Modest integrated amp for an "away from the inquisitive child" setup

59 minutes ago, Treemender said:

Something about the retro look and feel.

This is exactly why I have an irrational lust for high end Yamaha gear. Nothing to do with the sound - it's the paddle switches and VU meters.

I have to admit Naim is another one I've yet to investigate. Something put me off and I can't remember what that was. Anyway, I'll have a look. The difficulty is that the new stuff is beyond my means, and it's difficult to organise even a cursory audition for the old stuff when it's popular enough to sell on eBay unseen and unheard.  

@eman Class D is another option that has benefits for my particular situation. Chief among them is that it's cool running - I can leave it on all night with very little risk.

I was looking at the NAD D3020, but the new one (v2) has deleted the USB in and replaced it with a MM phono stage - removing something useful to me and offering something useless in its place. A bit of a bummer. 

The other Class D option I've been considering is the (rather pricey) Pioneer A-70DAK. MC phono, a USB DAC, and good reviews.

Edited by twofires

I like the idea of the Nad 3020 as a 2nd amp, maybe the 3020a asca consideration also?

but I also have read (not heard) the nad 356bee is very good. 

Neither will set you back too much and once the young one is older you can move to shed system or alike without too much concern?

@08Boss302 I'd certainly consider new NAD stuff, but my worry with old stuff of unknown condition (especially stuff known for randomly packing it in) is that it's a fire risk. In the shed, I lose a few old bike frames. In the bedroom, it's a bit more serious! I have a habit of forgetting to turn things off before bed, so auto standby is an important feature for me.

But I still love the aesthetic. I envy you your A-S1100!

• Like 1

Makes sense. I’ll be keen to see which way you go and what suggestions get provided as I’m on the loose look for a cheapish  2nd unit for a bedroom/shed set up

Thanks for the nice words on the amp! i am very happy with mine, took a bit of time to settle in but as it has it just keeps impressing.

As I’ve mentioned it does polarise people tho - for evey happy person there seems to be an unhappy person.

As with most things, the negative views are louder than the positive views but it just shows everyone’s mileage varies which is how things should be otherwise it’d be a boring ass world lol

• Like 1

@08Boss302 Ha, yeah. I've found that a lot of people tend to see their experience with their ears in their setup in their room as definitive. You just have to shrug and do your own thing.

When I bought the Rotel I was A/Bing it with a Parasound that is universally loved. I was thoroughly underwhelmed. Which was great - the Rotel was cheaper! 

• Like 1

Have I missed a whole thread on amps burning your house down? I have always left amps on. My musical fidelity I could cook an egg on in the winter. 

Im going to invent a mini foam extinguisher you can fit next to the amp, maybe with a blue led so it sells better. 

10 hours ago, twofires said:

@eman Class D is another option that has benefits for my particular situation. Chief among them is that it's cool running - I can leave it on all night with very little risk.

I was looking at the NAD D3020, but the new one (v2) has deleted the USB in and replaced it with a MM phono stage - removing something useful to me and offering something useless in its place. A bit of a bummer. 

The other Class D option I've been considering is the (rather pricey) Pioneer A-70DAK. MC phono, a USB DAC, and good reviews.

NAD have another range now with the conventional NAD look.  A few in the range of C328 - C388. Output, features and cost goes up with the designation numbers.

(I'm going to sell some amps when I'm done comparing. Might not be new enough for you unless I turn the D class around straight away.  PM me if you want to discuss ).

4 hours ago, blybo said:

The New Sprout 100 is much gutsier than the original. Great form factor for a bedroom set up. I haven't heard 1 but considering for a 2nd system.

I did see something about that.

*adds to the research list*

2 hours ago, Irek said:

Rega integrated is really good when it comes to timing, details and dynamic. Sometimes for some people is too much and bad recordings sound really bad.

There seem to be a few Brio-Rs floating around for about $500, which is a damn good price. They don't have much in terms of features, but I'm not discounting the idea. The Elex-R would be better, but no-one seems to want to part with those. 

@wen Neutral and detailed sounds good, although a bit of grunt would be handy too. Basically I'm going to put together about $1500 and then post a WTB and see what people have to offer. It's overkill for the current set of speakers, but if the space works for me I'll upgrade the speakers down the road.