Does audiophile power cord, power conditioner or isolation transformer make a difference?

7 minutes ago, shogo33 said:

OMG i got fleeced.. i paid $5 for mine at Officeworks..

That's a great price.

Had to buy a 3 m length recently... $18 if memory serves!!!!

$15 for a 2 meter cable at Officeworks in WA: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-male-3-pin-ac-to-female-iec-c13-power-cable-2m-copc3p02

I can get 1.2 m lengths for just under $6 each. But have to buy 5, and that means $30.

What a bloody ripoff but I can't think of anywhere else to buy an IEC cable on short notice.

Guess the prices are so high because they don't move a lot of these cables (as almost every product you buy bundles with one), hence the exhorbitant price.

4 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Andy,

the Jotuheim is a Preamp Made by Schiit.  If you look at @Sir Sanders Zingmore  link there is a serious grounding issue on the Schiit products as they roll off the production line.   The directors are well aware of this issue that site has outline.   It’s reported at Headfi Forum where Schiit sponsors and are active in.   In fact @Sir Sanders Zingmore  did start a thread here but I can’t  seem to find it, it’s possible removed for legal reasons.   Its reported around the globe that this Preamp has serious hum issue due to the panels not being grounded and electrical interference is going to effect any device especially ones that deal with low level signals like a Preamp if you do not ground the metal casing it resides in.   Due to the response of Schiit on this matter, that site is still reporting that even today,  there products are still rolling of the production line with this grounding issue, so what they are relying on is that the thickness and quality of paint will protect from possible faults that may cause electrocution.   

2ndly a suggestion of placing filters on light switches are best left to license electricians.    Also,  i would have 2nd thoughts if it was me in sending a  “hash filter”  if it’s diy,  that’s not compliant to someone you do not know.  He is either way, best to get advise and help from a licence electrician to deal with these matters.  In regards to the grounding of the Preamp the OP is best to returned that to the point of purchase and have it looked at.  No electrical grounding on metal frames for devices that are not double insulated is a potential lethal issue.  This has to be addressed.

Thats pretty Schiit that its a production fault thats totally being ignored..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

No doubt about it. A similar situation with 'valve rolling'. I get that. I understand the desire for consumers to have some control over their systems. It's the same in other parts of life. One of my mates is a pretty decent amateur mechanic. He can strip down and re-build an engine very well. Yet, despite his knowledge, he insists that all cars he owns should be fitted with third party fuel consumption improvement devices. I've seen one of the devices, read the propaganda and spoken to automotive engineers about it. Naturally, they don't work. Yet my mate insists on spending several hundred Dollars per car (he owns three modern cars), because he thinks they make a difference.

HiClone?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Bingo!

They have been flogging that thing for 20 years or more. I'm surprised they haven't been taken to court. I think its uselessness is the thing that actually protects them because it is actually impossible to test its efficiency in day to day driving and anyone who buys one would be too embarrassed to admit it does **** all. ?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, crisis said:

They have been flogging that thing for 20 years or more. I'm surprised they haven't been taken to court. I think its uselessness is the thing that actually protects them because it is actually impossible to test its efficiency in day to day driving and anyone who buys one would be too embarrassed to admit it does **** all. ?

Same as fancy mains power leads. My mate has actually fitted them to all his cars and his daughter's car. He passionately believes that the thing works. He has encouraged me to fit them to my cars and I am certain he tells others to do likewise. Trouble is, he knows a lot about cars and lots of people will listen to what he says. Same deal with those who claim fancy mains leads do anything. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Same as fancy mains power leads. My mate has actually fitted them to all his cars and his daughter's car. He passionately believes that the thing works. He has encouraged me to fit them to my cars and I am certain he tells others to do likewise. Trouble is, he knows a lot about cars and lots of people will listen to what he says. Same deal with those who claim fancy mains leads do anything. 

The way they explain its function actually sounds plausible but its unlikely the air will reach the area where that effect will make a difference. The main problem is that its presence acts as a restriction to air flow in the first place. Me and my mates (two of whom are automotive lecturers) have laughed at this thing for ages.

