Hi everyone,

My Dac, unfortunately, only works with UPnP, so Roon is not an option. My music is on a QNAP NAS and I'm using Qmusic from desktop/tablet/mobile to play my music.

I would LOVE to know how people with large music libraries are organising their setup.

Unlike Roon, which makes it relatively easy to manage 3000+ albums, the various UPnP apps I have tried, including those from QNAP, are hopeless.

It takes forever to scroll through the albums - and on the phone, it always starts from 'A', even if the last album you played was 'Waterworld'.

And if you use folder view, it's 'ok' - but of course you need to know where you're headed for - it's not a 'browsing' experience.

Has anyone worked out a good way to set things up so you can browse the library...in an efficient way?

Thank you

P

Minimserver directly installed on your Qnap, there should be an app in the qnap store if not install manualy from minimserver page, follow their instructions...

I like minimserver as it just sits there streaming and my ‘impression’ is that it works better than JRiver.

Having said that I am revisiting JRiver because of the other ways ‘video’ you could use it. BUT for pure audio usage there is an off switch in JR to kill everything but audio and it wouldn’t be there unless someone had noticed something.

Thank you.  I will  look at minimserver. Unfortunately JRiver is no longer available/supported for Qnap (or Synology) NAS boxes. Though it is the app recommended by Ayon for the DAC. 

21 hours ago, kukynas said:

Minimserver directly installed on your Qnap, there should be an app in the qnap store if not install manualy from minimserver page, follow their instructions...

Hi - which app (Control Point)  do you use to manage minimWatch?

Hi, you don’t need minimwatch to be able to use minimserver unless you need to use specific setting or check background jobs, control app depended on control device os, I’m using Lumin app on apple tablet unfortunately it’s only available on iOS devices but you can use any UPNP app available, for open home protocol used by Lumin app you need additional app running on your Qnap called bubbleupnp, if you need more info how to set it up let me know...

@peterears1 I have used Qnap and use minimserver ,Bubbleupnpserver and Kazoo.

Bubbleupnp finds your dac and set it as openhome  for Kazoo to find and select miniserver to play on  phone ,pad.

I have found I have better success with a celeron Nuc or better using the same apps works perfectly never been happy with Nas to slow and flaky.

Can provide more details if needed.

Peter

On 14/10/2018 at 9:07 AM, gonefishing999 said:

@peterears1 I have used Qnap and use minimserver ,Bubbleupnpserver and Kazoo.

Bubbleupnp finds your dac and set it as openhome  for Kazoo to find and select miniserver to play on  phone ,pad.

I have found I have better success with a celeron Nuc or better using the same apps works perfectly never been happy with Nas to slow and flaky.

Can provide more details if needed.

Peter

Hi and thank you so much @gonefishing999 and @kukynas    I have managed to get Bubbleupnp and Minimserver installed on the Qnap, and the Lumin app working on my phone. (I'm still working on getting Kazoo running.) And I am really happy that in Lumin, I finally have the means to browse my library that is as easy as Roon. (Even if it's not quite as elegant. :) ) It's a MASSIVE step forward. Thank you so much. Ayon is adamant that the best SQ on the DAC is to be obtained via ethernet, so I really wanted to get this setup working, so I could start listening properly. But I do have one lingering question. Using the Lumin App with a non Lumin player requires this OpenHome renderer (as indeed does Roon, if you're using a Mac as the endpoint). But I can't get my head around what the OpenHome renderer is actually doing. And whether it is something that theoretically (or really) is likely to impact sound quality because it's 

'messing' with the audio files. Are you able to explain of offer a POV? Thank you again. P

OpenHome is just communication protocol similar to UPNP/DLNA, no need to worry about messing with your files, but to be able to use Lumin app with your non Lumin hardware you need an emulator such as bubbleupnp to basically trick your Lumin app to see your Ayon renderer (network player or end point) as Lumin renderer, that's pretty much it ;) 

Some great info on this thread - Many Thanks for all the comments.

On 13/10/2018 at 12:20 AM, peterears1 said:

I would LOVE to know how people with large music libraries are organising their setup.

I've struggled with this for literally decades (CD 'free' since 98, and video disc free since 2006)... and I have never found something which ticks all boxes.

I have 'settled' on the following.

Multiple regular automatic backups.   This way you can feel safe(r) running an automatic tagger over parts of your collection without fear that you will ruin everything.

A "primary" listening library - and then an "archive" library.   There is only ever one copy of an album, and usually no singles, etc. in the primary library... and I try and be fairly brutal with what I allow to go in there.   It's the music collection which the family use ... so things like the 17 different copies of DSOTM ... and obscure genres....  live in the 'archives'

Tagging with MusicBrainz Picard (for all it's quirks).   I use different matching setting for the primary library, or the archive.   In the primary library, I'm more concerned about completeness and automation - I don't much care if tags say it is the USA CD rerelease, when really it is the Euro first press.    In the archive, I can go to town if I want with that.

Folders = Just simple artist\album

Keep all the extra files in the album folder  (many players are starting to use them)

As for how you browser the library.  This is down to the player.   I hop between lots of software - I've been iTunes, Roon, MPD, Kodi, Plex, and Jriver at various stages... and also other less "library" focussed players like VLC, play, and audirvana

All have their own "mobile device" remote/browser....  and all have their pros/cons/quirks.

@peterears1 Have you worked out Kazoo yet?

You need to install Kazoo on Pad run app does it find Ayon renderer .

If it finds Ayon on the top left there are 4 line horizontal from that select Minimserver I use folder view.

Find a song tap 3 vetical dots right side and select play now , next or later , so you can cue up a list of songs.

Peter

Hi and thank you for great help here. I have got Lumin app working again. I had to restart Bubbleupnp on the qnap nas. Re. Kazoo.. I have got as far as installing it on my phone but have not yet managed to get it to 'see' the Dac. I will try again tonight. Best. P

Brilliant. Tonight I had the Lumin,  Linn and Ayon apps all working. The Lumin is my pref on my phone as it gives three columns of album covers vs Linn 2 and Ayon 1. It is also the fastest to populate the album covers as you scroll. That said, the Linn looks nicer...and I think the Ayon sounds better....but I need more time for a proper listen! Thank you again for all your help getting me set up and with more to think about. P

2 hours ago, peterears1 said:

Brilliant. Tonight I had the Lumin,  Linn and Ayon apps all working. The Lumin is my pref on my phone as it gives three columns of album covers vs Linn 2 and Ayon 1. It is also the fastest to populate the album covers as you scroll. That said, the Linn looks nicer...and I think the Ayon sounds better....but I need more time for a proper listen! Thank you again for all your help getting me set up and with more to think about. P

now, can you imagine you can have as much columns as your eyes allow? just use your 2 fingers and zoom in/out on your album cover section 😁

5 hours ago, gonefishing999 said:

Find a song tap 3 vetical dots right side and select play now , next or later , so you can cue up a list of songs.

yup, same function as Lumin, I think there is even 1 more extra (need to check when I'm back home), Lumin also allowing saving of different playlists under different name even if I never used it, I think Kazoo should have it as well... 

9 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

As for how you browser the library.  This is down to the player.   I hop between lots of software - I've been iTunes, Roon, MPD, Kodi, Plex, and Jriver at various stages... and also other less "library" focussed players like VLC, play, and audirvana

All have their own "mobile device" remote/browser....  and all have their pros/cons/quirks.

time to check out Lumin/Kazoo app if you find the time Dave 😉

in those years of using Lumin I haven't found better app for browsing library and playing music, last week I've been dragged into Tidal family subscription so I might finally use it even more with its Tidal integration 🙂