Bands or artists you just never 'got' ?

On 12/10/2018 at 11:13 AM, cafe67 said:

These threads always go the same way lol. The bands i mentioned i dont hate ( thats for the other thread) just bands i dont get ( why they are so popular) but each to their own. 

Take Leonard Cohen seems musically accomplished, writes interesting lyrics, but sings/performs the same monotone way in every song. Ive tried listening to him even watched a live dvd.....result but more interesting than cricket. 

These threads don’t have to always go that way. If someone takes the time to explain their position, like you just did, these can be very educational.

• Like 1

Thanks, a lot of these threads end up tongue in cheek until someone gets all butt hurt about their favourite sacred cow being kicked then it gets all serious.probably more things to worry about. ?

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 2

Talking Heads - live in Rotterdam. They sounded like they needed one of two things either  ECT or a bullet in the back of the neck. I stood up and said so - never saw cloggies get so upset. I left, did'nt matter since I'd jumped the fence and had'nt payed.

Someone earlier dissed Neil Young - are you crazy, that man wrote so much good music, yes his voice was a bit weak but have you actually listened to Rust Live - definitely one of the best Rock n Roll LPs ever.

Most C & W ?  A long time ago I would have said the same thing, but not now. Country music is a lot more than 'achy breaky heart' and boot scootin! (Can't stand that stuff myself either.) You need to delve a bit deeper.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, emesbee said:

Most C & W ?  A long time ago I would have said the same thing, but not now. Country music is a lot more than 'achy breaky heart' and boot scootin! (Can't stand that stuff myself either.) You need to delve a bit deeper.

@rotur

Excellent idea from @emesbee

start at the top

Edited by keyse1

• 3 weeks later...

On 31/10/2018 at 7:30 PM, Luc said:

Obviously not a Deadhead. 

Secret is to try the same live show seven times or more.  Preferably a 70's show. And I think that's the third time I've read that joke here.

As for me: what @rantan said, also Supertramp, Asia, AC/DC, Meatloaf, Empire of the Sun.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
I must add "Yes". Blokes agree a start and stop time, and play furiously.

I'll go back up on Dylan. No, I don't get it. Can't sing, can't play a guitar, in fact he doesn't do much other than whinge. The demonstration era ended in the 70s. Some nice things have actually happened (not many though).

He's not a bad poet though, just nowhere near as good as Llorca.

• Like 1

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned The Beatles, Queen or Michael Jackson yet.

Oh... hang on... ?

Tryin' to think... not getting... it's a different cup of tea than not liking, I think REM fit the bill, a bit, they do have a few good songs.

Meh... too difficult. I'll just 'get' me something to drink.

Cheers,

Alberto

Kylie... Madonna... Beyoncé...

... Adele!

I still haven’t heard her singing a full song because I really can’t stand the way she sings! At least I enjoyed a few Kylie and Madonna....[emoji33]

16 hours ago, t_mike said:

I'll go back up on Dylan. No, I don't get it. Can't sing, can't play a guitar, in fact he doesn't do much other than whinge. The demonstration era ended in the 70s. Some nice things have actually happened (not many though).

He's not a bad poet though, just nowhere near as good as Llorca.

God

What a way to start the day

reading this at 5 in the morning

The publication of These sort of views should be confined to the bright light of daytime

I have no opinion on the comparison with Lorca’s poetry except that another truly inspirational singer and writer  Leonard Cohen would probably agree

But I can say without a shadow of a doubt Lorca could not writeor sing a song as great as Bob’s

As to Bob’s guitar playing skills he is as good or bad as the hundreds of musicians who make up the musicians on a lot of the best records ever made

Some of America and England’s  best ever musicians have all played recorded or toured with Dylan

Dylan is one of the best white singers in rock music by a country mile

As for not “getting it” you are more than welcome to attend my rock n roll Sistine Chappell so to speak and prepare to be converted?

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

God

What a way to start the day

reading this at 5 in the morning

The publication of These sort of views should be confined to the bright light of daytime

I have no opinion on the comparison with Lorca’s poetry except that another truly inspirational singer and writer  Leonard Cohen would probably agree

But I can say without a shadow of a doubt Lorca could not writeor sing a song as great as Bob’s

As to Bob’s guitar playing skills he is as good or bad as the hundreds of musicians who make up the musicians on a lot of the best records ever made

Some of America and England’s  best ever musicians have all played recorded or toured with Dylan

Dylan is one of the best white singers in rock music by a country mile

As for not “getting it” you are more than welcome to attend my rock n roll Sistine Chappell so to speak and prepare to be converted?

Agreed and well said, Bob Dylan does not belong on this thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Ohhhhh this thread hurts so many artists mentioned that I love but  like the saying goes one mans trash is another mans treasure.....

Nothing you just scratch your head about mate?...

How about all the love for Greta Van Fleet?

Tori Amos. Writing rubbish about how your Unicorn ran off with a teapot is not an existential breakthrough. Annoying pseudo intellectualism wrapped in equally turgid    

tunes.  

The Angels , horrible, ugly stuff.

Dr Hook. Dr S#*t.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2