Marantz Preamp Upgrade Help

Hi everyone,

Have run a Marantz AV8801 for four years, have found the sound fantastic together with a oppo 105 for home theatre and two channel stereo. I now have a craving for Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision and better sound. The AV8801 was not a cheap unit, and simply chosen not to pay for a flagship model again, e.g AV8805

Wanting XLR inputs again, thou have not experienced a dramatic increase in quality using XLR inputs.

Considering if the sound quality will drop off i went the AV7703 Or AV7704 pre amp. What's everyone's thoughts on which model to go with?

I have 9 channels of Parasound amplification, and wanting to run a 4 channel ceiling Atmos setup with 4 channel rear surrounds. So I'm also missing 2 channels of amplification. So also thinking of a Marantz Receiver option as well.

Currently running a RTI programmed remote control, already set up for Marantz unit, so could look at other brands but id have extra costs to re-program the RTI.

Would love to hear from other marantz owners, to know if the AV7703 OR AV7704 route.

Thanks

you dont have to go the av8805, for pretty much all current need the superseded av8802A if can pick up 2nd hand would be a great option. or otherwise I am sure the av7702mk2, AV7703/4 will also do. all these I believe are fully compatible in the all that talking about as needs. even the av7702 mk2 received the dolby vision update... so dont necessarily  have to latest versions.

• Like 1

you dont have to go the av8805, for pretty much all current need the superseded av8802A if can pick up 2nd hand would be a great option. or otherwise I am sure the av7702mk2, AV7703/4 will also do. all these I believe are fully compatible in the all that talking about. even the av7702 mk2 received the dolby vision update... so down necessarily  have to latest versions.
Hi mate. Yeah I've read mixed articles, that some models are getting more updates than others, e.g AV7703 gets more updates than the AV8802A. The prices on a 8802 are ridiculous for a superseded model....

1 minute ago, Perth.hifi said:
21 minutes ago, :) al said:
you dont have to go the av8805, for pretty much all current need the superseded av8802A if can pick up 2nd hand would be a great option. or otherwise I am sure the av7702mk2, AV7703/4 will also do. all these I believe are fully compatible in the all that talking about. even the av7702 mk2 received the dolby vision update... so down necessarily  have to latest versions.

Hi mate. Yeah I've read mixed articles, that some models are getting more updates than others, e.g AV7703 gets more updates than the AV8802A. The prices on a 8802 are ridiculous for a superseded model....

theres honestly NOTHING the av8802A I have wont do. and I throw everything at it with media from multiple sources from uhd player to x box one x to apple tv 4k and fetch tv. run dual displays one uhd one legacy. run a 7.1.5 setup. I've received numerous software updates and even a paid hard update. not wanting for anything. the av8802a is probably ridiculously priced because it is still a very good unit ! and does everything tech wise right now and not lacking spec and support in any ways. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

thats a good deal, am sure can pick up a cheapy AVR from cash convertors to get the $500 off :D

Just now, :) al said:

thats a good deal, am sure can pick up a cheapy AVR from cash convertors to get the $500 off :D

You don't have to.  I spoke to the guys at the shop and all you have to do is take in your old AVR and they'll photograph the model and serial number, which they submit to Yamaha, and you're free to take your old AVR with you as they don't want to have dispose of it themselves.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

You don't have to.  I spoke to the guys at the shop and all you have to do is take in your old AVR and they'll photograph the model and serial number, which they submit to Yamaha, and you're free to take your old AVR with you as they don't want to have dispose of it themselves.  

well there you go ! :D makes perfect sense for both parties ! 

Mmm. dunno, the Yamaha looks like a empty shell haha, compared to the Marantz, what's it missing that makes it look like a shell???

If i went the Yamaha route, I'll have to reprogram my RTI remote control.. might be cheaper to get New control system. I have my entire system programmed including cbus lighting, oppo, media player, humax tv tuner, projector, ps4 etc...e.g hit on, turns on everything required.. hit play, lights go out etc

Is there a simple way to reprogram it all on a new control interface, ???

49 minutes ago, Perth.hifi said:

Mmm. dunno, the Yamaha looks like a empty shell haha, compared to the Marantz, what's it missing thay makes it look like a shell???

I'd i went the Yamaha route, I'll have to reprogram my RTI remote control.. might be cheaper to get New remote haha..

