HDMI cables for Sony VPL VW 760

Hi 

Am looking at advice for the HDMI cables for this projector - is it worthwhile opening the dollars and getting the Wireworld Platinum? Should I wait and see if any new HDMI 2.1 cables come out? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, baz72 said:

Am looking at advice for the HDMI cables for this projector - is it worthwhile opening the dollars and getting the Wireworld Platinum? Should I wait and see if any new HDMI 2.1 cables come out? 

I can say you don't need to spend that sort of money for 18gbps baz . I have got 30 ' of wireworld chroma 6 passing uhd 60p to my pana :) As mentioned you cant go wrong with cables labelled premium certified up to a certain distance . How long is the run is the important question ? Ruipro fibre optic is top draw for longer lengths .

You will only need hdmi 2.1 cables if you require certain features some of which may be handled by the current hdmi 2.0a/b system . If you are not a gamer there is little utility atm . Heres a read ;  https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

bear in mind it is a year or more away and will require new sources and avr etc passthroughs..only top end devices will get these to start and things like resolution and frame rate differences are years if ever away..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baz72 said:

Hi 

Thanks

it really comes down to length...

if 10m or under something like office works comsol might find is fine. they have good return no questions asked, so any bothers can just take back. if its only 2m just about anything will work. 2-6m can get premium certified cables unfortunately they stop shy of 10m ie 30ft...

over 10 m you are going to have to invest in something like the ruipro fibre its expensive but is literally only thing will work

hdmi 2.1 is still a while off. and cables that fully support the ultra high speed it can require  only come in VERY short lengths right now. be a long while I suspect before we get cables. on other hand I dont know if we will get projectors that will be hdmi 2.1 chipset machines. could be quite a long while before we get those too...

• Like 1

it really comes down to length...

if 10m or under something like office works comsol might find is fine. they have good return no questions asked, so any bothers can just take back. if its only 2m just about anything will work. 2-6m can get premium certified cables unfortunately they stop shy of 10m ie 30ft...

over 10 m you are going to have to invest in something like the ruipro fibre its expensive but is literally only thing will work

hdmi 2.1 is still a while off. and cables that fully support the ultra high speed it can require  only come in VERY short lengths right now. be a long while I suspect before we get cables. on other hand I dont know if we will get projectors that will be hdmi 2.1 chipset machines. could be quite a long while before we get those too...
The Hdmi 2.1 chipset will be the 2019/2020 release of projectors I believe.

7 hours ago, baz72 said:

Hi 

Thanks

Are you running the disc [I assume] player through a HT amp?

If so, it will be decided by the HT amp's HDMI spec's/ ability/pass through, not the cable.

8 hours ago, baz72 said:

Hi 

Thanks

I use fibre optic - I have both Mono Price and Ruipro  fibre optic cables going to my 760.  They give a  better picture  on all material ( not just 4K) than conventional cables ( I use 10M  &12M lengths) and they reduce the HDMI handshake time too. Superb cables.

With HDMI 2.1  standard, I doubt you will need  a 2.1 cable until  you had the equipment and source material that can use it. That could be a while yet.

13 hours ago, baz72 said:

Should I wait and see if any new HDMI 2.1 cables come out?

Probably.    If you want to use a combination of 4K, HDR, high bit depth or high frame rate (which yours seems to support all of).

High speed cables (cat 2) were originally designed for 10Gbps .... and certifying them to 18gbps (premium certified) has been hard over any significant distance.    Cat 3 (Ultra high speed) cables are designed to be faster, and lower EMI.... and are likely to work much better for ~4K+features at typical-long distances.

Although watch out for cables (zillion of them) incorrectly using the words "ultra high speed" in their product or marketing names - which are actually just high speed (cat 2, 10Gbps) cables purported (but non-certified) to be able to reach 18Gbps.   If they were certified they would be "premium high speed".

Edited by davewantsmoore

As far as I know there are no HDMI cables to support V2.1 yet, but the manufacturers are working on them. Will know more when I return from the current massive Electronics Trade show in Hong Kong.

