Klein III owners thread

Gieseler Audio

16 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

See previous post. Clay was answering Chu's question. Either USB or S/PDIF only, not both.

Maybe a stupid question here - would the USB version be able to process music files straight off a pen drive/external hard drive or would I need a separate device that can stream the music content through USB to the DAC?

39 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Maybe a stupid question here - would the USB version be able to process music files straight off a pen drive/external hard drive or would I need a separate device that can stream the music content through USB to the DAC?

Need seperate device to stream content through USB to DAC.  A DAC dues not have the software to process music files.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guest Muon N'

Thanks, @Suopermanni looks like again It's not going to be suitable for a friend.

Have to check but I think the socket is like this on his player, but need to confirm when I visit next.

1316468156__86.JPG.9f51cb267700f06397e178d98374f84d.JPG

Maybe an adaptor can work, but hate adding those things.

Guest Muon N'
4 minutes ago, Suopermanni said:

@Muon N' You might be able to get hold of a 75ohm BNC to COAX adapter or something. 

Thanks, seems the way to do it :)

Will chat with my friend next time I visit.

Edit: Maybe I'll have a chat with Geoff from Aurealis Audio and see if he can make a suitable cable, that would avoid the extra connection points (I have never played with BNC)

Edited by Muon N'

2 hours ago, katattack74 said:

You guys are in for a serious treat.  Absolutely love my Klein III (usb).  Guys, as others and myself have pointed out, Clays 12v 4a LPSU is a very worthy upgrade.

?   Please post a review, without and with PSU, to help others...  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, katattack74 said:

You guys are in for a serious treat.  Absolutely love my Klein III (usb).  Guys, as others and myself have pointed out, Clays 12v 4a LPSU is a very worthy upgrade.

Agreed 100% - a fantastic DAC, and I can't wait to hear the LPSU soon!

• Like 1

On 07/11/2018 at 9:54 PM, snak3 said:

just discovered this brand and this Klein 3 dac now hopefully someone here can make me understand how good is this dac. I use to own those products : Asus Xonar u7,  Asus Xonar STU, Asus Xonar Essence one Muses ed, Oppo HA 2 SE, Fiio x1 and now Fiio x5 III gen and i think this dap is as well the best dac i ever had. Now after my short list is the Klein 3 any better ? Btw i intend to use this dac via usb with my laptop or android device with an Elemental Watson hybrid amp + DT 1990 PRo.

Not sure if anyone has answered you or whether my comments will help. The only DAC remotely close to those on your list I have is an Oppo 205 player which was well reviewed for it’s audio performance and has doubled in price since it was discontinued.

It took all of 3 seconds for me to hear that my Konverter (Clays DAC/Pre) was in every way better than the 205. Far more natural, harshess was gone but no loss in clarity (better actually), vocals far clearer and proper space between items on the sound stage, sound has a natural richness, music just flows better, transients like a drum hit are far more real.

The 205 now only runs the front via coax to the Konverter and analogue out to the rears.

I now have a Klein III for my second system with S/PDIF taking optical off the TV and coax off an Oppo 103. Sound again leaves the 205 for dead. Haven’t done a back to back of the Konverter and Klein III. I suspect the Klein III with upgraded power supply would be ahead. The Konverter on here shows people rating it close to similar as a DAC to PS Audio Directstream.

Clay may use the same chips as others but a key aspect, as I understand, is the analogue stage to get things to line level etc. Plus the usually talked about clock and supply voltage. This would appear to be what sets many DACs apart and where companies offer upgrades on products like the 205. Clay knows his stuff in getting this right.

Edited by DrSK

17 hours ago, DrSK said:

Not sure if anyone has answered you or whether my comments will help. The only DAC remotely close to those on your list I have is an Oppo 205 player which was well reviewed for it’s audio performance and has doubled in price since it was discontinued.

It took all of 3 seconds for me to hear that my Konverter (Clays DAC/Pre) was in every way better than the 205. Far more natural, harshess was gone but no loss in clarity (better actually), vocals far clearer and proper space between items on the sound stage, sound has a natural richness, music just flows better, transients like a drum hit are far more real.

The 205 now only runs the front via coax to the Konverter and analogue out to the rears.

I now have a Klein III for my second system with S/PDIF taking optical off the TV and coax off an Oppo 103. Sound again leaves the 205 for dead. Haven’t done a back to back of the Konverter and Klein III. I suspect the Klein III with upgraded power supply would be ahead. The Konverter on here shows people rating it close to similar as a DAC to PS Audio Directstream.

Clay may use the same chips as others but a key aspect, as I understand, is the analogue stage to get things to line level etc. Plus the usually talked about clock and supply voltage. This would appear to be what sets many DACs apart and where companies offer upgrades on products like the 205. Clay knows his stuff in getting this right.

regardless, you're feedback is very useful. I bought recently a topping d50 which i reviewed and i must say i'm very disappointed, so the klein III will keep sitting on my short list.

Edited by snak3
  • Like 3

If ones coming I'll likely get with a Kraftwerk PSU as well. Would be an incredible upgrade for my downstairs system. The Gross DAC is staying in the main until it's time for a recap  ;)

I'd place an order in maybe a month or so. I've a few items coming in the post and need to space things out so as not to get in trouble with my wife. Is the input selector on the front of the Klein III? I'd need a front 3 position selector switch or some such :)

If going ahead, I can pay in advance if required. It's just a case of spacing out receipt of items to my home address ;)

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I'd place an order in maybe a month or so. I've a few items coming in the post and need to space things out so as not to get in trouble with my wife. Is the input selector on the front of the Klein III? I'd need a front 3 position selector switch or some such :)

If going ahead, I can pay in advance if required. It's just a case of spacing out receipt of items to my home address ;)

Haha..i got sprung by the missus buying new stuff when i shouldnt..  but  u know what..its christmas and the bills will always be rolling..some months more than others.. JUST DO IT!

• Like 1