6 minutes ago, DamonsHIFI said:

All cables make a difference including the highly debated power cables

Of course they do.

Everything does make difference.

Just like washing and polishing your car before every drive will surely reduce your fuel consumption due to somewhat reduced drag.

And for smoother ride one could pick all the stones out from tyres' treads because they surely cause wheels to lose their balance to some extent.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rockeater said:

Just like washing and polishing your car before every drive will surely reduce your fuel consumption due to somewhat reduced drag.

Depends on the shape of your car, how you polish and how you drive, that's increasingly an actual, measurable difference.

OP, call a sparkie.

Cables make a difference though honestly they're small differences unless you're replacing with a s**t cable, then it's a large difference. A bunch of audiophile cables are actual, rolled-in-gold s**t. 

That bit @Zaphod Beeblebrox keeps banging on about - that the difference can't actually be appreciated reliably - is total BS. A more relevant truth is that such testing usually reveals 'audiophile' gear to be, well, not so good. I've not had anything best a cable that came with a server-class PC that wasn't $2.50 but wasn't much over $10 either and probably has $1 of parts in it. The testing process is effing laborious to the point that the next time someone asks me to evaluate a cable it'd better come with a choir of trusted angels singing its praises. The effort is generally not worth it. 

They all have resistance, inductance, capacitance and EMI sensitivity to varying degrees and it'll all effect your system to varying degrees. To say that's not true is to completely ignore science. To say that these effects are significant is also to completely ignore science unless what you have is particularly poor or overly-sensitive to begin with, and getting the basics within 99.95% of IEC-terminated cable potential is seriously not more than a $10 problem unless you want something assembled by a sparkie or otherwise licensed trade, at which point you're up for wholesale costs in plugs/sockets/wire and 10+ minutes to minimum billing of a trade that charges $80+/hr to assemble/test/tag. This is still not more than $100 if you paid retail on everything or $150 for someone that did all this for you at limited quantity and is charging markup for rent and the other niceties associated with running a company. 

Want to improve it? Hard wire it and bathe in the gory glory of the same sooth sayers talking up audiophile fuses. Same arguments apply.

This stuff about 'if your stuff is properly designed' is also BS. Some gear is better regulated, some not so by design. Some people like their AC to be as best possible on the way in (including much of the energy industry), some design their stuff to withstand broad performance differences. Same difference in the end. Your pre is in the second group, and a cable is not going to do a thing unless you swap with something inherently poor. 

Isolation transformers do a real job again depending on what your kit is and what you can stand in your home, depending how your transformer is wired. They're used in studio environments for real reasons. Again, beware foolery - had a friend quoted for custom transformers in a balanced isolation kit and a separate earth... there are people committing some big no-no's out there. 

Just call a sparkie - what's happening is a symptom of a number of possible bigger problems, some of which have potential safety issues associated.

17 hours ago, DamonsHIFI said:

All cables make a difference including the highly debated power cables but hey that’s just my opinion.

This is (one of) the word(s) in that sentence that is the essence of the subjectivity of the argument. Every "difference" is not necessarily an "improvement".

33 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Depends on the shape of your car, how you polish and how you drive, that's increasingly an actual, measurable difference.

OP, call a sparkie.

Cables make a difference though honestly they're small differences unless you're replacing with a s**t cable, then it's a large difference. A bunch of audiophile cables are actual, rolled-in-gold s**t. 

That bit @Zaphod Beeblebrox keeps banging on about - that the difference can't actually be appreciated reliably - is total BS. A more relevant truth is that such testing usually reveals 'audiophile' gear to be, well, not so good. I've not had anything best a cable that came with a server-class PC that wasn't $2.50 but wasn't much over $10 either and probably has $1 of parts in it. The testing process is effing laborious to the point that the next time someone asks me to evaluate a cable it'd better come with a choir of trusted angels singing its praises. The effort is generally not worth it. 

