Speaker reccomendations for Cambridge Audio CxA60 Amp

Hello Audiophiles 

Greetings!  I hope you are all well.

I was hoping to get some ideas and reccomendations for good speakers to match my amplifier : Cambridge Audio CXA60.

I have a small room and the speakers will be relatively close to the wall with a little breathing room.

Currently I wad thikining about the elac b6 or elac B6.2 however I am yet to audition these speakers.   My budget is around $600 .  Second hand speakers would be considered as well.

I listen to funk and soul, electronic music, disco, rock etc.

Cheers

Edited by Hendoferson

• 8 months later...

Hi All

I'm also in the same boat as OP, with a slightly bigger budget ($800-1200). 

I was originally considering the Klipsch RP600Ms, however after a trip to the local audio shop today the sales rep quickly disparaged that matching.

So unless someone has a differing opinion, I'm now tossing up between the Dynaudio Emit 20s or the B&W 606s. I listened to the later with the CXA60 at the shop and it sounded great.

Any advice is much appreciated.

F_E

6 hours ago, flat_eric said:

Hi All

I'm also in the same boat as OP, with a slightly bigger budget ($800-1200). 

I was originally considering the Klipsch RP600Ms, however after a trip to the local audio shop today the sales rep quickly disparaged that matching.

So unless someone has a differing opinion, I'm now tossing up between the Dynaudio Emit 20s or the B&W 606s. I listened to the later with the CXA60 at the shop and it sounded great.

Any advice is much appreciated.

F_E

Did you listen to the Klipsch? 

I prefer the Emit M10s to the M20s

19 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Did you listen to the Klipsch? 

I prefer the Emit M10s to the M20s

Nah I haven't had the chance yet - but I've heard some good things.

Why do you prefer the M10s? They're pretty pint size so I'd worry about filling a larger room.

The RP600M's are a lovely speaker. Don't take notice of the salesman. What I found with the Dyn's (well Excites) was that the X12's were smaller than the X14's however the 14's sounded slow and a little muddy. Same might apply to the Emit's?

These would be my choice with the Cambridge ;)

• Like 1

i would give Monitor Audio Bronze 2 a good listen, the Elac was compared to these in a review, said the Elac's were found wanting in terms of dynamics, i have the earlier BX2's, front ported so you can go close to the wall, 4 x 4.5 m room, 40wpc Quasimodo amp, they rival my MA RS6 floorstanders, can be had for $600 new, second hand the BX2 are a steal, they do come up secondhand on SNA

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

why is the klipsch downrated as per the sales rep? i have a klipsch RP-600M and was thinking of going with a CXA60. :( 

I currently have an emotiva A-100 - no complaints however wondering if i could get more 'subjective' performance out of the cambridge?

:\ 

1 hour ago, chewstation said:

why is the klipsch downrated as per the sales rep? i have a klipsch RP-600M and was thinking of going with a CXA60. :( 

I currently have an emotiva A-100 - no complaints however wondering if i could get more 'subjective' performance out of the cambridge?

?

No idea why the 600's would be downrated, they are a great sounding speaker. I know older Cambridge gear could sound a little on the bright side of neutral and Klipsch has a rep for being bright. The newer Klipsch however aren't as 'lively' as the older models and same with the Cambridge gear. If you are in Melbourne head to somewhere like Audiotrends and ask them to give you a demo of the pair. That will tell the true story ;) 

• 2 months later...

On 10/02/2021 at 10:29 PM, chewstation said:

Does the cxa60 fall into that category? (Of being bright)

This is late, and more for future possible buyers, but ...

I found the CXA60 a touch bright initially. But I was coming from a NAD 7020e (the old classic 1980s NAD 3020e plus a tuner). The NAD is glorious, but one of its hallmark characteristics is that it fills in the sound a bit, making it sound very rich – and to me at least, highly listenable. My old Cambridge Audio 540R was surprisingly similar.

I suspect that, at least to my ears, the CXA60 sounds more distinct than bright. Compared to the old NAD, it lifts the veil a little more. Some would call it unforgiving. But it is also wonderfully detailed; live performances can sound uncanny. And sound is still full and rich. It paired particularly beautifully with my son's old pair of Dynaudio Audience 52SEs (yes, for the moment I'm jealous).

It's also gorgeous, with superb-feeling build quality.

After a few months relistening to a lot of my music, I've grown to love the CXA60's qualities. I have hopes that like the NAD, it will be a three-decade amp.

• Like 1