Recommend a first TT for a novice

Hello, everyone!
I've got a collection from my father, with several records I'd love to listen to, but right now I don't have a turntable to play them on. I've read through some old threads, but their authors set a different budget. 

Mine is 800$. I hope that's enough to find something simple but good at the same time. 

I tried to check out some information on the net and read several reviews (like this and this), and now I'm choosing between:
* AT-LP120-USB
* Rega Planar (1 or 2)
* Pro-Ject Primary E
Which is best for a novice, what do you think?

In addition, I've been told that Rega's are great for beginners, but on this forum I found this post:

On 21/07/2017 at 7:21 AM, Benny G said:

if you buy a new "entry level" rega you won't get $400 for it a month later. I've owned one, they are made of plastic and chipboard. Simply not worth the cost. 

Are they really that bad? 
Also, what's the difference between P1 and P2?
I'm not an audiophile, so it's hard for me to understand. 

Thanks in advance!

For $800, I would go used TT, project or rega, and if you like vintage denon or thorens.

I am bias, love rega so....but definitely get a used one at SNA classified as you will get a better grade TT than buying new.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I think an Audio Technica LP5 would be a good starter turntable. If your amplifier doesn't have a phono input you would need to budget for a phono preamp too. The LP5 has a phono preamp built in which would solve that problem. Rega TTs, especially the lower models, often require removal of the platter to change speed which I don't think is great for beginners or convenient.

All the best.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Janeka said:

Hello, everyone!
I've got a collection from my father, with several records I'd love to listen to, but right now I don't have a turntable to play them on. I've read through some old threads, but their authors set a different budget. 

Mine is 800$. I hope that's enough to find something simple but good at the same time. 

I tried to check out some information on the net and read several reviews (like this and this), and now I'm choosing between:
* AT-LP120-USB
* Rega Planar (1 or 2)
* Pro-Ject Primary E

In addition, I've been told that Rega's are great for beginners, but on this forum I found this post:

Thanks in advance!

Rega turntables are relatively cheaply made. HOWEVER, they are quite well built, simple, reliable and, most importantly, the Rega tone arms are very good indeed. In fact, the tone arms are, IMO, better than many other arms costing a great deal more. And this is an important point. The tone arm is critical to the ability to fit a variety of cartridges. Rega tone arms can be fitted with either MM or MC carts very happily. Secondary prices are what they are. I can't comment either way. A Rega is likely to provide you with many years of trouble-free and high quality operation.

• Like 2

Lol that's me from a while back.

Imo they don't look like the money.

A rega p1 just shouldn't cost 600 bucks.

I would actually really like to try one much higher up the chain, but I don't need it/can't afford it.

edit: HOWEVER looking at the RP1 for $550 it does look a lot nicer than my old P1 - and I do agree with above, also for out of the box ease of use etc, it is great. I would certainly choose it over the others.

OR buy secondhand here, and you'll be laughing. 800 secondhand and a bit of patience, but without being super fussy, you can get something quite serious.

Edited by Benny G
  • Like 1

im recently new to the Turntable Scene as well, my first Turntable 2 years ago was/is the ProJect 1Xpression with 2M red, and it's been a really good sounding and reliable Turntable never any issues and because of that i recommend the ProJect brand at least for a first Turntable.

no pressure or anything but im currently selling the 2 year old 1Xpression carbon With upgraded needle for $590 including shipping here if you're interested. its about $1100 - $1200 new including the upgraded needle not that price means anything.

Guys, thank you for your replies! You really gave me food for thought.
I'll consider buying a used one, guess it might be a better option. 

7 hours ago, Benny G said:

Lol that's me from a while back.

What a coincidence :)
Thanks for that explanation! I suppose, I got you wrong. Sorry for that.

Edited by Janeka

I started out earlier this year with vinyl. Bought a Rega P1. Took it back a couple months later as it had a few issues. Platter wobble, tone arm lifter stopped lifting... swapped that out for a Project debut carbon with 2M red cartridge. Big improvement in sound and quality in my opinion. Not looking for anything more at this stage. Cost about $580 for the turntable. Bought a Graham Slee phono off of the classifieds here for another hundred and am happy as. Always bigger and better though unfortunately ?

Edited by Pipey

21 hours ago, Janeka said:

Hello, everyone!

* AT-LP120-USB
* Rega Planar (1 or 2)
* Pro-Ject Primary E

Thanks in advance!

There is a bit more to choice of turntable than you might think.

As a you say, you are a novice......Fair enough, but to give GOOD ADVICE, you need to know what is going on, and the terminology.

FIRST Turntables 101

Turntables are subject to vibrations......you have a tiny needle, holding a tiny Diamond, over a record, while it is wriggiling around in the Tiny record grooves.....this wriggle of the tiny diamond on the tiny needle, creates the electronic signal....that then get's amplified, buy the amp, and that's what you hear from the speakers.

