sows ears

Power amp connection query

Is it possible/safe to connect a DAC output straight to a power amp, in this case a Yamaha M-45 with input level controls?

Just wondering.

thanks, Ian

Quite safe, turn the input levels right down to start with and screw clockwise to taste. 

thanks for the reply PicoWattson.

Pretty much what I had been thinking but it is not my amp and was after some reinforcement before making the move.

The old beast does Class A when running under 10 watts output and I have very efficient speakers, so I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.

regards, Ian

The M45 will have good quality passive input volume controls, probably Alps, you will hear your dac as it sounds, with no active preamp colouration's or distortions.

Your Denafrips Pontus will have no problem with it's 600ohm output impedance and 2.2v output.  As your M45 only needs 1.1v into it for it's full 125wrms output before clipping 

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

On 13/10/2018 at 9:16 AM, georgehifi said:

The M45 will have good quality passive input volume controls, probably Alps, you will hear your dac as it sounds, with no active preamp colouration's or distortions.

So a volume control has no effect on the sound, George?  :lol:  (Apart from reducing/increasing it, that is!)

Get real - every volume control degrades the sound ... the issue is ... which brand of volume control degrades the SQ the least.

Andy

8 minutes ago, andyr said:

So a volume control has no effect on the sound, George?  :lol:  (Apart from reducing/increasing it, that is!)

Get real - every volume control degrades the sound ... the issue is ... which brand of volume control degrades the SQ the least.

Andy

Now if you have tried @georgehifi  lightspeed attenuators......:thumb:

it wipes the floor on any prehistorical mechanical volume pots, including resistor ladder switching types....

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

Now if you have tried @georgehifi  lightspeed attenuators......:thumb:

it wipes the floor on any prehistorical mechanical volume pots, including resistor ladder switching types....

Agreed. I have the lightspeed and I am very impressed. 

15 hours ago, andyr said:

So a volume control has no effect on the sound, George?

Nothing is better at dynamics and transparency and being true to the source than going direct if you can. 

The next best to going direct is "oppositely opposed variable resistances of a single series and a single shunt resistor, in a passive  preamp, this lets the source see a far more constant load, and then to go one further, also have no contacts from input to output in the signal path. 😉  Anything else will have more colourations and more distortions.

But hey! some like to colour their sound, because maybe they don't like sound of their source. Then active preamps can put a band-aid fix on that.

All active preamps sound different, we all say it. And it's always been said, the perfect preamp should sound like the "fabled"  "straight piece of wire", guess what?? if they did, they'd sound like going direct!!!!.🤣

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi