to receiver as well, but only for streaming from TV. Fiddled around with alot of settings but couldn't get anything to fix the issue. I'd love to know if someone has found a solution. 

ARC can be unreliable with everything!  Not just Sony.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2018 at 7:00 PM, Seak said:

HDMI ARC was only ever designed as a return channel for digital TV audio, nothing more or less.

eARC is the next generation ARC that will carry all types of audio...

Read  all about it here:

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

Yep, I had all equipment going direct into receiver, and only required ARC for TV audio from likes of inbuilt apps like Netflix and Stan, but it wouldn't play nice. Basically, the only way it would work was to turn everything off and on again, so could not switch from say Foxtel to Netflix and have ARC kick in. Didn't matter which order things were turned on, it just wouldn't switch into ARC. Very frustrating process I must say (especially scrounging through my box full of old cables to find an optical cable as I hadn't used one in years!) 

Thanks for the replies.

I've connected the tv to the receiver via an optical cable as suggested. It's great not having to listen thru' the little television speakers now, however i can only get sound from the front speakers, no sound from the centre speaker unfortunately.