65 inch 4K Which One

I just bought the Sony X85F 4K UDR 65’’ tv. I researched a lot for spec. This is a 200hz etc. lovely looking tv. Was originally $3095 I paid $2090 at retravision. Good guys have it on offer for $2295 and said they would let me have it for 2200. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krell_audio said:

I just bought the Sony X85F 4K UDR 65’’ tv. I researched a lot for spec. This is a 200hz etc. lovely looking tv. Was originally $3095 I paid $2090 at retravision. Good guys have it on offer for $2295 and said they would let me have it for 2200. Hope this helps.

That’s edge lit from specs, Not backlit that I was after.

Actually modern edge lit LED/LCDs work quite well, despite poor local dimming.   Recently purchased Samsung 65" Q8 FN (full array backlit) and about the only advantage over my 2017 Samsung 75" MU 7000 (edge lit) is slightly better shadow detail in dark scenes (which comes from the local dimming).  In fact, the MU 7000 has better screen uniformity, almost no dirty screen effect (which is present in the Q8FN) and manages to produce reasonably good highlight detail in HDR.

I believe that Sony X85F will do a similar job, although I've heard the step down 75X is not so good.   The Samsung 2018 65" NU 8000 is also a decent edge lit, TV which you can pick up for about $3000 or a little under.  

• Like 2

On 08/10/2018 at 8:11 PM, Peter_F said:

The Panasonic 65″ TH-65FZ950U OLEDs are certainly coming down in price:  https://www.westcoasthifi.com.au/product/panasonic-65-th-65fz950u-oled-4k-ultra-hd-tv/

I was hoping to hold off until the post Christmas sale........but very tempting. 

20% off the good guys if purchased through their ebay store.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Panasonic-TH-65FZ950U-65-165cm-OLED-UHD-Smart-TV/113176598966?epid=20023958560&hash=item1a59d9d9b6:g:lHoAAOSwWFRbe1Y4:rk:3:pf:0

1 hour ago, Marknm said:

I saw this offer and noted that they've only sold one so far.  I wonder if they could offer that price in store as I'd prefer a local sale in case there's any issues?

37 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

I saw this offer and noted that they've only sold one so far.  I wonder if they could offer that price in store as I'd prefer a local sale in case there's any issues?

Yes when buying online you can pick your store to pickup from.

We did that for a washing machine last time they had 20% off.

Edit: Shows only Osborne Park having stock.

Also Harvey Norman said they will match the price when I showed the Goodguys price on ebay.

Edited by rocky500

10 hours ago, rocky500 said:

Also Harvey Norman said they will match the price when I showed the Goodguys price on ebay.

Thanks for the info Rob.  I'll make some enquiries.   :) 

18 hours ago, rocky500 said:

I ended up buying one through West Coast HiFi as they matched the Good Guy's ebay 20% off price. ? 

It should be delivered early next week.  :)   

• Like 4

On 08/10/2018 at 5:38 PM, pc9 said:

Actually modern edge lit LED/LCDs work quite well, despite poor local dimming.   Recently purchased Samsung 65" Q8 FN (full array backlit) and about the only advantage over my 2017 Samsung 75" MU 7000 (edge lit) is slightly better shadow detail in dark scenes (which comes from the local dimming).  In fact, the MU 7000 has better screen uniformity, almost no dirty screen effect (which is present in the Q8FN) and manages to produce reasonably good highlight detail in HDR.

I believe that Sony X85F will do a similar job, although I've heard the step down 75X is not so good.   The Samsung 2018 65" NU 8000 is also a decent edge lit, TV which you can pick up for about $3000 or a little under.  

You are correct, the trick is to NOT use the Brightness control at all, or only in extremely small amounts.

As a rule you should only use the Backlight and Contrast controls to set light output [how bright your screen will appear] with these types of screens, to get the best out of them.

As soon as you use the brightness control, that's when the edges of the screen can noticeably become washed out, and the major reason people complain about edge light screens, get it right, there little to no problem

20 hours ago, Peter_F said:

I ended up buying one through West Coast HiFi as they matched the Good Guy's ebay 20% off price. ? 

It should be delivered early next week.  :)   

I had a look at the review of this TV at the AVS forum [link at West coast HiFi site]

WOW, the grey scale tracking is very impressive out of the box when using the PRO preset, you wouldn't need to do much to it at all, a few points tweaked either way or each of the 10 point IRE's and it would be perfect.

You can get the PANASONIC LCD/LED screens looking the same, but they don't have the PRO presets, so you need calibration gear to get them that way, and the Grey scale tracking is way off out of the box [see my calibration report in this thread several posts ago]

Also the input lag is pretty good for a OLED, so gaming on it is a realistic prospect, but I still have my nagging doubts about screen retention of static images on OLED displays, like in game HUD's or scores etc......maybe a problem if you play one particular game regularly for many hours at a time.

11 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

I had a look at the review of this TV at the AVS forum [link at West coast HiFi site]

WOW, the grey scale tracking is very impressive out of the box when using the PRO preset, you wouldn't need to do much to it at all, a few points tweaked either way or each of the 10 point IRE's and it would be perfect.

You can get the PANASONIC LCD/LED screens looking the same, but they don't have the PRO presets, so you need calibration gear to get them that way, and the Grey scale tracking is way off out of the box [see my calibration report in this thread several posts ago]

Also the input lag is pretty good for a OLED, so gaming on it is a realistic prospect, but I still have my nagging doubts about screen retention of static images on OLED displays, like in game HUD's or scores etc......maybe a problem if you play one particular game regularly for many hours at a time.

Looking forward to it arriving and getting it going.  I'm not into gaming so no issues there, but it should be a great experience combined with my new SVS subs and Elektra 7 channel amp.  Next is to upgrade the Denon AVR4311 and I should be right for the next few years.    

11 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

Looking forward to it arriving and getting it going.  I'm not into gaming so no issues there, but it should be a great experience combined with my new SVS subs and Elektra 7 channel amp.  Next is to upgrade the Denon AVR4311 and I should be right for the next few years.    

That's the problem with updating a TV, you end up needing to update the HT amp as well, as usually some new format / spec has made the old one obsolete....usual culprit is HDMI spec

2015 need a HT amp with 3D pass through.....2017 ditch 3D pass through, need 4K Passthrough, Dolby flavor of the year and ability to stream with app's.....2020 ???

Next HT amp upgrade I'm going separates, re Pre and Power, so any new spec'd stuff will only make the Pre amp out of date.

Edited by Tweaky

8 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

DITTO, I'm currently running Yamaha amp after years of Marantz.

Marantz were more meaty, sound wise, but Yamaha have it for clarity, and since 85%+ is dialogue in HT, the Yamaha wins IMHO