Sign in to follow this  
Gieseler Audio

Klein III owners thread

1 minute ago, reeza78 said:

Thanks for destroying our dreams Matt... 😉

Haha,

the Klein III is already a great bargain. Like DSD this would add more complexity and would end in a much higher price. Further a one input Klein sounds better than a three input Klein.

Matt

It is a wonderful world we live in, especially when you have guys like Clay selling products at too low prices. I have told him many times that he is undervaluing his products. 

Whilst I may be wrong or he may just wish to provide a really good product to Audiophiles at ridiculous prices, who am I to say he is wrong?

All I can say is that whatever Clay does is a bargain in $ terms. 

I do wish to add that if he is not offering the choices that an individual needs, it is of good reason. He does not have the scale of operations or the profit margin to do so. 

Anyway, for those that wish to buy products of available configuration - go for it , you wont be dissapointed!

Edited by Jventer

35 minutes ago, matth said:

Guys,

Clay answered this point at page 1 of this thread.

Matt

And on page 5 Clay said he '.. would look into it.' 

However I do understand it is probably not practical to manufacture many different versions.

I like in hope though.

8 hours ago, Jeddie said:

And on page 5 Clay said he '.. would look into it.' 

1200 AUD?

You can buy one USB-Klein and one SPDIF-Klein for nearly the same.

Matt

Edited by matth

On 29/01/2019 at 10:56 AM, pete_mac said:

Sorry, I'm drifting a bit off-topic in Clay's Klein III thread, but I currently use a Squeezebox Touch via USB to the Klein III, but I'm seriously considering the Allo USBRIDGE in future, which is supposedly a sonically superior alternative:

https://allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html

@pete_mac

I have been experimenting running the Allo USBridge (5v 3Amp Battery powered) output to the Ifi IDefender, -> ISilencer, -> USB Cable -> IUSB3 Purifier -> Klein 3 dac at a member's place running SGR's CX4F MK2's.  The result was scarily good, It bettered my stock Auralic Aries (non femto version) direct to the Klein 3.  What floored me was the noisefloor..definately much lower than the Aries.

Dont discount the Allo USBridge, it may seem cheap but with a little help, it can be improved quite a bit.

Edited by shogo33

20 minutes ago, shogo33 said:

@pete_mac

I have been experimenting running the Allo USBridge (5v 3Amp Battery powered) output to the Ifi IDefender, -> ISilencer, -> USB Cable -> IUSB3 Purifier -> Klein 3 dac at a member's place running SGR's CX4F MK2's.  The result was scarily good, It bettered my stock Auralic Aries (non femto version) direct to the Klein 3.  What floored me was the noisefloor..definately much lower than the Aries.

Dont discount the Allo USBridge, it may seem cheap but with a little help, it can be improved quite a bit.

Certainly the USBridge is a good device but you listened to it with three additional devices between it and the Klein. How does it sound alone and remember the replacement for USBridge is not far away.

Matt

4 hours ago, matth said:

Certainly the USBridge is a good device but you listened to it with three additional devices between it and the Klein. How does it sound alone and remember the replacement for USBridge is not far away.

Matt

Thats correct and i wont dispute the fact that without the additional devices in the chain, it doesnt compare well with the Aries in stock form.  The IDefender however, doesnt impact the overall sound at all.  The ISilencer in tandem with the IPurifier3 does.. so when at least adding these to the chain, one needs to factori if its worth another $220 to the cost.  However, it is a much cheaper option than a second hand Aries with LPSU option - which is what i use.  

Once that newer version of the USBridge gets released, i will get that one and retest it with the Ifi iSilencer and IPurifier units...let the fun begin :)

Edited by shogo33

Posted (edited)

I recently picked up a Klein III and Kraftwerk power supply to compare to my Audiolab M-DAC that had been serving digital goodness to my Auralic Taurus for quite a while now. I put the M-DAC up for sale shortly after. The other parts of my system are an Auralic Aries Mini feeding Tidal Hifi, Spotify or stored FLAC files to the DAC, with balanced outs from the DAC connecting to an Auralic Tauris MK1 with a balanced cable powering LCD2C's. Below are my thoughts. I'll also preface this by saying that there are a lot of people that know a lot more than me about this stuff. The thoughts below are just my personal reaction to the music I heard.

