Sign in to follow this  
SirRedNob

Samsung MU7000 optical output woes

Hi guys,

I have a weird problem with my Samsung MU7000, specifically with the optical out and my Parasound Halo Integrated amp.

The amp is brand new, and before this I was running the TV optical out to my old Yamaha AVR, which worked flawlessly. Now the problem with the Halo is that every few seconds or so when using the TV's optical output, the sound skips/pauses (tiny tiny skip, but noticeable).

I've tried 3 optical cables and they have the same issue. The weird part is this used to work fine with my Yammy, and I have tested the Halo's optical in from other sources and that works too so I'm baffled.

Here's what works flawlessly:

TV > Optical Out > Yamaha

TV > Optical Out > Headphone DAC/AMP > Headphones

Laptop > USB out > Headphone DAC/AMP > Optical Out > Halo

And this doesn't work well at all:

TV > Optical Out > Halo

TV audio setting is PCM for digital out.

As far as I can tell the TV's optical out works fine (I've been using it for years with the Yamaha), AND the input on the Halo works fine as well.

Any ideas? I've emailed Parasound but no reply as yet.

Thanks!

This may sound crazy but the output from the tv over optical is almost certainly 48kHz.  Is there any reason the Para may not like that sample rate?...

Hey mate,

Yea I thought maybe it didn't like the sample rate, so I tested with my headphone amp outputting via optical into the Halo, it worked fine at anything between 48 - 96khz up to 24bit (Halo max 24bit 96khz over optical).

Would the TV be any lower than 48? Could that be it? I'm not sure how to check exactly what it's outputting.

The commercial standard seems to be 48k nowadays, it started with DVD players and then dtv broadcast - unlikely the mu7000 is doing anything strange in that regard.  Sorry but I’m out of ideas.  I run my 2015 Series 7 Sammy via optical into my nad c510 from its brilliant little break-out box and it’s been flawless, even when passing audio from my Sony bd player and apple tv4 conncted via hdmi.

It sounds like the amp is having trouble syncing to the signal. A similar example here with a Yamaha CD-S2100 (acting as DAC) have trouble syncing with a Yamaha NP-S303 source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4W7f6ecgHI&t=12s

It's probably a combination of a poor optical output with a very picky optical input.

You could try a HDMI to optical splitter or an optical reclocker.

I think you're right - it's just an incompatibility. As the TV isn't outputting anything particularly high res, I've just bought a cheap DAC to put in between the two and run RCA into the Amp, which works fine.

Music gets played via USB from my laptop so the current setup is fine.

i @SirRedNob,

I seem to be having a similar issue with my Samsung KU7000 tv and Audiolab M-DAC.

What DAC did you buy to solve this problem?

I had thought the optical out would be an improvement running via the M-DAC compared to my prior tv that ran direct RCA to RCA but so far my new set up is not satisfactory at all.

When I play movies or Netflix via my PS4 into the TV, I get the skipping issue.

When I try to play Netflix via the tv, I get no output to my DAC at all.

Apart from optical out, there is only HDMI out that my M-DAC does not accept. And there is no headphone jack or RCA out to circumvent my DAC altogether.

It's starting to drive me nuts. 

Cheers.

Hey mate,

It was just this cheap Fiio,

fiio taishan d03k

TV > optical > Fiio > rca > Amp

Silly question but I assume you toggled between PCM and DD output on SPDIF out?

Hi there. I think I have a similar problem.  I have a Samsung nu8000 ? And I just upgraded from the little fiio dac to an audio-gd . I only have the  optical audio out. I had issues this week with the sound stuttering like it was just dropping out every second moment. Then it's bee  fine for a while.   Today I put the tv on to live and it happened again