They all have resistance, inductance, capacitance and EMI sensitivity to varying degrees and it'll all effect your system to varying degrees. To say that's not true is to completely ignore science. To say that these effects are significant is also to completely ignore science unless what you have is particularly poor or overly-sensitive to begin with, and getting the basics within 99.95% of IEC-terminated cable potential is seriously not more than a $10 problem unless you want something assembled by a sparkie or otherwise licensed trade, at which point you're up for wholesale costs in plugs/sockets/wire and 10+ minutes to minimum billing of a trade that charges $80+/hr to assemble/test/tag. This is still not more than $100 if you paid retail on everything or $150 for someone that did all this for you at limited quantity and is charging markup for rent and the other niceties associated with running a company. 

Want to improve it? Hard wire it and bathe in the gory glory of the same sooth sayers talking up audiophile fuses. Same arguments apply.

This stuff about 'if your stuff is properly designed' is also BS. Some gear is better regulated, some not so by design. Some people like their AC to be as best possible on the way in (including much of the energy industry), some design their stuff to withstand broad performance differences. Same difference in the end. Your pre is in the second group, and a cable is not going to do a thing unless you swap with something inherently poor. 

Isolation transformers do a real job again depending on what your kit is and what you can stand in your home, depending how your transformer is wired. They're used in studio environments for real reasons. Again, beware foolery - had a friend quoted for custom transformers in a balanced isolation kit and a separate earth... there are people committing some big no-no's out there. 

Just call a sparkie - what's happening is a symptom of a number of possible bigger problems, some of which have potential safety issues associated.

?

2 hours ago, Disco Jay said:

With power cables, this is spot on.

Seems reasonable to me.  I wouldn't have thought there would be any difference between properly designed cables.  If someone wants to spend the money on them then that is ok with me - it is their money ?

I hear differences between every power cord, even generic ones with different gauges, and I've tried MANY. In my opinion the 'exotic' ones actually degrade the sound quality; I find this easy to hear with acoustic music, where the tonality of instruments and voices sound unnatural. But with any type of music, most fancy cords constrict harmonics and elevate the upper midrange and treble - an effect considered favourable by many listeners. Mistakenly so, in my opinion. Of my collection of fancy cords I've sold all but one - which is hooked up to my plasma TV! 

On 23/10/2018 at 7:20 AM, was_a said:

I hear differences between every power cord, even generic ones with different gauges, and I've tried MANY. In my opinion the 'exotic' ones actually degrade the sound quality; I find this easy to hear with acoustic music, where the tonality of instruments and voices sound unnatural. But with any type of music, most fancy cords constrict harmonics and elevate the upper midrange and treble - an effect considered favourable by many listeners. Mistakenly so, in my opinion. Of my collection of fancy cords I've sold all but one - which is hooked up to my plasma TV! 

I agree with this.

In the past i visited a high end room tuned for detail with cabling and the result was a quite bad.  Given the cost, very bad.

What difference have you found with the use of a hifi power cord with your tv ?

With the plasma TV it accentuates the contrast between whites and blacks, and makes the image sharper. Sort of makes the picture more like that of an LCD TV? 

I just hooked it up to the TV for no reason, really, I was just playing around. (Too old for Lego...). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, was_a said:

With the plasma TV it accentuates the contrast between whites and blacks, and makes the image sharper. Sort of makes the picture more like that of an LCD TV? 

I just hooked it up to the TV for no reason, really, I was just playing around. (Too old for Lego...). 

nahh come on there can't possibly be a difference in terms of picture quality or even contrast, sounds like placebo to me. If there is a difference ill need colorimeter readings to believe it lol

PS sorry, no harm intended but i couldn't help but say something

• Like 2

For me a PS audio Regen and then a Balanced Isolation transformer made a great and welcome improvement to my system. Run everything off them except the 2CH power amp, which is straight to the wall.

Not sure about power cables but do use shielded ones through out anyway.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Stephen0804 said:

nahh come on there can't possibly be a difference in terms of picture quality or even contrast, sounds like placebo to me. If there is a difference ill need colorimeter readings to believe it lol

I listen to Placebo - cool band.?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, was_a said:

Doubt it....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stephen0804 said:

Same story with audio... but that doesn't stop people insisting black and white (heh) they see and hear differences.

• Like 2