Back to vynal. Purchase advice please

Looking to purchase a tt and not sure which way to go.

I was keen on a Music Hall mmf 1.5. Inbuilt pre is a bonus as not sure how I will be connecting yet. Like the switchable speed but don't like the std cart.

Other option is a second hand project debut carbon with a phono box e included. Has very few hours and near new. Don't like the lift platter to change speed but cart is better. Saving 200.

I got good speakers running a yamaha older av. I could setup a technics new class a amp 65wx2 and connect tt to it directly. Otherwise i need a preamp for the yammy.

Tt will be living with theatre setup. Not ideal i know. Positioning it may be an issue.

Thoughts?

Edited by SGS

1 hour ago, SGS said:

Looking to purchase a tt and not sure which way to go.

I was keen on a Music Hall mmf 1.5. Inbuilt pre is a bonus as not sure how I will be connecting yet. Like the switchable speed but don't like the std cart.

Other option is a second hand project debut carbon with a phono box e included. Has very few hours and near new. Don't like the lift platter to change speed but cart is better. Saving 200.

I got good speakers running a yamaha older av. I could setup a technics new class a amp 65wx2 and connect tt to it directly. Otherwise i need a preamp for the yammy.

Tt will be living with theatre setup. Not ideal i know. Positioning it may be an issue.

Thoughts?

Save the $200 and put it into records.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SGS said:

Decision made. Settled on a Music Hall 1.3 for $395 brand new.

No stock yet so waiting.

Looks like a great starter TT - might be a bit lacklustre on the sound quality front though?  I predict you'll be upgrading before you know it!

Edited by mrbrown66
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mrbrown66 said:

Looks like a great starter TT - might be a bit lacklustre on the sound quality front though? 

It will be used with an AV receiver and some older speakers so I would think that it is well suited.

The whole point being, that this is a starter system so the OP can relax and enjoy some tunes before getting on the hamster wheel.

• Like 5

Not planning on running the hamster wheel yet. I had a budget and for the money this will be a fine addition.

Yes av reciever is my weak point atm. It's an older yamaha rxv 650. Works perfectly well for what it is. I do plan on an upgrade to something with Atmos. Looking at Aventage 2080.

I may in the meantime use the 650 preouts to a vintage Technics class A amp rated at 60w x2 which may give a nice improvement. Had it since new some 30 years ago.

Speakers will always be what I have now. Energy RC50 love them. I always use just 2 channel and sometimes pure direct.

Edited by SGS
  • Like 1

Today I picked up the 1.3.

Meticulously followed the instructions to setup. However I did lower the tone arm weight. Rec for this stylus is 3g I have it set to 2.5g. 3g seems too heavy.

Running through the inbuilt preamp I played my first record in 30 years.

Whilst everything ran smoothly one blaringly obvious thing was the volume. Less tha half of another input eg CD.

I then got out my old DJ mixer and connected tt with phono to it. Level was the same as before. Noticed VU nedels very low as well around -15 at average.

Normally I listen to CDs between ref -8 to -18. Trying to get anything near that level I have to go + on the amp which then starts to get a hum.

Thoughts?

First record which was a test seems to have a low level.

What I really wanted to listen to has a better level off the vinyl so much improved. Though still want to loose higher volume hum but that may be a placement issue.

Right now enjoying

Pseudo Echo Autumnal Park.

Edited by SGS
  • Like 1

Don't worry.  You got it a bit sorted while i typed . Low volume vynal for some reason. Phono will usually have a lower output than digital.  hum is coming from TT. Check its earthed enough.

Edited by eman

What did you set the PHONO/LINE switch on the back of the Music Hall TT?

Looking at your Yamaha rxv 650 it does not have a dedicated Phono input, so you you will have to set the  switch to phono on the Music Hall.

You may have to connect the earth lead to the chassis of the Yamaha somehow to help with the hum. One of the screws on the case maybe. Might have to remove the screw and gently scratch of sand paper a bit of the paint away around the screw hole, so it makes a good connection with the earth connector.

Just keep the volume low when first setting the switch to phono and slowly raise it just as a precaution first time.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

Had it on line when straight to amp and phono to mixer with earth lead connected which is how it still is so I can watch the levels via mixer.

Think first record was just low levels.

ATM the turntable is sitting on sub (switched off) next to speaker. Not ideal I know. Might have to get a rack for it and locate elsewhere. 

Coming up soon Hawkwind