Sign in to follow this  
buddyev

Fein dac - impressions

Fresh of the production line. Note USB only version.

Casework, display etc is  identical to the Gross.

IMG_3349.thumb.JPG.954d186cd4cb049e3b9e5cdc4d149dfc.JPG

@Gieseler Audio Thank you, looks great... Definitely saving up for one with the 3 inputs, unless you offer ZipMoney any time soon 😂

One more question. Is there a benefit/ negative going the Gross for the extra $350?

Cheers.

EDIT: For budgeting purposes, which is the correct Kraftwerk PSU? Is it the $295 5 / 7 / 8 / 9v 1.5A version?

Edited by reeza78

Hi Leo,

actually we going to look into ZipMoney so I will let you know how I go.

Sound wise the Fein is very similar to the Gross but technically the DAC chip in the Gross has slightly better specs.

The correct Kraftwerk PSU for the Fein/Gross is the M18PSU 12v 4A $375

Cheers

Clay 

@Gieseler Audio Thanks for the information Clay, I really appreciate it. 

And yes PLEASE let me know if you get ZipMoney, that would be awesome 👏🏼. I have 2K is ZipMoney and 1K in ZipPay; more then enough for a new Fein and Kraftwerk 😂 

Cheers, Leo.

Hi everyone.

Well I’ve just  designed/built a seriously upgraded Fein DAC.

It is basically a Fein DAC with an  upgraded/optimised version of the Kraftwerk power supply built into it.

I have also added fully independent regulated left and right power supplies for the analogue section of the DAC chip.

I had a brief listen to it on Friday when I finished  the first one & I’m  extremely impressed.

It’s a similar sound to the Gross & Fein  with the added improvement the Kraftwerk power supply adds.  Even more so as the total capacitance is now 40,000 uf  using  the superb Nichicon gold tune capacitors.  The independent left and right power supplies for the DAC chip  has added an amazing improvement in the separation and soundstage.

This first one is a USB only version and it’s going to be aggressively priced at $2000.  That represents really good value considering  the integrated optimised Kraftwerk power supply plus the extra independent supplies for the DAC.

I will post some internal potos when I get to work tomorrow.

Excited to hear this!!!! Can’t wait

Looks great 👍🏼  I can’t wait to get myself one. 

14 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi everyone.

Well I’ve just  designed/built a seriously upgraded Fein DAC.

It is basically a Fein DAC with an  upgraded/optimised version of the Kraftwerk power supply built into it.

I have also added fully independent regulated left and right power supplies for the analogue section of the DAC chip.

I had a brief listen to it on Friday when I finished  the first one & I’m  extremely impressed.

It’s a similar sound to the Gross & Fein  with the added improvement the Kraftwerk power supply adds.  Even more so as the total capacitance is now 40,000 uf  using  the superb Nichicon gold tune capacitors.  The independent left and right power supplies for the DAC chip  has added an amazing improvement in the separation and soundstage.

This first one is a USB only version and it’s going to be aggressively priced at $2000.  That represents really good value considering  the integrated optimised Kraftwerk power supply plus the extra independent supplies for the DAC.

I will post some internal potos when I get to work tomorrow.

Hi Clay,

Are you going to price the 3 input version aggressively too?

Thanks

Chu

Hi Chu,

the 3-input version uses about fifty more parts & a couple more hours build time so it will be $300 extra

Sorry but every time I build a 3 - input version I am reminded of the considerable longer to build time.

6 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Chu,

the 3-input version uses about fifty more parts & a couple more hours build time so it will be $300 extra

Sorry but every time I build a 3 - input version I am reminded of the considerable longer to build time.

Hmmmm $300 extra is aggressively priced!

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Hmmmm $300 extra is aggressively priced!

Not sure that is fair. Clay was transparent about the parts and effort to build.  Clay's pricing of products is always reasonable... 

40 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Not sure that is fair. Clay was transparent about the parts and effort to build.  Clay's pricing of products is always reasonable... 

Not sure you understood my post Snoopy8. By ‘aggressively priced’ I meant very cheap. When you add up the time it takes to add components to the board, the different case rear for the extra ports and the extra parts, you wonder how Clay makes any money. 

17 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Not sure you understood my post Snoopy8. 

I didn't, sorry.  Following from the previous post of aggressive pricing, it read like it was not cheap enough!  😫 

I didn't, sorry.  Following from the previous post of aggressive pricing, it read like it was not cheap enough!  [emoji31] 

If the post ended in a ? Rather than a ! You might have a point. My 2 cents anyhow.

4 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Chu,

Thanks Clay. I was thinking of a Klein dac but that product has no 3 input version. it seems that I'll have to bite the bullet and get a 3 input Fein instead.

Chu

OK so this will be know as the Fein II 

USB only version  $2000

3 - input version.  $2300

The standard Fein is now discontinued but I do have some remaining stock - all USB only versions.

I will probably do some run out deals on the remaining units.

Currently I don’t have any 3 - input boards but will get those ordered ASAP.

I will update the web site in the next few days.

The first Fein II has now been sold to a Sydney SNA member.

14 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

The first Fein II has now been sold to a Sydney SNA member.

That was a quick sale!  Any chance of getting that member to write a review (probably in a new thread) ?

Last month I decided to dip my toe back into the water and put together a speaker based system again. In mid 2018 I had sold my entire system because, following an accident, there were significant issues with my hearing.  It's finally getting back to where it was and it's wonderful to be back into audio and, more specifically, music.

My first purchase was a used pair of SGR CX4f Mk II and because I no longer had a preamp, I used Roon software to control the volume.  That sucked big time - music was compressed and very lacklustre even through these fabulous speakers.  I tried a Lightspeed attenuator which was terrific - vibrant, neutral and detailed - but returned it to the seller as one channel was well down in volume.  Also the lack of remote volume was putting me off.

After talking to Clay about a DAC feeding directly into the active speakers,  I purchased a Fein with the low output impedance mod. Once again I was cooking with gas! This modded Fein has really exceeded my expectations not only as a DAC but also with its inbuilt volume control.  This is one great piece of electronics.

Now that the system has bedded in, I am so far ahead of where I was pre Fein - I had been running a Chord 2Qute which was feeding the SGRs direct.  It was fairly good but the Fein offers so much more and makes me believe that it's singing as well as most really good preamps. My priorities are detail and imaging and this system does not disappoint.

It's also great to be back into SNA.

System: NUC - switch - SoTM 200 - Geek Labs LPS 4 with USB cleaner - Fein DAC - SGR CX4f Mk II - Heaven

Edited by andrewyuri