To be clear, HDMI 2.1 spec is designed to provide for bandwidths of up to 48 GBS to cater for  8K video in the future.    The spec for 4K is HDMI 2.0  which must have a bandwidth of no less than 18 gbs.  If you want the best from  such a high calibre projector like the 760ES in the meantime , you need to get the best cable that will do the job now.   

I have attached a cable test done a little while ago to test HDMI  performance  to see which cables  do and don't meet the  18 gbs bandwidth test.    Decent fibre optic cables like Ruipro and Mono price pass with flying colours, and they have the benefit of superior video performance and reduced HDMI handshake time too.

HDMI CABLES PERFORMANCE EVALUATION & TESTING REPORT #1 ~ 50FT 15M+ LENGTH CABLES v3 SML.pdf

I've ordered a 15m Kordz PRS3 Active Optical Cable (AOC) HDMI Cable (http://www.kordz.com/prs3-active-optic-cable-aoc) for my projector, which is HDMI 2.0 spec and passes 18Gbps. To be honest the Ruipro optical HDMI cable (and Monoprice) is probably cheaper than the Kordz HDMI cable, but Kordz is an Aussie company and being a local business I wanted to support them (they started in Mornington!!).

If you're keen to future-proof by getting a long run HDMI 2.1 spec cable you could always get the Celerity Technologies Universal Fibre Optic HDMI system which will be reportedly upgradeable to HDMI 2.1 in the future. Probably looking at big dollars for it though... 

http://www.celeritytek.com/product-ufo.html 

http://www.celeritytek.com/documents/CT_UFO-HDMI_preview.pdf

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Davo1972 said:

If you're keen to future-proof by getting a long run HDMI 2.1 spec cable you could always get the Celerity Technologies Universal Fibre Optic HDMI system which will be reportedly upgradeable to HDMI 2.1 in the future. Probably looking at big dollars for it though... 

http://www.celeritytek.com/product-ufo.html 

Just be careful how you interface it as Dave Vaughn noted :cool:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ultra-hd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-round-2-which-cables-can-actually-pass-hdmi-20-page-2

7 hours ago, EZYHD said:

Ive not seen any period until recently, long ones 10m+ no.

the only ultra high speed cable not to be confused by "uhd"  I am aware off is the Belkin and only seen it in 2m thats it. not really much use for projectors...

23 minutes ago, :) al said:

the only ultra high speed cable not to be confused by "uhd"  I am aware off is the Belkin and only seen it in 2m thats it. not really much use for projectors...

After some digging found Alibaba has supplies for OEM;s Al :) Getting better with 5m listed...

https://snow-wolf.en.alibaba.com/product/60774080772-806827776/Latest_Standard_Ultra_High_Speed_HDMI_4K120Hz_8K60Hz_48Gbps_Version_2_1_HDMI_Cable.html?spm=a2700.icbuShop.prewdfa4cf.49.6d444c51ZQK7BP

Interesting HDMI cable version (V2.1), equipment has HDMI versions.

In coming months there will be a plethora of HDMI cables that comply with V2.1 equipment standards, yet it will take a long time for this version to be fully implemented.

1 hour ago, EZYHD said:

In coming months there will be a plethora of HDMI cables that comply with V2.1 equipment standards, yet it will take a long time for this version to be fully implemented.

It all becomes understandable they don't like specific numbers Keith when some 2.1 features are compatible with 2.0a like E-ARC depending on how the silicon is programmed . As for 8k throughput ; when do the cameras come to even start doing those dci's :whistle: I can see gamers appreciating the new features though and those who want things like quicker hdmi switching ; just as long as they can wait for 2.1 avr's etc ..

I might have misinterpreted this... but there is no such thing as a 2.1 HDMI cable.

There are 3 cables. Standard, high-speed, and ultra high-speed.

You can get those versions with and without Ethernet, and there is a “premium certified” high-speed (verifies it can carry 18Gbps)

Yes never been HDMI versions no one has told the Chinese manufacturers yet.

Not many are HDMI cables are certified guess due to fees required to do so, but many work Ok.

And 8k and 2.1 most wont give a hoot about it IMO. The NBN in OZ is variable and doubt my eyes will ever see any difference and 2.1 will suit gamers.