Sign in to follow this  
Eddierukiddingvarese

What is worst amp you have had that worked

Just now, andyr said:

Agreed!  :thumb:  But are the modern Naim amps any different?  :)

Andy

I don't know Andy as there hasn't been a Naim dealer in Perth since the late 90's as far as I am aware.

Was never very fond of Nad gear , the 80/90s stuff.

My worst amp, was the first amp I ever built (at age 14 or 15). It was a solid state, single ended design with no negative feedback, using a mighty 2N301 output transistor (which I still have). IE: No global or local feedback. It was a shocker. Unlistenable. My next amp was much better. A push pull, valve amp, using 6V6 valves. A mighty 10 Watts/channel. My fascination with feedback was still with me, so I fitted it with a variable global NFB control. It was educational and delightful to listen to. 

https://alltransistors.com/transistor.php?transistor=2720

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

21 minutes ago, Ozcall said:

I don't know Andy as there hasn't been a Naim dealer in Perth since the late 90's as far as I am aware.

Vince Ross used to sell Naim and Surrounds in Nedlands carry Naim gear now.

1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

Vince Ross used to sell Naim and Surrounds in Nedlands carry Naim gear now.

He he , I worked for Vince in the early to mid 90's. Didn't know SS were selling Naim but it makes sense seeing as Andrew from VR is there.

This is probably the worst amp I've had working, but then again, for $30 it arguably is the best performing amp I've ever had for price/performance ratio...

wII8qeE.jpg

I use it to burn in new components instead of my main amplification, so it spends most of its time playing white noise...

On 09/10/2018 at 2:10 PM, Batty said:

Another mate had an Incatech Claymore, not much better than the Audiolab to be honest and he reckoned my Rock was better than his LP12.

Sounds like Martin.

On 09/10/2018 at 2:32 PM, andyr said:

Andy

I had a 32.5/Hicap/250 for a while and loved it, until I got my DNM.

Edited by Wimbo

I didn't own this particular unit, but I was given it , and quickly gave away, a 70's JVC JR-S series receiver of around 60w output.

They could have used this unit as a implement of torture at Guantanamo bay.

It's high frequency output equals that of a stream of Bats leaving a cave for a nightly feed, or a poorly shielded microwave oven.....I'm sure this would be achievable with a speaker without a tweeter using this amp, it really is that bad.

Absolutely Horrible.....it was running a pair of very low range Sonab Ommni directional speakers....Match made in heaven?

Rotel RB1080. Fortunately I bought it cheap though. Looked nice but it sounded horrible.

Dry and non musical. Should have stripped it and fitted a kit amp.

Kffern

3 hours ago, kffern said:

Rotel RB1080. Fortunately I bought it cheap though. Looked nice but it sounded horrible.

Dry and non musical. Should have stripped it and fitted a kit amp.

Kffern

WHAT  !!!!!!!!!!

l am aware that Rotel gets knocked a bit on forums - the 1070 for example that l had is so different to and not as good as the 1080 which for the price and with my gear sounds just right , to me  - so what did you replace it with ?

Are we talking worst or bad sounding here....

The worst amp i have had is an old JVC quad amp.....not bad sounding though just needs a service etc IMO....

TBH I've never had a bad sounding amp cause i make sure they are fed with a good front end....especially the vintage Rotel ones I have.

Tase.

On 09/10/2018 at 2:32 PM, andyr said:

Andy

Way different Andy..

Better......:unsure:

30 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

WHAT  !!!!!!!!!!

l am aware that Rotel gets knocked a bit on forums - the 1070 for example that l had is so different to and not as good as the 1080 which for the price and with my gear sounds just right , to me  - so what did you replace it with ?

I used a 1080 for about 5 yrs and while it wasn't the most neutral amp I didn't find it overly dry or unmusical. I now use a Rotel (Michi) RHB10 and find it transparent to whatever I feed it with. In the end it comes down to system matching and of course room acoustics.