The day has come when I can now say these speakers are finished! Last upgrade was to finish the xovers using good caps and better construction.

Very Happy!

IMG_20181005_091349687.jpg

IMG_20181005_092940577.jpg

IMG_20180813_051911343.jpg

Congratulations!

I only lurk in the DIY forums but I saw some of your previous posts and this looked like quite a build.

17 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

Congratulations!

I only lurk in the DIY forums but I saw some of your previous posts and this looked like quite a build.

Yea..... when I started this (a couple of years ago) someone mentioned it would take a couple of years to sort out, I thought no way....... Fast forward nearly 3 years!

Its been an enjoyable journey (most of the time) and I've learnt a lot. I really do like working through problems, both sound quality and construction issues.

I know I've waffled on about improvements over the duration of this build and I'm sure a few readers would have quietly said to themselves, what a plonker! Hell, I read some of the previous posts and think this!

Thanks to those that offered support and idea's, appreciate the help.

Next move, who knows.... 

Question is, What updates have you done and were they worth it ?

I for one would like to see more pics and info.

Excellent build and looks like a lot of work. Well done. 

Yes please A full break down and description would be nice. 

Posted (edited)

I don’t really want to subject you to more dribble about this project, there’s been more than enough of that over the last couple of years!

So here’s a summary of the final product.

Berhinger DSP amp powering Troels Gravesen DTQWT speakers for the bass. These go nice and low and are horn loaded so we get a nice synergy with the other horns. The DSP amp allowed me to match the slope of the md horn xover and dial in some delay to compensate for the misalignment. Crossed at around 500hz.

Next is the Azura AH340 horn with the Yamaha 6681B drivers, these go to about 6500 where the Faital Pro HF108’s take over. All xovers are 2nd order.

In summary one of the biggest improvements can be found in good quality caps. Changing drivers was subtle but going to good caps made one of the biggest improvements. Probably the best $650 to date.

Cap link:

https://speakerbug.com.au/index.php?route=product/category&path=25_78

Edited by nzlowie

They look great. There's just something special about the look of a good horn 

They look great. There's just something special about the look of a good horn 
Cheers, not only do they look a bit different but they have a special sound quality that I'm loving.