Possible Fetch replacement

Ok after upgrading a Fetch TV from a TiVo about a year ago, the unit has now become unreliable. I get picture breakup, also frozen then blank screens. Then the next day all is good. I’ve had someone come in to check then replace an older TV antenna.

My Plasma TV doesn’t have a digital tuner as its that old. [emoji4] however it still puts out a great picture.. So what to do?

I’m hesitant to spend $400 on another Fetch.

I currently have a Apple TV which can provide my streaming requirements and I do have a FOXTEL box in another room.

So I suppose all I might need is a reliable set top box with a good picture quality and recording abilities.. Any suggestions would be helpful....

Kensell

I have a Topfield 2400 - it was the ducks guts a decade ago, and still works really well, if all you want is free to air and reliable recording.

Mates rates - my wife will be happy to see another box go.

We stopped using it this month when we upgraded to IQ4 Foxtel, which enables us to run FTA TV through the IQ4 and record that there.

I won't be at Coates on Saturday, but otherwise I am sure we can arrange a suitable delivery/catch-up.  You might like to see the turntable tweaks done whilst you were away.

Benje

We have 3 fetch mighties. All seem fine ? One is Optus provided others out right purchase.

have owned a few pvr in my time being a digital tv early adopter. Frankly have got no complaints about the fetch...

• Like 1

I have had Fetch TV supplied by Optus 

They upgraded the older model to the new model for free 

All working OK 

On rare occasions I need to do a soft restart because the remote control signal goes haywire inside the Fetch unit and that fixes it up 

Try a soft restart to reset the unit 

( No recordings are deleted )

Another option is to try a hard restart - that takes the unit back to factory settings ( all recordings are deleted ) 

Edited by Full Range

Thanks all for your replies.
I suppose I could be unlucky as the times it does work, it works well. Even the wife can use it! [emoji6].
I’m still not sure if it’s an antenna issue but I thought that was fixed as I had someone come in to replace it and check the cabling..
Anyway it’s out of warranty unfortunately..
I’ll be probably following up Benje’s offer and look forward to catching up with him..

47 minutes ago, Kensell21 said:

Well, you look forward to catching up on some recorded TV after being away but you get this! When it works, it works great, when it doesn’t, err it doesn’t!!

d6d9104159c01b16fba205ce37b485b1.jpg&key=ab5788118fa29169bfc7a4086734ebd0ac2bab91f662c80f6691ec5051bb1c12d6d9104159c01b16fba205ce37b485b1.jpg&key=ab5788118fa29169bfc7a4086734ebd0ac2bab91f662c80f6691ec5051bb1c12

with years .... of digital tv from early days... what I see above wiht tearing of picture is just poor signal/strength. if delve into the fetch menu I am sure there will be a signal strength indicator.

I used to get it myself at one stage some years ago.... turned out one element of antenna had fallen off(visiting birds)... this was way before the fetch with the TivoHD we used to run. also remember it when in regional victoria... but that was more down to the signal boosters needed there.

my dad used to get that too... was when his old pre digital antenna was inside the roof. replaced with a new one on the roof and problem went away. again just signal related is not the right antenna in the right place ! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/10/2018 at 9:23 PM, Kensell21 said:

Anyway it’s out of warranty unfortunately..

Take the fetch to another location, and check that it displays the same fault.

Once you are sure it isn't your reception issue, then talk to the retailer and/or to Fetch.   For the price of a Fetch Mighty, I would expect faults to be fixed well beyond the advertised warranty terms.   I wouldn't expect you to fork out for a new one due to what you've described.

FWIW.   My Fetch Might has been faultless, except for the current bugs in the iView app.

Thanks for all the input.

Another night to watch tv then this! Not sure if I can blame signal strength? No picture at all. Happens on occasion..

on the other hand, it’s an opportunity to suggest to the wife that a new TV is needed.. [emoji4] I have a Apple TV so I’d be happy just using the TV stand alone without the Fetch.

I think mine would be the gen 2, replaced when I exchanged my TiVo with the discounted price with the trade in. not sure s the current version of the model.

1ba1185c5bd759a45313224aa1d7fc41.jpg&key=15b6dcf257987edf93e0709c4df0ce523f728c745f29e1b8884fe998ad87e9cf

10 minutes ago, Kensell21 said:

Another night to watch tv then this! Not sure if I can blame signal strength? No picture at all. Happens on occasion..

your photos and if at times getting no signal at all, also hints at signal. if signal gets so bad it will drop out .... :) 

different tuners have different sensitivity.... you might have better luck with a new tv but I wouldnt bank on it... 

ring up someone like jims antenna or some such. they will come do a signal test. let you know if something needs doing at your antenna end :)

Thanks Al,
Already had Jim’s out a while ago and $350 later, a new antenna..
I wasn’t home when he came. I left it to the wife..
although he did reassure me that he’d check the cabling etc..
I assume he did.. it work for months without an issue..
ugh problem solved..
Because all of this is random, it’s hard to pin it down to weather etc. from what I’ve found online, the fetch tuners are more sensitive? A tv in another room connected to the same antenna doesn’t seem to have an issue..

Not an hour ago, I had a frozen picture..
picture ok now with good signal strength..

273d12e8d0d96531936c7229916e2417.jpg

22 minutes ago, Kensell21 said:

Because all of this is random, it’s hard to pin it down to weather etc. from what I’ve found online, the fetch tuners are more sensitive? A tv in another room connected to the same antenna doesn’t seem to have an issue..

Not an hour ago, I had a frozen picture..
picture ok now with good signal strength..

it could be like what happened to me a large fat bird sat on my antenna and broke an element of it ... thats all it took can go back in the records and likely find posts of mine checking signal levels and what not...  ( I live on bird flight path to their way to a lake/ sanctuary / nation park) 

yes indeed receivers can vary in sensitivity. the fetch mighty have 3 tuners capability to record 3 at the same time. 

if its not ok thats what these jim antenna people make a living with. if not ok its not ok.

I am not sure why the signal strength bar is not all way across 100% see mine below,

45841902521_d1b22a5ee8_b.jpg

perhaps yours is a touch borderline or something and at times (weather conditions humidity who knows it drops just below where gets variable ? 

I wouldn’t have thought my location would be an issue.

A picture of my antennas.. there’s two. Could that be an issue?

I notice they are not pointing in the same direction..

Ones suppose to be for a dedicated FM reception..

I’m no tech so I left it to him.. probably about 6 months ago.

2d53882e940337cc0d7de5c98b145e88.jpg&key=4efbdf2cee75a32d90dbb87bb2240023ea11b617fb95d3c5d8d105d857d653b3

I’m been out of the country for a bit. I’ve not just had the time to sort this out as I’ve been back at work.

Just might have to get up there and remove the FM one and maybe fine tune the direction of the other?

Btw don’t honk there’s any damage on a recent look.