Just ordered a TV, should i change my choice to 4K?

https://www.videopro.com.au/p-11706-sony-bravia-43-kdl43w660f-full-hd-smart-tv.aspx

A few days ago i ordered this tv from Videopro and it's being delivered on Friday. I went for this one as i wanted to access Youtube and finally start watching their videos on the bigger screen. Do all Smart tvs provide access to Youtube?

I'm now wondering if i should change my order and go for one with 4K instead? However i'm sure i read something a while ago that said unless you have a screen of 50" or more it's really not worth getting 4K, is that true?

Videopro have three 43" tvs with 4K and i'm wondering if i should buy one of these, and if so which one is the better tv? Unfortunately i'm unable to actually visit the shop to view the televisions.

https://www.videopro.com.au/p-11672-panasonic-43-th43fx600a-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv.aspx

https://www.videopro.com.au/p-11631-samsung-43-ua43nu7100w-series-7-4k-tv.aspx

https://www.videopro.com.au/p-11820-sony-43-kd43x7500f-ultra-hd-android-tv.aspx

Thanks.

There's a website called Rtings which compares TVs. I found it helpful when I was looking for a TV >  https://www.rtings.com/

In regard to 4k it depends....

Foxtel has just announced a 4k Channel for sport etc. Maybe this is important to you?

There are 4k Blu-ray discs now. Maybe you enjoy watching movies with 4k picture?

There are no 4k FTA TV channels yet. When will they come? Your guess is as good as mine. I think it will be quite some time before this occurs.

At 43" screen size, 4K will only be noticeable (compared to FHD 1080p) if you sit less than about 1.6m from the screen.

Regarding resolution/detail, a 4K movie and a 1080p blu-ray will look exactly the same on a 43" screen if you sit more than 2m from the screen (excluding the advantages of HDR and WCG often found on 4K material).

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

Some, not all 4K TV's, will upscale a HD signal to 4k.

So if watching the HD version of any free to air channels, the picture looks quite respectable.....total opposite if you can't get the HD channels.

To stream 4K Foxtel / Netflix etc you are going to need a fast internet speed, otherwise forget it, you'll only be able to view less than SD quality, which looks even worse on a 4K TV than one that only does 1080p....same goes for YouTube, unless it's 4K material, it won't look any better on a 4K screen.

If you buy a 4K disc player, I think most upscale standard 1080p Bluray discs to 4K, I know my Panasonic does, which looks good without the added expense of buying 4K versions of discs, sure you don't get the added REC 2020 color space, but you really aren't missing that much TBH.....I'm talking about if you already own the Bluray version of a movie, it's seldom worth replace it with the 4K version unless you are running a 4K 65"+ TV or 4K Projector.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 4:52 PM, Tweaky said:

Some, not all 4K TV's, will upscale a HD signal to 4k.

I thought all 4k TVs upscaled HD (and any other resolution)   to 4K as it's the native resolution of the TV.

For it to display a lower resolution "natively" wouldn't it have to turn pixels off? Is that what you mean?

(Genuine Question ?)

I think some of the early 4K TV's and some of the current lower rung TV's work similarly to a monitor when playing back material, as in only reproducing the signal level it receives, and not having any in built up-scaling electronics.

Even the best TV's can't do miracles, as in making standard [None HD] free to air material look good, that still looks soft and fuzzy , feed them the 1080i HD channel equivalent and they can look very good.

But not all TV's upscale well, it's something you have to check out in person

When playing back standard Blurays, I found they look better when up-scaled by my 4K disc player, rather than playing back via a standard Bluray player and being up-scaled by the TV, there's quite a noticeable jump in picture quality

ALL TV's scale the video that is fed into them to the screens native pixel format and it has been that way since the very first flat panel TV's.

So ALL 4K TV's upscale to 4K, but upscaling does NOT increase visible resolution at all, it just interpolates to more pixels.

4K is pointless on a 43" TV for viewing video unless you sit so close you could reach out and touch the screen. 

4K video from streaming services has 4K pixels but no where near 4K visible resolution due to WAY too much compression, in fact picture and sound quality is inferior to 1080 Bluray.

1080 streaming is more like low grade 720p.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

I've heard the same argument against 4K on 55" TVs as well, but our Sony Bravia in 4K is just stunning. Is the 43" really that much smaller that 4K is not worth it?

we watch our 50" pio kuro from a distance that you wouldnt even resolve 1080p let alone 4k ! 

the thing with 4k isnt so much about resolution there is also HDR and wide colour gamut that uhd brings. while resolution especially in telly sizes isnt so important there might be the other aspects why you might get a uhd TV. things like HDR and wide colour gamut are seen regardlesss of telly size.

my pio kuro instó gong any place anytime soon though. it still all these years later is more than good enough PQ for my needs. especially for screen size it is and stuff we view on it eg fta TV, news mini series etc. for larger screen experience I use a projector, can easily over resolve 1080p  and can appreciate any further gains in resolution can throw at it....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake said:

I've heard the same argument against 4K on 55" TVs as well, but our Sony Bravia in 4K is just stunning.

And it would look just as stunning if it wasn't 4K for the vast majority of content and viewing distances. Even a 65" TV is too small for 4K at a 3m viewing distance, people with normal vision would struggle to resolve 1080 . How close do people sit?

2 hours ago, :) al said:

the thing with 4k isnt so much about resolution there is also HDR and wide colour gamut that uhd brings.

Good luck finding any "Wide Gamut" colours in most movies, there normally aren't any or stuff all. Even when there is people wont be able to tell without a side by side comparison.

Attention to colour calibration makes FAR more difference than "wide gamut" ever will.

It really comes down to what content the OP expects to view.