On 11/10/2018 at 4:13 PM, davewantsmoore said:

check that all the sampling rates are the same

Now I wonder what would happen if I use my Naim and Cyrus DACs..

@audio_file: Wondering why you are using a Dac in the chain?

With REW, my Umik microphone and Windows laptop/Mac Mini I do the following:

• Umik connected to computer via usb
  • I use a cable that connects to the headphone out on the computer and to my left and right inputs on my amp. It is a 3.5 audio jack on one end and 2 RCA at the other end. Sometimes I use a cable with a 3.5 audio jack on one end and only one RCA on the other end.
  • REW generates sound which is fed to the speakers via the amp only and the Mic via usb records the sound.

5 minutes ago, Jventer said:

• I use a cable that connects to the headphone out on the computer and to my left and right inputs on my amp. It is a 3.5 audio jack on one end and 2 RCA at the other end. Sometimes I use a cable with a 3.5 audio jack on one end and only one RCA on the other end.
  • REW generates sound which is fed to the speakers via the amp only and the Mic via usb records the sound.

Your still using a dac - just the one in your computer.

Digital out from computer means your measuring your audio system dac within the chain as well - gives a more complete picture. I guess this thread is a good example of the possible dac contribution - all other things being equal.

31 minutes ago, Jventer said:

As @AudioGeek said, it's still using a DAC. I just thought an external DAC has a better chance to be more accurate.

@Jventer One way to see it is to view a DAC as an external sound card that bypasses your internal sound card.

@audio_file

Thanks, now I understand re the dac in the chain.

I am now very interested in how your other dacs will measure (and why there is such a difference between the 2 you have used)?

Edited by Jventer

9 minutes ago, Jventer said:

I am now very interested in how your other dacs will measure (and why there is such a difference between the 2 you have used)?

Me too, it is much more than expected, especially since it doesn't sound that off with music. I wonder if it is due to time smearing or something else, no idea.