Quite honestly mate after reading what the 5200 specs/features are compared to the 5100 predecessor Ive got presently Ime glad I got such a bargain demo model  even when I look at the price :) You don't usually get a complete web based ethernet gui setup that can control your pre pro remotely for such a price ; btw you can pair your iPhone or android device and toss your old RTI  with any of these .. [depending on how attached you are and all the programming involved in the rta]

All that said the markups on Yamaha compared to d/m holdings and others are not too bad if you pick the right components ie avantage have better componentry than the entry level stuff like sabre dacs and plenty of voltage on the pre outs ; at least on my particular pre pro :winky: 

Edited by cwt

• 3 weeks later...

Sticking with Marantz, ad I've been happy with my sound. If selecting from the below, ate there different DAC and processing stuff thay are better? Is there anything that these units have that will actually make a sound difference thay the human ear will pick up??

Currently running AV8801 with power amps, 9 channels of power and will need another two channels of power, at some stage.

Proposed: upgrade options.
AV7704, xlr outs are nice, already have xlr cables...

SR7012
SR8012, unsure if worth the extra?

AV8802a , if can be found

AV8005, pushing budget, anything worthwhile in it?

• Like 1

I was tossing up between the 7704 and the 8802A but in the end went with the 8802A and am pretty happy with it. I didn't like how the 77xx series comes out with a new one each year (7705 coming out at the end of this year). I heard the DAC in the 88xx series is better so went with that in the end. I mostly listen to stereo but will be eventually using if in a HT setup.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Perth.hifi said:

Proposed: upgrade options.
AV7704, xlr outs are nice, already have xlr cables...
SR7012
SR8012, unsure if worth the extra?
AV8802a , if can be found
AV8005, pushing budget, anything worthwhile in it?

The 8802 has the option of using the audyssey pro kit with its better calibrated mike ; not some flimsy plastic thing that isn't up to the job :) ARC' ; DIRAC; ROOM PERFECT etc all use calibrated mikes to better trace your target curve . 

If you have a large room and want/need an extra 2 ceiling speakers  the 8805 has the newestgriffin lite dsp's .  the 8802's 4 ceilings are fine  though; especially for any UHD discs with pinned 7.1.4 object surround..  

Better componentry in the top of the line :cool: 

I was tossing up between the 7704 and the 8802A but in the end went with the 8802A and am pretty happy with it. I didn't like how the 77xx series comes out with a new one each year (7705 coming out at the end of this year). I heard the DAC in the 88xx series is better so went with that in the end. I mostly listen to stereo but will be eventually using if in a HT setup.
Cool. This is the thing, there's always talk about better DACS, but is it noticable?

Can't seem to find a AV8802.

I see the AV7005 WIQUill also have the IMAX certification, wondering if this is worth the wait??

4 hours ago, Perth.hifi said:

I see the AV7005 WIQUill also have the IMAX certification, wondering if this is worth the wait??

IMAX haven't really spelled out what this entails ; it could be a new dsp mode or just a series of tests given to an avr like thx certification . The important thing is passing a clean UHD signal with all forms of HDR metadata which hdmi2.0a or.b can at this time 

Modern DAC's have s/n ratios many times better than the human ear can hear . The important thing is the combined quality of the analog stage inclusive after the dac ; op amps used ; discrete circuitry etc  can be conditional on the price paid :)  

I went with a new AV8802a a few months ago over the cheaper AV770X series due to the better quality. Still not cheap the AV8802a was still $4500 new. I didn’t see the value vs features in going to the AV8805 for me.

happy with the purchase with no regrets.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 2

I went with a new AV8802a a few months ago over the cheaper AV770X series due to the better quality. Still not cheap the AV8802a was still $4500 new. I didn’t see the value vs features in going to the AV8805 for me.

happy with the purchase with no regrets.

JDH
Yeah, if I'm gonna upgrade, i think best to the get the latest.

SR8012, Is there a SR8013 Coming soon?
Does this model have the latest hdmi board?

I have nine channels of separate amplification, thou, considering moving two parasound a23,s to help with purchase of the next receiver. Or pre pro.

Anyone looking for a 4yr old AV8801?

Are there any receivers on the market with stereo xlr outputs?

AV8805, id love this, but will the SR8012 sound any better?