The finer the cartridge/needle can read the wriggles in the record, the better the sound.............If the record player holding these cartridge/ needle is being vibrated by the speakers at the same time is is trying to reproduce it, then you get distortion....sounds crap.

So, what's needed is NO vibration from the speakers, or anywhere else, effecting the turntable / needle, that is reading the grooves in the record......this is called 'Decoupling' or 'Vibration control'

You need to have as close to a vibration FREE platform for your turntable....so NOT near the speakers.....stuff this up it doesn't matter how much money you through at the problem, it will suck.

Several; ways to do that, none of any real expense ....better to AVOID the problem in the first place if possible, rather than having sort one out, is simply WHERE YOU PLACE YOUR TURNTABLE.

HOW TO DO THAT..Generally speakers react with a room, and not in a nice way....you have things called 'Room Modes", which is where the room makes some frequencies sound louder than others [Usually low/bass frequencies ].....this usually causes the worse vibrations at the corner of a room, closely followed by the center of the Long measurement of the room.

So What you might think.....well armed with this knowledge you now know, where NOT to place your Turntable.

You want to place your turntable around 1/3 into the room, close to the wall, along the length measurement of the room , that will be the point of the least vibration in the room, and the best LP reproduction

24 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

There is a bit more to choice of turntable than you might think.

As a you say, you are a novice......Fair enough, but to give GOOD ADVICE, you need to know what is going on, and the terminology.

FIRST Turntables 101

Turntables are subject to vibrations......you have a tiny needle, holding a tiny Diamond, over a record, while it is wriggiling around in the Tiny record grooves.....this wriggle of the tiny diamond on the tiny needle, creates the electronic signal....that then get's amplified, buy the amp, and that's what you hear from the speakers.

The finer the cartridge/needle can read the wriggles in the record, the better the sound.............If the record player holding these cartridge/ needle is being vibrated by the speakers at the same time is is trying to reproduce it, then you get distortion....sounds crap.

So, what's needed is NO vibration from the speakers, or anywhere else, effecting the turntable / needle, that is reading the grooves in the record......this is called 'Decoupling' or 'Vibration control'

You need to have as close to a vibration FREE platform for your turntable....so NOT near the speakers.....stuff this up it doesn't matter how much money you through at the problem, it will suck.

Several; ways to do that, none of any real expense ....better to AVOID the problem in the first place if possible, rather than having sort one out, is simply WHERE YOU PLACE YOUR TURNTABLE.

HOW TO DO THAT..Generally speakers react with a room, and not in a nice way....you have things called 'Room Modes", which is where the room makes some frequencies sound louder than others [Usually low/bass frequencies ].....this usually causes the worse vibrations at the corner of a room, closely followed by the center of the Long measurement of the room.

So What you might think.....well armed with this knowledge you now know, where NOT to place your Turntable.

You want to place your turntable around 1/3 into the room, close to the wall, along the length measurement of the room , that will be the point of the least vibration in the room, and the best LP reproduction

?

Used Rega RP3 and a 2M blue will be about $800... ive seen new P3's and Elys carts go for close to that!  Get the best arm for your money i reckon hard to top the RB303 etc in that price point.

That used Pro-Ject above would also be very good for the money.

Edited by Marshall_SLX
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wimbo said:

?

Really that clueless and not able to understand the post?

And after 2500 posts at this forum.....?

One can only come to the conclusion that you must had had very narrow viewing [subject wise] over your years at this forum.

I can only view your curt post/recommendation as a opinion.

No further information given, as asked by the OP.

Very useful..NOT

It helps to teach, it costs nothing but time, and saves confusion.

A bit more helpful than [?]

Edited by Tweaky

For these secondhand turntables, the OP is in NZ, so need to add shipping, duty, biosecurity fees on top.

On 12/10/2018 at 1:31 AM, PicoWattson said:

I would go for a Thorens, Thorens, or a Thorens. Then get it set up properly.

There are a few Thorens on TradeMe.co.nz but these might not be as plug and play.

So for a newbie I'd recommend a Pro-ject,  Rega or Music Hall. The Debut Carbon with Phonobox will be within budget.

• Like 1

I see that the OP is in New Zealand so the choice of used Turntables might be a bit limited. 

This project model comes under budget, is pre fitted with an Ortofon 2m Red  and leaves enough left over for a phono pre-amp if needed.

https://realgroovy.co.nz/product/407940/debut-carbon-dc-2m-red-red

Edited by BigJim

5 hours ago, Tweaky said:

Really that clueless and not able to understand the post?

I don't think that post was helpful in any way. As a matter of fact, to the uninitiated, it would of been confusing.

"I'm not an audiophile, so it's hard for me to understand."