$2k on cart/phono stage or integrated amp?

So I'm looking at upgrading my system and I have a bit of a dilemma. I need a new cart, phono stage and integrated amp but I don't know where to put the money for most bang for buck. I'm thinking about 2 options. $1k on cart and $1k on phono stage (or thereabouts) and pair with a basic amp such as a NAD 316BEE V2 or Rotel A10 or go with a basic MM cart ($400ish) and blow the full $2k on a better integrated amp and use the built in phono stage.

What do you guys think would be the better option and what would you do?

Forgot to mention; turntable in both systems would be either Rega P3 or P6.

Edited by deniall

1 minute ago, Cafad said:

What integrated are you upgrading from?

I had a Brio-R which I enjoyed. So either it would be a significant step up with a more basic front end or a downgrade with a more serious front end. Just don't know where the money is better spent.

2K should get you an Exposure 2010S2 (cheaper second hand of course) and I believe they are meant to have quite a good phono stage (it is optional though so not all of them will contain one).  

I can't think of anything in the price range that I would consider a better buy.

7 minutes ago, Cafad said:

2K should get you an Exposure 2010S2 (cheaper second hand of course) and I believe they are meant to have quite a good phono stage (it is optional though so not all of them will contain one).  

I can't think of anything in the price range that I would consider a better buy.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's possible I can get my hands on a Moon 240i for $2k. What do you think?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I have made my decisions regarding what gear I actually want. I guess the question I need answered is which option should I choose? More on cart/phono or more on amp?

My opinion is get a used Rega Elex R, a Rega Fono MC and a new Rega Ania.  Should be doable for $2.5k, less if you get a used cart.  My take on it is get a used amp and phono and a new cart.  Having said that if its not sold that Ortofon quintet blue that was on here 2 weeks ago would be nice if its still available.

1 hour ago, deniall said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I have made my decisions regarding what gear I actually want. I guess the question I need answered is which option should I choose? More on cart/phono or more on amp?

Cart/phono mate.

A better source will make any amp better. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marshall_SLX said:

Reading your OP again i would say stick with the Brio a bit longer, get a new Ania and Fono MC.... $1.5K new...

It's sold so not an option unfortunately. All I have now is speakers.