Which *online* sites are you buying *new* vinyl from at the moment?

I have bought heaps off off Juno.co.uk, it sucks you have to pay GST now.

I have done an order on a Friday had the records the following Friday! Seams a little slower now with postage.

They have heaps of sales and a massive collection of all genres, definitely my go to online store after Discogs.

• Like 4

Also member of Vinyl, Me Please, it is really good, cost about $80-100 for 3 months, they send you record each month, which could be jazz to punk and all in between, it’s great way of getting something you probably wouldn’t of bought.

Plus they have a big catalogue which you can purchase and add to your monthly order and records are cheaper then Aus.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1.Discrepency Records

2. Vinyl Destination

3. Ebay

4. Online at Thornbury Records

5. Jb hifi

6. Fishpond au

7. Audiophile recordings 

[emoji106]

I recently made a purchase from Vinyl Destination and Thornbury Records.

Thornbury is great, their price is good, fast delivery and packed very well. However not many records I want from their website.

Vinyl Destination is disappointing. Two of the older American pressings I wanted, one is listed in stock with the supplier so it’s fine. The other one listed as in stock but they didn’t have it in stock and ended up buying something else.

Still waiting for the delivery. Not sure I will buy from them again as the price is quite high, and slooow delivery.

On 19/11/2018 at 6:15 PM, ryehifi said:

Also member of Vinyl, Me Please, it is really good, cost about $80-100 for 3 months, they send you record each month, which could be jazz to punk and all in between, it’s great way of getting something you probably wouldn’t of bought.

Plus they have a big catalogue which you can purchase and add to your monthly order and records are cheaper then Aus.

im very tempted by that website

looking at it right now

On 19/11/2018 at 8:15 PM, ryehifi said:

I was a member for 3 months and pulled out. No question, the releases I purchased were outstanding in regards to sound quality and packaging; it’s the receiving of an album that I possibly didn’t like that swayed me to leave.

27 minutes ago, soundfan said:

I was a member for 3 months and pulled out. No question, the releases I purchased were outstanding in regards to sound quality and packaging; it’s the receiving of an album that I possibly didn’t like that swayed me to leave.

I'm the same - I'd rather buy something I really like on the s/hand market.

So far, there's been very very few I can't live without.

Glad I never signed up.

• Like 1

I can understand why in Oz many use Amazon, especially those who live far from a big city. I live in France and the nearest big city Toulouse, is over an hour away by car and I'm not impressed by what's on offer. Once you've costed in the price to get there and that France outside of Paris is not a good place to buy vinyl your left with the i/net.

I used to live in Brighton, Sussex and buying new or s/hand I was spoiled for choice. Car boot sales at the end of the 80's and into the 90's meant early rising every Saturday and Sunday. You had to move fast to get ahead of the dealers, 'scanning' and moving at a rate of knots.

No one has mentioned the extortionate percentage that Amazon charge to sell your vinyl. Discogs is reasonable, if i have no alternative that is where I shall unload a lot of vinyl, I've got over 1000 LPs and only want to keep about 400.

I've made some good buys on discogs and one bad buy from Italy. What really hacks me off is my own country. Many sellers in the UK rip you off with postage, in fact I think they make more on postage than on selling records. Some European countries have very high postal charges so there's nothing sellers can do, as always Germany is a good country to buy from.

I used to buy a lot of stuff (including Lp's) from the USA but $21-23 per LP means that now it is a no-no. There is one exception - Collectors Choice - they only deal in new/mint LP's and the shipping charge to the EU is about $6 - very well packed as well - check them out on discogs and see what they charge to send to Oz.

An noticed with interest yr comment about German postage being cheap. I have bought records on eBay from Germany and the postage is the same as within Oz. And you get a German pressing.
Bulk postage from Japan is good too
I usually buy 4 or so at a time from eBay japanese sellers
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

44 minutes ago, RickSL said:

What happened? I’ve always had outstanding service from them.

$50+ vinyl box set arrived damaged.  They insisted I return it to the US at a cost of about $50. I did provide photos and advise of the return cost. Said they would refund all costs upon it's return.

Disappeared. 

23 minutes ago, eman said:

$50+ vinyl box set arrived damaged.  They insisted I return it to the US at a cost of about $50. I did provide photos and advise of the return cost. Said they would refund all costs upon it's return.

Disappeared. 

That’s pretty poor service. When I had a warped record arrive, they replaced it, no questions asked, and said to bin the warped copy.

6 hours ago, RickSL said:

That’s pretty poor service. When I had a warped record arrive, they replaced it, no questions asked, and said to bin the warped copy.

Yeah, I was a repeat customer up until that and was buying through their own website so they could have checked that if they were bothered.

• 1 year later...

I've used www.vinyl.com.au a few times now and other than not being able to supply one particular album I was after, everything has been great.  Packaging and shipping is good and they always have a discount code for future purchases.  

They seem to have a pretty wide range as well.  Occasionally stock isn't immediately able to be shipped but took no longer than about a week for out of stock items to arrive.

Tim.

• 2 months later...
On 27/02/2020 at 8:37 PM, thecoffeegent said:

So JB HiFi is fairly credible (within context) for picking up new records?

I’m new to vinyl and need to pick up a few and JB is certainly a convenient option here in Brisbane.

Where are you in Brisbane? J B is certainly the most convenient, but I've just got back into buying vinyl and have found a few local records stores on the South side that I like.

I prefer to support a local record store and try and build a relationship with them. I'm looking at the long term play and if i'm familiar enough, may be get a call when a record I'm looking for comes in second hand.

Sonic Sherpa at Stones Corner have been good in my limited dealings and do onine too. 

Hi All,

I have bought a few over the past month from Discrepancy, from their 'Warehouse Sale' area. The are a lot of albums in the $20 - $30 range with a $6 discount on most other albums you purchase after the first one.

JJ