Best AV Receiver for my home theater

Hey all,

I am looking to upgrade my AV receiver. Currently, I have a Yamaha RXV3900, Rotel 5 channel power amp, JVC HD550, Sub 1, and an old top of the line Panasonic Blu-Ray player, cannot remember which one. Looking at a new player as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations? looking at the following, so far,

Marantz SR7012 9.2 Channel A/V Receiver

Pioneer SC-LX901 11.2 Channel Class D3 Network AV Receiver

Anthem MRX720 7.2 A/V Receiver

Yamaha Aventage RXA3080B 9.2 Channel A/V Receiver

Denon AVR-X4400H 9.2 Channel AV Receiver

thanks

if you are buying new one than wait 2-3 weeks and look at SR7013 or X4500H, they are both in same category feature and price wise with slightly different sound signature and aesthetics or course, if you plan to keep your Rotel power amp fully utilized and you are willing to add another one than you might look at AV processor such as AV7705, all depended on your budget of course, in case you wanna know more about Marantz AV pre ask @:) al

Anthem/Arcam/NAD are very good in terms of advanced surround sound processing with tailored audio quality but also much more expensive (compared to D&M products in same category) with less features in terms of new tech and wireless connectivity, I never liked Pio and Yama AV receivers due to their strange SS processing so can't comment or recommend but things might changed since so hard to judge now...

just set your preferences and priority and you should be able to pick the right one for you ;)

The upgrade I imagine wideload is for atmos/dts-x to a major factor . If so I would closely look at the NAD758v3 as Snoopy said ; its rrp is $2399 which enables another power amp [or uhd player] to help your rotel before you look at around $4100 for the Marantz 7012 say .and it has dirac live and honest power ratings into 8channels driven .. If you need more than 3 in 1 out hdmi 2.0a though its something else or a separate matrix switcher..

That said if you want all the bells/whistles the yam has music cast[and alexa even]  and D&M holdings models have HEOS which is similar .  The Yamaha with its powerful 64bit dsp hd3 processing can also manage to upscale dolby atmos decoding [  including both the bed channels and ceiling unlike others] but it only uses PEQ for room eq - no dirac here.. If you have a sub with built in PEQ though Yamaha is good value ' sabre dacs have a good analog stage on my 5100..  Its handy to just hit a scene button and switch your dsp mode out of heaps of options on the fly and its new AI will choose for you if that's not a gimmick :whistle: Good luck

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cwt said:

at around $4100 for the Marantz 7012

wow ? ...are you sure Colin? btw. D&M also offer Alexa and Airplay2

here is pricing in my country converted to AUD:

SR7012 - ~$2400  9.2 channel

X4400H - ~$2400  9.2 channel

T758v3 - ~$2500   7.2 channel 

MRX720 - ~$5600 7.2 channel

AVR550 - ~$5800  7.2 channel

RX-A2080 - ~$3000 9.2 channel

AV7705 - ~$3400  11.2 channel preamp

SR7013 - ~$3000  9.2 channel

X4500H - ~$2600  9.2 channel

4 hours ago, kukynas said:

wow ? ...are you sure Colin? btw. D&M also offer Alexa and Airplay2

Only did a rough search based on an internet store rather than a bricks/mortar kukynas and it wasn't encouraging even with a new model you expect to give some leeway on ;)

https://www.audiotrends.com.au/marantz-sr7012.html

sure, I did the same but the difference is still crazy so no sure what's going on with Aussie market... just checked other 3 shops in Au and all of them ~$4100 :ohmy:

Standard price in CZ - https://www.hifiobchod.cz/index.php?id_product=5305&controller=product

Amazon is even $400 cheaper - https://www.amazon.de/Marantz-SR7012-Receiver-HDMI-Anschluss-USB-Anschluss/dp/B076KM1CC7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539454039&sr=8-1&keywords=sr7012

anyway, it is what it is...

• Like 1

I have the older SR6011 and really like it, the SR7012 I’m sure would be awesome

i have interest in the rxa 3070/3080 also, said to be very very good 

both would potentially present a different house sound which you’d be best to try hear? 

as as mentioned above, anthem highly regarded too