Suggested demo roon music for HI Fi Show 2019

In the light of so much jazz being played and the associated frustrations of a lot of visitors/listeners at this years otherwise excellent show, I thought it might be a good idea to have a 'suggested music thread' for demo's at next years show.....in the hope that it be read by 'attentive' 2019 exhibitors!? Jazz is certainly a great genre to showcase a systems attributes but after going from room to room and being repeatedly subjected to pretty much 'same old, same old', it becomes a bit annoying. Enough 'lullaby' jazz please (although I have NO complaints about the Dean Martin LP playing in the Kharma room, that was sublime!?) How about some jazz/rock fusion or just some plain old 'rock'? Well recorded examples of course.

Anyway, here are some of my suggestions:

- Any Sade LP (always beautifully recorded material....with a decent beat)

- Christopher Cross self titled (digitally recorded but a superb sounding LP)

- Donald Fagan's 'The Nightfly'.....also digitally recorded and I am astounded to have not heard this LP playing at the show at all in the last two years!

- Supertramp 'Brother Where You Bound' (superbly dynamic recording, astounding SQ)

- FGTH 'WTTPD' (for sheer dynamics and just plain entertainment value!)

- The Presets 'Apocalypso' or 'Beams' (for dynamics and bass test)

- Pink Floyd 'DSOTM' (audiophile versions) especially 'The Great Gig in the Sky'.

- Split Enz 'See Ya Round' (don't laugh, this is an amazingly dynamic and clear recording!) ....also 'Conflicting Emotions, for the same reason.

- Sting 'Nothing Like The Sun' (again a superb recording with lovely dynamics)

- More Kraftwerk! Especially the 'Man Machine'....shorter songs, great dynamics and superbly recorded.

- Simple Minds 'Once Upon A Time' (especially 'Jungleland'....to test whether the system actually 'rocks')

- Any Dixie Dregs album (always well recorded, exciting with excellent musicianship)

I could go on.....and if you have to suggest jazz, please just make it foot tapping dynamic jazz, not sleeping tablet jazz....ie: no Nora Jones!?

I understand we all have different music tastes and the above list obviously reflects a lot of mine (I have avoided suggesting 'classical' because I don't really like it but of course, if that is your bag......go for it!)....but there were a few complaints re: music used at this years show, so I'm just tapping into that in the hope that the demo music at next years show reflects some diversity and entertainment value while still showcasing a systems positive attributes......ie: more choices that please and entertain more visitors.?

Over to you....? Cheers...

Edited by stevoz

• Volunteer
42 minutes ago, stevoz said:

In the light of so much jazz being played and the associated frustrations of a lot of visitors/listeners at this years otherwise excellent show, I thought it might be a good idea to have a 'suggested music thread' for demo's at next years show.....in the hope that it be read by 'attentive' 2019 exhibitors!? Jazz is certainly a great genre to showcase a systems attributes but after going from room to room and being repeatedly subjected to pretty much 'same old, same old', it becomes a bit annoying. Enough 'lullaby' jazz please (although I have NO complaints about the Dean Martin LP playing in the Kharma room, that was sublime!?) How about some jazz/rock fusion or just some plain old 'rock'? Well recorded examples of course.

Anyway, here are some of my suggestions:

- Any Sade LP (always beautifully recorded material....with a decent beat)

- Christopher Cross self titled (digitally recorded but a superb sounding LP)

- Donald Fagan's 'The Nightfly'.....also digitally recorded and I am astounded to have not heard this LP playing at the show at all in the last two years!

- Supertramp 'Brother Where You Bound' (superbly dynamic recording, astounding SQ)

- FGTH 'WTTPD' (for sheer dynamics and just plain entertainment value!)

- The Presets 'Apocalypso' or 'Beams' (for dynamics and bass test)

- Pink Floyd 'DSOTM' (audiophile versions) especially 'The Great Gig in the Sky'.

- Split Enz 'See Ya Round' (don't laugh, this is an amazingly dynamic and clear recording!) ....also 'Conflicting Emotions, for the same reason.

- Sting 'Nothing Like The Sun' (again a superb recording with lovely dynamics)

- More Kraftwerk! Especially the 'Man Machine'....shorter songs, great dynamics and superbly recorded.