I'll start off by saying that I was by no means unhappy with the sound produced by my M-DAC. It was a fantastic bit of kit, and at some point I'm certain I'll regret selling it. My purchase of a second-hand Klein III and Kraftwerk mostly came about due to complications from a severe case of upgrade-itis. The M-DAC was very capable, producing a very neutral, clean sound that complemented the mix of sugary sweet sound from the Taurus, and the neutral to dark nature of the LCD2C's. There was nothing that stood out from the sound that the M-DAC produced, which was one of it's greatest strengths, it delivered the music without preference towards the bass, mids or treble. It also did a wonderful job of glossing over the sometimes shoddy 320kbps Spotify streams I fed it. It was pretty hard to find any issues with the sound signature.

However, after reading glowing review after glowing review of Clay's DACs, I begun to keep an eye out for a fiscally responsible way to give his DAC's a go. When a second-hand Klein III and Kraftwerk came up for sale on the classifieds I had no hesitation pulling the trigger.

The Klein III initially arrived without the connecting cord from the Kraftwerk to the Klein, which meant I begun my listening from the standard PSU. It absolutely floored me. As I've said, I found it difficult to be critical of the M-DAC, but the Klein produced a sound that I can describe without getting into details as engaging as ****. I threw on songs that I've previously listened to again and again, and the Klein delivered them to me in a way I hadn't heard them before. The cable arrived very recently, and my experience only improved. My impressions are of the combo of the Klein and Kraftwerk.

The first thing that struck me was the separation. It seemed as if every instrument, every note, had it's own little slice of the soundstage to appear from, with no overlap from other instruments. This became incredibly apparent with percussion, I noticed cymbals and snares sounding crisper and cleaner than I'd recalled, and this was constant between genres, whether it was metal or electronica. The more I've been listening to the Klein the more I've enjoyed the way it presents percussion. This wasn't something I'd been unhappy with from prior DACs, but having heard the Klein I can definitely say I have more appreciation of how soundstage can be presented. 

From there, I begun to enjoy the bass. One of the reasons I purchased my LCD2C's after a day of auditioning at Minidisc was the bass presentation. I have found that I dig the **** out of planar bass. The bass presentation of the Klein just hit me in all the right ways, in that it wasn't overpowering, it wasn't doubling down on the already hefty bass response of my headphones, it simply tightened everything up while distancing the bass from the midbass and mids. This gave it a cleaner sound without any of the muddling together that I'd occasionally heard on some songs. One of the tracks that I love to use to audition new gear is Paradise Circus by Massive Attack. I love the hell out of the song itself, but it also provides a good way to compare the interaction of bass, mids, upper mids and vocals as the song progresses and adds layers. And I've never enjoyed it more than I did with the Klein.

I also found myself enjoying the vocal presentation when it came to softer vocals. I'm a huge fan of Glass Animals, and the singers soft, wafting vocal style absolutely shines with the Klein.

As far as criticisms go? They are very minor and very specific. There's a snare roll in the background at times during Audioslave's 'The Last Remaining Light' that I had to listen for less with the M-DAC. Some detail is a bit more hidden, but this may be due to the fact that other details are more apparent, and make it more difficult to focus on one single section of music. That said, that song itself still sounded better than I'd heard it in the past, as the vocals from Chris Cornell had more body and conveyed more emotion than I'd previously heard.

I would have to say that as far as improvements to the quality of my listening experience goes, the Klein III and Kraftwerk have made the most substantial improvement so far. I am a huge fan and definitely a convert to Clay's work. When the itch of upgrade-itis arrives again, it'll almost certainly mean me giving some money to Clay directly for the latest and greatest.

For an idea of the songs I was listening to, these are a few of the ones that absolutely stood out as sounding better through the Klein:

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Widower
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Honeysuckle
SBTRKT - Wildfire
Doprah - Lucid Visions
Lewis Del Mar - Loud(y)
Massive Attack - Paradise Circus
Alt-J - The Gospel of John Hurt
Glass Animals - Cocoa Hooves
Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light
Muse - Thought Contagion
Rage Against the Machine - Guerilla Radio
STRFKR - Maps

Edited by Snrub

Does there happen to be a Klein III loaner unit to demo?

Hello, just wanted to check if there is anyone in the group happen to compare it with Consonance Reference DSD1.1  Thanks.