Poll: How satisfied are you with your HiFi's sound?

How satisfied are you with your current HiFi's sound performance?  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A frustration with the audiophile hobby is that we are always tempted with upgrading our equipment, and that no matter the quality level there is always more expensive options available. 

But - realistically - how satisfied are you with your current system's sound performance?

Select the best-fitting response from the options.  For those of you with multiple systems, think of the one that has the best sound and/or the one you listen to the most.  This poll is based on your subjective relationship with the reproduction your equipment delivers;  it's not a measure of how many dollars you have invested in your HiFi.  

Feel free to discuss below... 

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1

I'm at "quite satisfied". 

It's taken me many years of upgrading to get to the reproduction level I now have, and I enjoy the quality a lot.  Yes, I would love to upgrade and enjoy higher levels of reproduction, but I don't have the resources to do so, and am happy living with what I have.  Upgrades are generally prompted by component failures than by dissatisfaction. 

I'm abstaining for the moment. Right now I'd class myself as "somewhat", but I have a component on it's way at the moment which I know will be a quantum leap from what I have been using for the past 5 months, and also better than what I had prior to that (which suffered catastrophic failure).

So I'll revisit in a few weeks.

• Like 2

Guest Misterioso

This explains why it is so hard to sell good equipment on SNA. Everyone just seems to be happy with his/her system.

On the other hand: if we are all happy, why is there so much good equipment for sale on SNA? Does not add up :-)

Edited by Misterioso

Generally I'm very satisfied with my main system for listening to music when I can, and even 2 channel HT / TV.

The biggest improvement would probably come from room treatments but realistically, that's not going to happen in our main living area, which is very open, large and generally restricted in the "room treatment" scenario. 

Current main system consists of

1. VAF i93 Mk 1 speakers

2. Emotiva XPA 5 (using 4 channels to passively bi-amp the VAFs)

3. Emotiva UMC 1 (preamp and video/audio processor)

4. Oppo 93 disc player

5. Logitech SBT with Audio gd NFB 2 DAC

6. Topfield PVR 

7. Audio Principe speaker cables

• Like 1

I'd say I'm done. I had a bit of a swap around this last 12 months deciding whether I preferred a single stereo amp or a pair of the same bridged as monoblocks and once I came down on the monoblock side of things then that was it. Turntable, cartridge and phono amp wise has been set in stone for quite a few years now

• Like 1

Have gone for option 3. I do enjoy my system, but like Elcamry am always on the lookout for tweaks or ways to improve it. Recently added 2 x Nordost QK1s & am loving the result, of course this raises the question of their other similar products & whether I can resist making further purchases?.

• Like 1

Option three. Front end is superb. Preamp and speakers are holding the system back. If I had the money I'd get another DNM pre and some larger speakers. Not sure which though. When I sell the house and move, things will change. Not for a couple of years though.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, muriwai said:

I wonder how many (myself included)will change their satisfaction level after visiting the hi fi show !!!

Why go then??  ??

I voted quite satisfied, am going to the hifi show because there is always a tweak you do not know.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Why go then??  ??

I voted quite satisfied, am going to the hifi show because there is always a tweak you do not know.   

I go to the hifi show knowing I have a nice system. 

I come home from the hifi show believing my stereo is a piece of @##$%. 

It takes a bit of time to enjoy my system again, but it's nice hearing the unobtainable at the show.

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 2

Guest yamaha_man
7 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I go to the hifi show knowing I have a nice system. 

I come home from the hifi show believing my stereo is a piece of @##$%. 

It takes a bit of time to enjoy my system again, but it's nice hearing the unobtainable at the show.

More often than not I leave a show thinking I have better sound at home than 95% of the rooms.

8 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Suggest skipping the SGR Audio room and the "yellow peril"  
https://www.hifishow.com.au/news/sgr-audio-debuts-new-flagship-at-hi-fi-show

3 minutes ago, yamaha_man said:

More often than not I leave a show thinking I have better sound at home than 95% of the rooms.

That is always the challenge: rooms are often poorly set up

Edited by Snoopy8
Butter fingers!