Poll: How satisfied are you with your HiFi's sound?

How satisfied are you with your current HiFi's sound performance?  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I enjoy listening to the Tron SEVEN phono stage when I cycle it in to my system but I have found that the other phono stage I listen to, being a RCM Sensor Prelude is a step up, it might not be your tt that is limiting your analogue set up.

cheers Terry
Thanks Terry,
I recently tried the phono in my ME into the tron pre and enjoyed it alot. Thing is the tron phono is a real step up from the ME phono. Its just that the double tubeness is too much for me.
It's interesting you rate the RCM more that the Tron as i rate this phono highly but then I've never heard a sensor...... yet.
I did find rolling tubes made a noticeable difference in my system but is a bit of a pita changing them over.
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 2:24 PM, jeromelang said:

Try dnm amplifiers - move away from all the metal-clad behemoths

Bought a DNM Series 3 with external twin power supply back in the late 80's. It went when I had to sell the system in the Naughties.. Best pre I ever heard.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:45 PM, crisis said:

My gear is quite modest yet after hearing some equipment recently that probably involved cable that cost more than my entire system I don't feel short changed. In fact I prefer the sound I have.

Environment is the big plus.I'm sure if you won lotto (me too) and bought a lot of the kit (through research) at the HiFi show, the end result would be better then what you have now.

HiFi shows are the pits for trying to get good sounds. One of the problems is the other people in the room as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Environment is the big plus.I'm sure if you won lotto (me too) and bought a lot of the kit (through research) at the HiFi show, the end result would be better then what you have now.

HiFi shows are the pits for trying to get good sounds. One of the problems is the other people in the room as well.

For sure. In fact if I sat my gear next to the gear I heard and played them off I would undoubtedly prefer the hi end stuff. If I had unlimited funds I would have a system that cost more than a small town with the most unjustifiable cable known to man. I am under no illusion but I am just pleased that my current system gives me a smile which is not something my other systems always did.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2018 at 2:02 PM, blakey72 said:

Actually, I think I'm happy with my Hifi. I just don't think I'm happy with my room.

This is my problem. All the products work well together and sound perfect in terms of treble and bass depth. The problems come on specific passages where it may boom too much on the left hand side or the soundstage might sit a little bit off centre.

Its all room related and I can fix it by putting the speakers in a non WAF approved position. So i need a better room, which means i need a better house, which means i need a better job, which means i need a better city....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RockandorRoll said:

Its all room related and I can fix it by putting the speakers in a non WAF approved position. So i need a better room, which means i need a better house, which means i need a better job, which means i need a better city....

Haha I'm hearing ya. I keep moving my speakers forward to open them up, tighten the bass and she keeps telling me to move them back. "The lounge room's small enough as it is!". Damn.

And better house, better job.... Yeah I need to stop studying and get a job before that can happen.

Edited by blakey72

14 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Haha I'm hearing ya. I keep moving my speakers forward to open them up, tighten the bass and she keeps telling me to move them back. "The lounge room's small enough as it is!". Damn.

And better house, better job.... Yeah I need to stop studying and get a job before that can happen.

Yeah, I've that problem too.... Definitely sounds better further forward...... Then there's the cleaning robots gradually pushing my speakers back (the Aurum Cantus F620 isn't that heavy)..... Wife and robots are conspiring against me.....

Mrs.Feline: "Why do your big ugly speakers have to be so far in the room?"

Me: "Because they sound better that way"

Mrs.Feline: "But nobody else has their speakers like that.  They must think we're stupid for having them where you insist putting them".

Me: "Well I think just about everyone else is stupid for placing their speakers where they sound horrible".

Later:

Me: "I heard these wonderful speakers at the HiFi show - can I buy them please..." - I then show her a photo of the biggest, ugliest horn speakers I can find.

Mrs.Feline: "Your speakers don't seem as bad after all!". 

To be fair to Mrs.Feline, she doesn't like my stereo (acknowledges it sounds good), but she knows it's important to be so she surrenders on HiFi disagreements.  And there's not much more I could ask of her. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@audiofeline : agree with all the comments.  My wife got past that with the announcement- we’ve purchased a house, you have the bottom half, I’ve got the top, the garden and everything else!!

Luckily the kids were on their way to flying solo within a year or so.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RockandorRoll said:

This is my problem. All the products work well together and sound perfect in terms of treble and bass depth. The problems come on specific passages where it may boom too much on the left hand side or the soundstage might sit a little bit off centre.

LOL I can relate, had a setup in a spare room and it was far too boomy. Ended up demolishing the back garage and putting in a “rumpus room” where my cheap second hand stereo now lives . Actually it sounds good enough. It always have been an issue with the room ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I can report that I'm still very happy with my existing system and as I voted I don't intend to upgrade it anytime soon. ... that is other than the new CD player and some NOS tubes for one of the amps that I just purchased this week. .... :angel:

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, TerryO said:

Well I can report that I'm still very happy with my existing system and as I voted I don't intend to upgrade it anytime soon. ... that is other than the new CD player and some NOS tubes for one of the amps that I just purchased this week. .... :angel:

And all of next week untouched big fella! :D 

On 23/11/2018 at 8:18 PM, catman said:

G'day all, an interesting thread.  I am 'quite satisfied' overall, but I would like to try a well executed bi, (or even triamped) system.  Regards, Felix.    

I'm suspecting that you would also be curious to try another phono preamp or two!   ?

• Like 2

well, indeed.. not working on the ipad, however totally visible on the PC... Interesting... should not make a difference these days you would...

So, yeah I chose quite satisfied (2nd answer) with current sound (no doubt there is or we can always go better if willing to 'invest' more). My current 'deadlock' is that the investment is in our system (HT with bypass for main speakers through Parasound A21) in the living room which is not the most ideal room. And I don't want to (spend the money to:-)) build a separate setup in the actual theatre room (which would probably be a bit better). 

Some day maybe....