Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
djmt

Fan noise and mini desktops

Recommended Posts

Considering a mini desktop as a music server/roon core. Is what I'm seeing online about excessive fan noise a real concern or the occasional unit having problems. I would appreciate any input from those with first hand experience. Fanless could be an option but most suppliers (at least to my knowledge) are based overseas. Thanks for your input.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive got an i3 nuc (cant remember which one but its one of the new models) sat on my desk and I cant hear a thing from it.  Got an older one downstairs that streams to the TV and you can hear the fan if youre about a metre from it and theres no other sound in the room but  that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Gigabyte is as quiet as mouse . . When its not squeaking.  Sounds good too :)

But any PC should be used with audio filtering software and hardware such as:

Fidelizer, JPlay, 

Empirical Audio Offramp, USB shortblock filter or similar.  . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PC fan noise can be an issue.  I've got five NUC's.  3x i5's and 2x i7's.  Yes you can hear them, so it has to be a consideration if you're using in the room that you're listening.  You can manipulate the fan use in the BIOS, but you don't want to cook the PC obviously.

 

On a similar note, I added some fan cooling to my DAC/streamer via USB - from the AC Infinity range, and that fan is quiet!  Maybe an option for you by turning the PC fan off if it's too noisy and using one of these -

 

https://www.acinfinity.com/quiet-usb-fans/

Edited by Kaynin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

On a similar note, I added some fan cooling to my DAC/streamer via USB - from the AC Infinity range, and that fan is quiet!  Maybe an option for you by turning the PC fan off if it's too noisy and using one of these -

 

https://www.acinfinity.com/quiet-usb-fans/

Agreed, I had older version of these on my old AVR that used to get quite warm. It was super quiet and mine had no speed control. Only downside for me was my AVR's usb was permanently powered so it ran 24/7.

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-usb-fans/multifan-s2-quiet-usb-cooling-blower-120mm/
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy specially made low noise fans for not much money. The will be quieter than the ambient db in your room, so you won't hear them. Both for the motherboard and for the exhaust. 

Then it depends on if the internals of your PC allow you to switch fans.

 

There's also this:

http://www.fit-pc.com.au/airtop

 

fitpc makes very good small fanless computers. There are other models, I don't know if they are available in OZ. Not cheap, but good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, firedog said:

You can buy specially made low noise fans for not much money. The will be quieter than the ambient db in your room, so you won't hear them. Both for the motherboard and for the exhaust. 

Then it depends on if the internals of your PC allow you to switch fans.

 

There's also this:

http://www.fit-pc.com.au/airtop

 

fitpc makes very good small fanless computers. There are other models, I don't know if they are available in OZ. Not cheap, but good. 

 

4 hours ago, blybo said:

Agreed, I had older version of these on my old AVR that used to get quite warm. It was super quiet and mine had no speed control. Only downside for me was my AVR's usb was permanently powered so it ran 24/7.

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-usb-fans/multifan-s2-quiet-usb-cooling-blower-120mm/
 

 

 

 

5 hours ago, Kaynin said:

PC fan noise can be an issue.  I've got five NUC's.  3x i5's and 2x i7's.  Yes you can hear them, so it has to be a consideration if you're using in the room that you're listening.  You can manipulate the fan use in the BIOS, but you don't want to cook the PC obviously.

 

On a similar note, I added some fan cooling to my DAC/streamer via USB - from the AC Infinity range, and that fan is quiet!  Maybe an option for you by turning the PC fan off if it's too noisy and using one of these -

 

https://www.acinfinity.com/quiet-usb-fans/

 

6 hours ago, Flamenco_diego said:

My Gigabyte is as quiet as mouse . . When its not squeaking.  Sounds good too :)

But any PC should be used with audio filtering software and hardware such as:

Fidelizer, JPlay, 

Empirical Audio Offramp, USB shortblock filter or similar.  . . .

 

6 hours ago, gypr1961 said:

Ive got an i3 nuc (cant remember which one but its one of the new models) sat on my desk and I cant hear a thing from it.  Got an older one downstairs that streams to the TV and you can hear the fan if youre about a metre from it and theres no other sound in the room but  that's it.

Thanks to all for your input. I'm currently using a laptop, Pentium quadcore, 8 gb ram and 1 tb hdd and never hear the fan. Just curious why the minis have more issues with the fans?  The reason I'm considering the change is to accomodate roon (the real reason) and aesthetics (my sales pitch). I trialed fidelizer, but only the consumer level as the computer has multiple duties. Thought some positives, particularly detail, some negatives, soundstage and bass. Not the best ears and tinnitus to boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...