TV tuner that isn't crap

judo

Hey all,

I have a 1080 projector (and might upgrade to 4k soon) so I need a TV tuner to watch free to air TV, but I have purchased 2 different (cheap) units now and they're both terrible. Watching 7HD in particular, it looks like it can't process the stream fast enough and is laggy/jumpy.

What should I be looking at? I have an Apple TV as media centre so I don't really need a full media centre, but definitely want something better as a TV tuner.

What are my options? Are their better straight up TV tuners and I've just purchased crap ones?

Cheers.

4 hours ago, judo said:

Hey all,

I have a 1080 projector (and might upgrade to 4k soon) so I need a TV tuner to watch free to air TV, but I have purchased 2 different (cheap) units now and they're both terrible. Watching 7HD in particular, it looks like it can't process the stream fast enough and is laggy/jumpy.

What should I be looking at? I have an Apple TV as media centre so I don't really need a full media centre, but definitely want something better as a TV tuner.

What are my options? Are their better straight up TV tuners and I've just purchased crap ones?

Cheers.

Grab a good quality used HD set top box or PVR.  Now that there's catch-up TV and new TVs have HD tuners and USB recording capabilities, plenty of people are getting rid of their trusty set top boxes and PVRs. Topfield, Beyonwiz, Panasonic, Strong, etc.

What were the 2 units that didn't perform?

I have a Topfield 2400 masterpiece that is now redundant in my system.  It was start of the art, and still works (and records). 

Plug the TV aerial into that, and run an hdmi out of the topfield to your projector/media centre and away you go.

However, before buying/getting such a piece of equipment, I strongly suggest you follow Surprisetech's advice and understand why your previous attempts have failed.

What tuner did you use?

What free-to-air aerial did you use?

What cabling between the aerial and tuner?

What cabling between the tuner and the projector?  or do you connect to your media center first, and then the projector?

I've had the exact same experience.

I bought a STB to connect to my projector specifically for the AFL grand final.

We couldn't watch it because of the horrendous judder. We were all feeling sick after a few minutes! And this was 7HD.

I'll have to try my old Beyonwiz. Maybe that will be better.