- Simple Minds 'Once Upon A Time' (especially 'Jungleland'....to test whether the system actually 'rocks')

- Any Dixie Dregs album (always well recorded, exciting with excellent musicianship)

I could go on.....and if you have to suggest jazz, please just make it foot tapping dynamic jazz, not sleeping tablet jazz....ie: no Nora Jones!?

I understand we all have different music tastes and the above list obviously reflects a lot of mine (I have avoided suggesting 'classical' because I don't really like it but of course, if that is your bag......go for it!)....but there were a few complaints re: music used at this years show, so I'm just tapping into that in the hope that the demo music at next years show reflects some diversity and entertainment value while still showcasing a systems positive attributes......ie: more choices that please and entertain more visitors.?

Over to you....? Cheers...

No offence meant, but I would walk out of a room that was playing pretty much any of those tracks. 

Not saying my musical tastes are better, just that it’s impossible to please everyone. 

On the other hand, I doubt there were many  rooms that would refuse to play a song if you simply asked them. 

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

No offence meant, but I would walk out of a room that was playing pretty much any of those tracks. 

Not saying my musical tastes are better, just that it’s impossible to please everyone. 

On the other hand, I doubt there were many  rooms that would refuse to play a song if you requested it 

Well, that's you're right of choice of course  but frankly, I didn't even enter some rooms on the strength of what they were playing! I'm just after more variety of music and more music which excites the senses rather than lulls them.....ie: cater for more music tastes instead of just pleasing the jazz heads.?

Edited by stevoz

36 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

How about a "Classic Album Sunday" format where one room is set up with a good system and it plays classic albums cover to cover, with someone to talk about it?

Can I pick the record?

3 minutes ago, barn door said:

If I hear rock music in a room, it’s my queue to walk out . . . immediately.
You can’t please everyone, all of the time . . . If we did, life would be bland.

Exactly.

People need to accept that during shows, their own musical agenda will often not be that of everyone else. People have been complaining about music played at shows ever since they began, but somehow we still enjoy them.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, barn door said:

You can’t please everyone, all of the time . . . If we did, life would be bland.

Yeah, the current problem is hearing the same breathy female jazzy vocals in almost every room. Maybe we could have different genres scheduled at different times, turn up to hear the music that you like

• Like 3

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Well, that's you're right of choice of course  but frankly, I didn't even enter some rooms on the strength of what they were playing! I'm just after more variety of music and more music which excites the senses rather than lulls them.....ie: cater for more music tastes instead of just pleasing the jazz heads.?

Perhaps they were playing something that a visitor requested?
I personally wouldn't enter a room playing Sade. In reality, though, I would, as the next tracks might be something of interest to me.

I do find this whole Hi-Fi Show Music concept interesting though. From your list, I heard Donald Fagan, Pink Floyd, Split Enz and Sting playing across the course of three days but then I probably cover more ground than anyone.

Over the last two years we created the Tidal playlist for the show - based on suggestions from readers. It was used by some exhibitors again this year.
My theory is that many are not spending long enough in each room (or don't even enter the room because of the track playing at that moment) and don't get to hear a variety of music. I actually heard less Jazz this year than any other year, and with the exception of Chris Jones' No Sanctuary Here which was certainly overplayed, thought that this year's music variety was the best to date.

Are you making requests of the exhibitor with your own music (although I know most exhibitors didn't have CD Players this year)? I've always found them very receptive to those requests.

Are we banging on about something that's actually not really an issue? :)

But, the same topic is raised on every forum, after every Hi-Fi show.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marc said:

Are we banging on about something that's actually not really an issue? :)

But, the same topic is raised on every forum, after every Hi-Fi show.

Yes indeed we are.? It comes up after every show.

Such first world problems. I don't know how people cope?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, rantan said:

Exactly.

People need to accept that during shows, their own musical agenda will often not be that of everyone else. People have been complaining about music played at shows ever since they began, but somehow we still enjoy them.

I think people do accept that but we're not all into 'coma jazz' are we??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With that said, I'm happy to build a new Playlist for 2018 and share it with the exhibitors.

Good idea . . . as a suggestion, might keep things more interesting if the criteria is new music only (nothing older than 18-months) . . . That way we can still have all genres represented, yet avoids the usual “if I hear (insert song name here) one more time!” frustration.

