Wifi vs USB

Hi there,

can someone please advise on the best way to send data from a Mac to a DAC (without USB input) using Roon?

I need to decide between a USB to SPDF converter and a relatively cheap wifi streamer (Sonos?) or even Airplay. I do not have any hi res file, only redbook.

Many thanks

Guest thathifiguy

Optical cable with 3.5mm adapter. They are dual purpose analog/toslink headphone output.

Edited by thathifiguy

16 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Is distance and cables a problem? What budget do you wish to spend on this? A simple USB to SPDIF converter such as the the Gustard U12 will give you the best quality for the price.

Budget: less than 300-400 dollars

Distance is not a problem. The Gustard loos good. Thanks for the tip. I wonder how is that superior to Airplay if you dont have hi res files?

15 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

Optical cable with 3.5mm adapter. They are dual purpose analog/toslink headphone output.

can you  please clarify what you mean? I need to convert USB to SPDF or even toslink

1 minute ago, o2so said:

Budget: less than 300-400 dollars

Distance is not a problem. The Gustard loos good. Thanks for the tip. I wonder how is that superior to Airplay if you dont have hi res files?

It effectively will act as a mild decrapifier but mainly a de-jitter as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, o2so said:

can you  please clarify what you mean? I need to convert USB to SPDF or even toslink

Lots of (all?) Macs have a combo 3.5mm jack that can output digital over mini-toslink. So a mini-toslink to toslink cable (or adapter and standard optical cable) may be all you need if your dac has optical input

Eg

https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/2m-toslink-to-mini-toslink-35mm-optical-cable.html

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sakabatou said:

Lots of (all?) Macs have a combo 3.5mm jack that can output digital over mini-toslink. So a mini-toslink to toslink cable (or adapter and standard optical cable) may be all you need if your dac has optical input

Eg

https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/2m-toslink-to-mini-toslink-35mm-optical-cable.html

uh! did not know that! thank you!

• Like 1

Guest thathifiguy
1 hour ago, o2so said:

The headphone jack on the MacBook is both analog and digital toslink.

To the OP

A Mac normaly has

• headphone out - which is also Toslink(optical) as others have posted.
  • usb out
  • possibly Firewire or Thunderbolt

The cheapest and most effective way is to use Toslink, but you may want to pursue possibly better alternatives like the Gustard, Audiophilleo, Singxer in the form of usb to spdif converters. After that there is a plethora of usb cables and other stuff that you can add to the chain to improve the music further (if you wish :) ).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...