Help please - spikes for Monitor Audio GS60s

Need some help guys.

Spent three wonderful days at the hifi show enjoying the great speakers on display. Made me aware of just how important setup is and gave me cause to realise that my speakers sitting on the carpet are not the optimal solution and I should use the spikes that came with the speakers. Only problem is that I have had the speakers for over ten years and I have no idea where the spikes and set up case is. 

I have looked on the net for a replacement but no good. I am now looking at aftermarket spikes however the size i cannot work out. Seems to refer to M6 or M8. 

Anybody have an idea how I could work out size other than costly mistakes?

Cheers, Rod

17 minutes ago, rodders3 said:

Thanks @sakabatou. Very good idea. 

Did you visit the isoaucoustic demo? Enlightening, but may not be worth the expense depending on speaker type/value.

Spikes are a cheap and easy option but they will not isolate speakers, they couple them to the floor. Is your floor under the carpet slab or floorboards? Spikes will be an improvement regardless but will work better on a slab which doesn't vibrate much anyway.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

No spikes available from either M&G Hoskins or Interdyn as spares?

Actually spoke to them before (the sydney mob), as I lost one of the metal jumpers and they sent me another. Was good service but thought the speakers so old they probably wont carry them.

45 minutes ago, blybo said:

Did you visit the isoaucoustic demo? Enlightening, but may not be worth the expense depending on speaker type/value.

Spikes are a cheap and easy option but they will not isolate speakers, they couple them to the floor. Is your floor under the carpet slab or floorboards? Spikes will be an improvement regardless but will work better on a slab which doesn't vibrate much anyway.

I am very happy with my speakers and they seem to hold up well against modern speakers IMO. I remember they were the flagship model and cost around $5-6K in 2007. I would definitely invest in some isolation and did see the isoaucoustic demo. I researched that already but the cost to do it properly really gets up there. It is floorboards under and I am happy to go the cheap route to see if it helps.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys.

37 minutes ago, rodders3 said:

Actually spoke to them before (the sydney mob), as I lost one of the metal jumpers and they sent me another. Was good service but thought the speakers so old they probably wont carry them.

I am very happy with my speakers and they seem to hold up well against modern speakers IMO. I remember they were the flagship model and cost around $5-6K in 2007. I would definitely invest in some isolation and did see the isoaucoustic demo. I researched that already but the cost to do it properly really gets up there. It is floorboards under and I am happy to go the cheap route to see if it helps.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys.

Cheaper option than isoacoustics is Herbies

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolation/products/superior-decoupling-spike

I'm actually going to get 3 of these to go under my TT's spikes

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/component-isolation/products/herbies-hush-puckies?variant=12645106122807

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

@rodders3 I have just replaced my herbies cone/spike decoupling glider with the Isoacoustic Gaia 2 under my speakers. In my situation there is no comparison, the Gaia were a massive improvement.

The herbies cone/spike decoupling glider are awesome for sliding speakers around on wood floors to fine tune their position. I haven't tried the herbies hush puckies, they look interesting.

3 hours ago, Whites said:

@rodders3 I have just replaced my herbies cone/spike decoupling glider with the Isoacoustic Gaia 2 under my speakers. In my situation there is no comparison, the Gaia were a massive improvement.

The herbies cone/spike decoupling glider are awesome for sliding speakers around on wood floors to fine tune their position. I haven't tried the herbies hush puckies, they look interesting.

Damn it...... now I'm thinking blow it, get the Iso's. All up it will cost $1050 without negotiating. Very tempting. The Herbies are going to be just under $400 with the insane postage.

@rodders3 Sorry about that, but I had to let you know.

Like @blybo mentioned the Isoacoustic demonstration was impressive. They had two sets of identical speakers, one on normal spikes and one on the Gaia. All they did was swap between them on the same track, there was no gimmicks. The Isoacoustic rep had flown in from Canada and was a down to earth guy, answered a couple of questions without any sales talk beat-up.

Prior to the show I had been thinking about buying them as another SNA member had recommended them. I kept procrastinating because of the price, but after the demo I actually bought then on the spot.

Best improvement to my system other than an equipment upgrade. Please keep in mind I have an old house with a wood floor that has a bit of spring in it and I suspect prone to vibration, hence I probably get the maximum benefit from the Gaia.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rodders3 said:

Damn it...... now I'm thinking blow it, get the Iso's. All up it will cost $1050 without negotiating. Very tempting. The Herbies are going to be just under $400 with the insane postage.

Nah, you need Gaia III's, which you can pick up for $600 (2 sets of 4). Your GS60's weigh 27.1kg, the Gaia III's work on speakers up to 32kg's each.

Edited by blybo

Well I did a bit of shopping around an I have ended up with the GAIA II's. My pricing above was based on III's from Selby HIFI. Also thought about carpet spikes and that all came up to $1050.

Ditched the carpet spikes as complete rip off for what it is and rang Melbourne HIFI who didn't have III's but did have II's. All up $730.

Got day at home so eager as all get out straight to my speakers and undo everything. Disaster - the bloody threads are too big on MA's.   AAAGH!!!!. 

Thinking of ways to shim or buy something so screws from GAIA fit.

Thanks mate. Did that already. Looks to me I need M10 or M12.
Measure the hole, you'll be able to tell if its 10 or 12mm. Best bet from there is to see if Melb hifi will exchange for the correct size (provided it's available). Failing that, something like these thread reducers/enlargers will do the job. I don't know of a source but a decent outlet like United Fasteners or similar will be able to help Screenshot_20181019-055621_Samsung%20Internet.jpg
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Measure the hole, you'll be able to tell if its 10 or 12mm. Best bet from there is to see if Melb hifi will exchange for the correct size (provided it's available). Failing that, something like these thread reducers/enlargers will do the job. I don't know of a source but a decent outlet like United Fasteners or similar will be able to help Screenshot_20181019-055621_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

Cheers Grizzly. Saw those yesterday as well - called heli something.

I have managed to find the best, although costly, solution.

Found the importer of Isoacoustics is a company called Conroy in Sydney. Sent them an email and then rang them after they replied.

Seems the problem is that Monitor Audiio use M10 threads. IsoA supply M8, M6 and 1/4. M12 is supplied with Gaia I.

IsoA however do make bespoke threads at M10 for MA. Cost $72  for 8 little threads but without them I have a world of pain.

Any other MA users out there be aware you are up for more cost. Maybe the new MA speakers may fit but when I rang the guy said there was a note on his system for MA so may apply across the board. It will cost you more!

Edited by rodders3