Who knows, might even get a few of us to give new music in genres we don’t usually listen to a chance.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stevoz said:

I think people do accept that but we're not all into 'coma jazz' are we??

I certainly hope not.?

For the record (no pun intended ) I am not a fan of coma or breathy jazz.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, barn door said:

Good idea . . . as a suggestion, might keep things more interesting if the criteria is new music only (nothing older than 18-months) . . . That way we can still have all genres represented, yet avoids the usual “if I hear (insert song name here) one more time!” frustration.

Who knows, might even get a few of us to give new music in genres we don’t usually listen to a chance.

Highly restrictive and narrow.....unless you're actually after more complaints.? Nothing wrong with wanting to hear familiar music....or music genres that one actually likes and plays at home.

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, barn door said:

Which is exactly the reason rock should be played.....??

How many times were any of you in a room at the show, enjoying the sound but thinking "Gee, imagine what _______(insert favourite LP here) would sound like on this system!"

I'm also thinking it might be a good idea if each room had two LP stands (if they're actually playing LP's that is and not just tapping on a tablet), the first stand displays 'currently playing' for those that are interested and the second stand displays what will be playing next. If you enter the room and think '"oh geez, Chris Jones' No Sanctuary Here....again!" but see that they're going to play something you like next, you can return later to hear that. Musical genre satisfaction at hi fi shows is usually pretty 'hit or miss', so this may help a bit. Even better, just display playlists and punters can check them out then ask "Can I hear this one?".....perfect for the digital filers, maybe a bit harder with LP's.

Edited by stevoz

45 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Which tracks out of your original list would you classify as “rock” :na:

Not many? but I certainly don't want rock excluded from the show because 'some don't like it'......an equal amount of people may turn tail when they hear 'more jazz!' or classical emanating from a room?. No one can really claim to know what the average audio punter and show attendee likes....

An example of the influence of familiar genres.....some people have written in the main show thread that they were not at all impressed with the JBL L100 Classics. Maybe they heard an unfamiliar or less liked music genre playing at the time?  (Admittedly, it was not the best set up room) I went in and they were playing FGTH's 'WTTPD', which is on my list and it was one of the highlights of the show for me and I subsequently thought the L100 Classic's were fantastic! It helped that they were playing what I would play at home....

Just a sidenote to all: I didn't want this thread to go in the debate direction on whether there is or isn't a music issue at the show or which genres are better or worse or for it to be a pseudo 'genre' poll.....I just wanted to provide, for those who do have an issue with 'genre variety' at such events, a place to make suggestions if they desire.?

.....and @Marc , please don't view this thread as a 'complaints' thread....it is not, as there was little to complain about with this years show....it was GREAT!?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, stevoz said:

.....and @Marc , please don't view this thread as a 'complaints' thread....it is not, as there was little to complain about with this years show....it was GREAT!?

No not at all, mate. The show would never evolve without feedback, good and bad. :)

I don't take my own music, there's plenty in each room to get a variety to choose from.  Exhibitors don't exactly come with a couple of albums only.  Many use digital streaming, which is an endless supply of music, and the rooms with vinyl have at least a handful to look through. 

When I hear a track that's being played to death, or a genre that I'm not in to, I simply ask if they can play something different.  I leave it up to the presenter, and I don't get too worked up if it's not music I'd normally buy.

• Like 4

Why not let the exhibitors who wish to,  put up a schedule of what they'll be playing at a particular time ; by genre, or even by particular albums/artists, etc,

ie:

9-9:30 Audiophile "coma" jazz 

10:00-10:30  Beatles, Stones

11-11:30 Classical - Wagner Operas, Beethoven Symphonies 

12-12:30 Metal  

1:00-1:30 BYO- each person in the room gets to pick 1 track from tidal/spotify/etc, or from their own CD, vinyl, etc

Free sessions would provide time to discuss the equipment, answer questions, etc, and 

This could posted up on the door of each room, or on the Show Website, so people could plan their visit to each room based on what they want to listen to, or what they want to avoid.

If it was on the website, the exhibitors could schedule sessions to avoid clashes,  and this could be tweaked as the show went on as some musical sessions  will obviously be more popular and well attended than others.

• Like 3