Headphone Options After LCD2C

Hi Folks,

After some suggestions from anyone involved in the head-fi game. I currently have an Audiolab M-DAC feeding a pair of LCD-2C and have very recently got my hands on some Alessandro MS2 (Slightly altered Grado's). I initially spent some time at Minidisc sampling headphones and settled on the LCD-2C because they just spoke to me with several of my audition songs. I have enjoyed every moment with the LCD-2C but as this hobby seems to have a habit of doing, I have the itch to move on. Since having the Alessandro's, I have found that they manage to convey a lot more of a natural, enjoyable, and more energetic tone with guitars - the LCD-2C seem to set these ranges slightly to the rear. I find the LCD-2C to be the better headphone with a decent amount of my listening which involves any kind of electronic, pop, or rap, and they are clearly the more technically capable headphone. However the Alessandro MS2 seem better when it comes to enjoying the other half of my listening which is alternative, rock, or metal due to the sound of the guitars and drums aside from kick bass.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any recommendations as to a headphone that might walk the fine line that allows me to enjoy all my music equally? I settled on the LCD-2C before I tried any other planars, aside from the Aeon Flow Opens which sounded a bit too warm and fuzzy for my tastes. I also haven't tried any of the higher end Grado's, or spent time with any of the really higher end headphones as my budget at the time maxed at the $1k mark.

Anybody have any headphone recommendations that I should shortlist for when I take the time to head into Sydney and sit down at Minidisc? Also open to Amp / Headphone pairings that might be up my alley as I'm in a position where I can start to pick and choose from some higher end gear.

Cheers!

Good suggestion (above), given the styles of music you like.

The PS500s are a little less 'natural' sounding than your Alessandros, but have a cleaner, more studio-friendly presentation, suited to balanced EQ'd electric bass, splashy cymbals etc. Compared to the Alessandros, the PS500s deliver a crisper, tighter sound suited to non-acoustic music. They still have that very clear midrange that Grado-heads like so much - great for guitars and the like, but they also do electro and hip-hop well due to their adept bass - which is slightly elevated. And, like most Grados, the drivers are very quick to render sound-waves, so the timing and rhythm of music sounds life-like and gets the toes tapping. 

But I'm of the firm opinion that no one headphone can do all genres well. I sort of feel that way about speakers too. Of course, head-fi is a cheaper hobby so it's perfectly realistic to have several headphones in a system. 

(I'm a self-confessed Grado-head myself, having tried the vast majority of other brands at all price-points. One Grado with aluminium cups, and another with wooden cups, will cater for most musical genres satisfactorily).

Edited by was_a

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely audition PS500's as it sounds like they might be right up my alley. 

I hadn't tried LCD-X's as at the time the LCD-2C were at the peak of my budget. I'll add them to the list!