What streamer to use with Apple Music

Hi Folks,

apologies if this has been asked before, I did search through topics.

I'm looking to get a streamer that is compatible with my Apple Music subscription.  I plan to use the digital input on my Luxman SACD player, so it's just something that can stream Apple and has a Digital output. Connection via WiFi.

I've looked at the Yamaha WXC-50 but cant see if its compatible with Apple Music.

Any suggestions?

John

10 minutes ago, jdh500 said:

What about a Apple Airport express, it streams Apple Music, has optical out and can be bridged for wireless if no Ethernet connection ?

JDH

Jon

cant see a digital out on it. 

1 hour ago, scuzzii said:

Jon

cant see a digital out on it. 

The analogue out is also used as an optical out too, it just uses a slightly different connector or adaptor that you can buy at places like Jaycar, or any decent hifi shop.

https://www.cnet.com/news/using-apples-airport-express-with-a-dac-a-how-to-guide/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7474698

Its the same connection on current and earlier generations.

JDH

98C7745E-AF08-4E21-9DBB-50A8AE0E193E.png

Edited by jdh500
Added link and photo
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jdh500 said:

The analogue out is also used as an optical out too, it just uses a slightly different connector or adaptor that you can buy at places like Jaycar, or any decent hifi shop.

https://www.cnet.com/news/using-apples-airport-express-with-a-dac-a-how-to-guide/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7474698

Its the same connection on current and earlier generations.

JDH

98C7745E-AF08-4E21-9DBB-50A8AE0E193E.png

thank you Jon

Hey Scuzzman, I just heard one of these and watched the operation procedure using a tablet with the app loaded on it...seamless, absolutely seamless and a pleasure to use. I want one. Click

Have a Powernode2 which does the business with the added bonus that it's also an 80w class D amp so good for a second system if you wanted but still a streamer that handles house duties really well.

Read the review  from above, ignore the prices.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luc said:

Hey Scuzzman, I just heard one of these and watched the operation procedure using a tablet with the app loaded on it...seamless, absolutely seamless and a pleasure to use. I want one. Click

Have a Powernode2 which does the business with the added bonus that it's also an 80w class D amp so good for a second system if you wanted but still a streamer that handles house duties really well.

Read the review  from above, ignore the prices.

Hey Lee,

hope you're back in one piece mate. 

That looks impressive, but its much more than I want to pay as I will only be using it for listen before i buy - as i watch what SNA folks post in Currently Spinning and Currently Spinning Jazz.  At the moment, I just buy vinyl that is recommended.

I wouldn't be going above the bluesound Node 2 price in terms of options.

4 minutes ago, Andrews_melb said:

The bluesound node 2i comes out soon with added extras which could be worth the wait. Early november i think

that would explain the cash back offer for current range til end of Oct.  Thanks for the heads up

If SQ is not more important than $$$ then $450-ish will get you a brand new Sonos Connect. It won't match a Cullen Modded one or a Bluesound Node 2, but half the price.

1 of the great features of the Sonos is that when you search for an artist/track/album, it searches EVERY music source it can see at once; Tidal, Apple Music, Spotify AND your own music library. Others I've used you need to search within the specific source individually. Might not sound like much but if you are primarily using for music discovery or background music, it's well worth it as I've found lots of new Australian music for example is not on Tidal but is on Spotify.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PKay said:

Sonos doesn't do hires as a server so the Blu Node 2 may be better for future proofing.

Pfft, this is a red herring IMHO as the OP only wants it for Apple Music to discover content, and the Node is still twice the price. The vast majority of people can't reliably tell the difference between a 128kbs MP3 and CD quality anyway... But very few are willing to admit that are they?

On 17/10/2018 at 4:28 AM, scuzzii said:

that would explain the cash back offer for current range til end of Oct.  Thanks for the heads up

I recently purchased a Bluesound Node2... not very iTunes friendly unless you want to use the bluetooth mode.  Upon registering my cashback claim, I learnt of the soon to be released Node2i ?

Hold out and wait for the Node2i if you can... the new Airplay 2 support and claimed improved SQ should be a great option for you!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, crane said:

I recently purchased a Bluesound Node2... not very iTunes friendly unless you want to use the bluetooth mode.  Upon registering my cashback claim, I learnt of the soon to be released Node2i ?

Hold out and wait for the Node2i if you can... the new Airplay 2 support and claimed improved SQ should be a great option for you!

Other than Airplay which they have improved, how are they improving SQ?  I have a Dac so I am interested in the streaming/server (nas) connectivity.